Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

2 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

^^Agreed

I can't tell what's going on at street level, but based on this view I think they should move the marquee here, since that's where it would appear ticket holders will enter.  Plus, it's right on the street, whereas the other spot is inset and blocked by the nearby walls.

IMAG0071.thumb.jpg.910c9b9ab15cc5c85fba68daf4dbb1df.jpg

Sorry to borrow your photo @ironyisadeadscene.

I think that's where the dumpsters and stuff will go.  But I could ha wrong. 

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I think that's where the dumpsters and stuff will go.  But I could ha wrong. 

Looking at the floor plans again, and yeah, there appears to be both a trash room and a large corridor to the Fulton St. side.  It seems like most patrons would want to enter from Fulton St.  Despite the earlier images that showed a ticket booth facing Monroe, I don't see it in the floor plan.

Meh nothing really blows my mind on their upcoming concerts.  Seems like a lot of butt rock and older bands.  Flaming Lips would be cool to see though.  Seems like this place will give The Intersection a run for it's money.

53 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

UpLoading dock for sure

IMAG0075.jpg

The entry with the green lights around it and the car sitting in front of is the "alley" they have labeled on the plan. That is supposedly going to go all the way through so you don't have to go all the way around the BOB to get to the main entrance on the arena side.

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I ran into Greg Gilmore at Sovengard the other night and chatted for a bit. He said that LiveNation/HOB is working to fill the entire month of February with events for the kickoff month. That's a lot of activity downtown for a typically cold winter month. 

I read recently that the Van Andel Arena is having it's best year in 18 years (it's been open 20), and that they have something like 30 concerts lined up this year - they average is about 20. 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, tSlater said:

The fact the decorative part of the wall and the wall itself don't match in colour feels a bit odd.  Like a 30-year old white device made of multiple materials in which some yellowed with time and others did not.

I think the color of the decorative part is factory color, and the wall is unfinished. Expect a few coats of paint to be applied to be for a unified color. 

Joe

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tSlater said:

The fact the decorative part of the wall and the wall itself don't match in colour feels a bit odd.  Like a 30-year old white device made of multiple materials in which some yellowed with time and others did not.

Yes, the gray parts are poured concrete, the yellowish parts are some kind of EIFS material I would guess. I would have to believe they'll get painted. Although I would think it's difficult to exterior paint this time of year? 

• Like 1

^They should only paint in these temps if they are going to scaffold the wall, plastic off the area and apply heat. I believe there may be some recent advances in cold weather paint too, but I'm not very familiar with those.

That said, the detailing on this side of the building looks to be straight out of early 90s suburbia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew.w said:

^They should only paint in these temps if they are going to scaffold the wall, plastic off the area and apply heat. I believe there may be some recent advances in cold weather paint too, but I'm not very familiar with those.

That said, the detailing on this side of the building looks to be straight out of early 90s suburbia.

It reminds me of Star Theater in Southfield. So, yes. 

star-amc-southfield-theater2.jpg

Personally, I don't mind the facade. I see what you mean about it looking suburban, but I think places like Cinemark and Star actually stole the old art deco urban movie theatre design and applied it to a suburban design. So I think this actually looks urban, but I get the reference. I think is they put a beautiful Marquee sign up, like they have in the rendering, it'll look fantastic.

Joe

49 minutes ago, Aiga said:

I heard a rumor from a very reliable source that the name may change .

I hope they change it to House of Blues (or even Live Nation). 20 Monroe Live doesn't roll of the tongue easily. :)

Joe

• Like 1

Numericle addresses are not very memorable, unless they're 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. or 40 Wall St.  But that changed when Donald Trump bought 40 Wall and now he has 1600 also. The exterior looks great, how about  The Savoy Bluesroom or The Monroe Savoy?

Edited by SEsideguy
Additional comments

8 hours ago, Aiga said:

She would not say, but gave the impression it would be House of Blues.. 

That would be much better. We will see.

It would be an instant "big deal" if they named it House of Blues. That'd be a huge feather in downtowns cap!

And they have cool branding.  Wonder if the B.O.B. Will change one of their ready air at concepts to House of Blues (Bobarino's would be a good choice).

Joe

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It would be an instant "big deal" if they named it House of Blues. That'd be a huge feather in downtowns cap!

And they have cool branding.  Wonder if the B.O.B. Will change one of their ready air at concepts to House of Blues (Bobarino's would be a good choice).

Joe

That reminds me, were they going to somehow connect the BOB to the new House of Blues? (I'm just going to start calling it that) :) So you could grab dinner at the BOB and not have to go outside to go to your show?