Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes! The comments on the story are a bit harsh.

-496bdc867ad5443a.JPG

For what it is, it looks perfectly fine. Places like this in bigger cities dont look all that different. Yeah, it isnt gloriously beautiful, but neither is Devos Place to be honest.

I can only assume that people on Mlive that arent fans of this design dont remember what this site looked like back in 1995. Or the previous "bobville" disaster proposal that really would have been tacky.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Yeah, here it was before. If even looks like the existing entrance of The BOB is all blocked off? Or is that just poor rendering?

The new design looks like the Monroe side is back-of-house, with a large loading dock, an exit door from a stairwell (fire exit), and ticket vending machines. Honestly I'll be surprised if this gets approved as drawn. Do ticket vending machines constitute "active use?"

16111359234_1efc989d0e_b.jpg

The old floorplan showed that area as an "alley" across the entire site. Wonder if that was nixed? Hard to tell from that angle.

14860496879_e8f3efdd2a_o.jpg

• Like 1

Even if the entrance doesn't directly face Monroe and is windowless, they can do a much better job of making the facade interesting and pedestrian-friendly. Built like this, it would totally kill the pedestrian experience and essentially turn Monroe from an "A" street (primary, pedestrian friendly street) to a "C" street (support/service street). 

Looks like it doesn't even have enough room for a sidewalk! I would allow them to not have a main entrance or windows if they so choose, but make them shift the building (to put back the mandatory sidewalk/streetscape requirements) and add some architectural, vegetative, interactive elements to improve the pedestrian experience. 

• Like 1

Its better then I thought it would be. If all is approved, it should provide some nice infill, and some more apartments which is needed!

There not showing it from the backside. They are not showing the Ottawa st side. hmmmm 

They are, they're just not posted here.

OK, someone take a look at these and see if you can decipher them and give us a synopsis. "The Alley" is a delivery vehicle "tunnel" that will double as a pedestrian access from the West End of the site to the East end beer garden and Venue entrance. No word as to what's going on with the weird BOB entrance in the drawing.

16735256791_42db9f2da4_o.jpg

16529207607_16527a2211_o.jpg

16735257841_c755f540d6_o.jpg

16549052890_a3c2ecc121_o.jpg

16736465935_4521b7ee63_o.jpg

16735392382_c543d200a6_o.jpg

16550354039_9d99e3af60_o.jpg

16549054020_e237025c51_o.jpg

16116525433_200fe2973b_o.jpg

16529221607_e0471c2527_o.jpg

16710590296_8c8f84d796_o.jpg

Or if you want to read the application:

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/PlanningCommission/PC%20PACKET%203-12-15.pdf

• Like 1

For once, I would like to see a rendering come back better than the previous. Actually, the B.O.B. did this with the previous renderings, but it would be so nice if someone actually said "oh, we added one more thing to make it look better" instead of taking away 10 things to make it worse. :(

Joe

I dont mind the tower. The venue part we wouldnt be able to judge until its completed because the rendering makes it look like a blob instead of the bob

I don't "mind" the tower either, but the whole transition area from the tower to the Venue to the BOB is so clunky looking. It's almost as if they designed the interior floorplans first for function with no regard for how it could look sleek and seamless on the outside. I know there's a lot going on with the use of all these buildings working together but c'mon, it could be a lot more inspiring design-wise.

The balcony off the tower overlooking the beer garden is interesting. I assume it's a community room for the apartments. Looks like Darth Vader or Lando Calrissian may appear shortly. :)

I like the tower as well (even though I wish it was still the taller version). It's the venue that is problematic (in my eyes). I get that windows are a hassle for a concert venue. I thought the last rendering did a good job by making it look like a concert venue and having nice architectural elements and a curved facade. 

I think the new rendering looks like an old building that once had windows but over the years they got bricked over. 

Joe

• Like 1

I think it looks decent.  It's a typical urban residential building, and any/every residential building downtown is beneficial to the city.  I don't care for sky walks because they subtract from the street activity.  But I realized they are desirable in colder climates.  

The first couple of floors look pretty clunky. I too hope the Monroe side gets tweaked. The pillars and the facade on the Ottawa side are pretty bizarre; looks like the building started tipping over and had to be propped up. Given the unique shape of the parcel it would be nice to see it filled out a bit more. Another "plaza" along a major downtown road that will be empty outside of ArtPrize; coupled with the setback of the Kent County Arena the existing "Fulton Gap" will be maintained.

The tower looks okay. I'm not sure why the white corner panels are necessary. Such a color will likely be dingy in a few years, but more importantly it seems to block significant balcony views. Seems excessive if it's meant to provide privacy. I like the choice of a more transparent glass though; would prefer to see the whole tower done in such a way.

I'm all for additional housing units downtown, but if everyone shared the "who cares what it looks like...it's kind of tall! let's build it!" attitude we'd end up with a pretty crummy looking cityscape.

The first couple of floors look pretty clunky. I too hope the Monroe side gets tweaked. The pillars and the facade on the Ottawa side are pretty bizarre; looks like the building started tipping over and had to be propped up. Given the unique shape of the parcel it would be nice to see it filled out a bit more. Another "plaza" along a major downtown road that will be empty outside of ArtPrize; coupled with the setback of the Kent County Arena the existing "Fulton Gap" will be maintained.

The tower looks okay. I'm not sure why the white corner panels are necessary. Such a color will likely be dingy in a few years, but more importantly it seems to block significant balcony views. Seems excessive if it's meant to provide privacy. I like the choice of a more transparent glass though; would prefer to see the whole tower done in such a way.

That is true. The building sits at a unique 45 degree angle to the rest of downtown, so why not take advantage of the views from the corner balconies? Instead we have a moderne' "pinwheel" design with the white walls jutting out. Maybe the whole building is going to spin in the wind and create its own energy? :)

16116525433_8259226a30_b.jpg