Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

As for Karl Chew's low income project on Fulton, no tax credits.  Boohoo.  Haven't heard if anything happened since.  We can only hope it's in the dustbin of bad ideas.

It was my understanding Karl Chew DID get his tax credits for the Fulton/Sheldon project this past spring.   It's suppose to be 50/50 market rate/work force.  While I'm not a fan of more "work force housing " downtown, Chew's projects all seem to be very well put together.  Has anyone else heard otherwise? 

As for this project, I don't see a problem with making use of the parking ramp right across the street.  If this thing is built, It will have a skywalk directly from the ramp to the tower. The city has the space in that ramp to lease out the spots.

No, it's quite possible they could have mentioned EpiCentre in one of the interviews. I haven't watched any of them. And I wasn't at the city commission meeting either.

I've read here on UrbanPlanet in the Charlotte section that indeed the "shine has come off the apple." :) Sounds like it has had a rough go a few years ago with fights and violence, police calls, underage drinking, went into foreclosure before it was completely finished, etc..

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/13/4907097/epicentre-sold-to-calif-real-estate.html#.U_3GNGN2jk0

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/man-left-with-brain-damage-after-violent-epicentre/nGzfK/

Yes, the EpiCentre turned into a real trainwreck.  As it turns out it was not developed by the Cordish Co., the folks responsible for the KC Power & Light entertainment project, the under-development Ballpark Village in St. Louis as well as similar 'entertainment districts' throughout the country and by most accounts fairly exclusionary in their operating practices.  I'll be watching if that name comes up during the BOB project.

So I haven't been to Urbanplanet in awhile, and when I clicked the link for this topic, it took me to page one.  So I opened the article and it looks like this project has just reverted back to something very similar to the original idea from 2008, only with residential instead of the "boutique hotel", which is great.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/03/a_bigger_bob_gilmore_planning.html

"GRAND RAPIDS -- Greg Gilmore's plans to expand the B.O.B. are getting bigger.

Gilmore said today he wants to buy the city-owned parking lots next to his entertainment complex so he can build a "House of Blues-type" performance venue, a 200-room boutique hotel, 40 condominiums, a 250-space parking ramp and two ground-level "piazzas" that could include "everything from a piano bar to an art gallery."

The performance venue would be built below the piazzas while the parking garage, hotel and condominiums would be located in a 20-story tower, Gilmore said."

Edited by fotoman311

It did kind of come full circle. Thankful that the 2nd and 3rd concept never came to fruition. 

Someone said they don't think Gilmore will pull it off. Personally, I think this is a good development at the right time (especially the residential) - plus Orion is involved and they seem to be quite good at getting things done lately. 

Joe

It did kind of come full circle. Thankful that the 2nd and 3rd concept never came to fruition. 

Someone said they don't think Gilmore will pull it off. Personally, I think this is a good development at the right time (especially the residential) - plus Orion is involved and they seem to be quite good at getting things done lately. 

Joe

I think you might be right. Even if you watch the flyover presentation, Wheeler says something like "we'll own from the 4th floor up." So perhaps Orion putting together the capital to get the tower built will help Gilmore get the lower part built.

Joe

I think it was me who said that.  I'm trying to avoid being disappointed (again) but dang I really really hope I'm wrong and you are right.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody want to bed a few beers from Founders that we don't hear anything more about this for a year and when we do it's changed again?    I'll be happy to be wrong on this one. 

I dislike giving away free beer.  Although if they add five stories of parking under it to add another 50 feet of height, I will buy you two fresh, frothy rootbeers from Schmohz.

• 3 months later...

Given the history of this project I'm not surprised the Venue complex is being downsized.  On the other hand, I'm surprised because I thought Wheeler was bullish on the downtown rental market.  Are they already thinking the market will be over saturated?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/01/bob_expansion_in_downtown_gran.html#incart_river

Edited by mpchicago

Given the history of this project I'm not surprised the Venue complex is being downsized.  On the other hand, I'm surprised because I thought Wheeler was bullish on the downtown rental market.  Are they already thinking the market will be over saturated?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/01/bob_expansion_in_downtown_gran.html#incart_river

Maybe the financing package came back and they couldn't do 20? I like that they're doing some condo units. I think the market is ready, and building a condo tower from scratch is a tall order.

• 1 month later...