Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

If no local architects were willing to provide "comp" concepts to win the job and the client opts for an out of town client; no local firm makes any money or a signature portfolio building. Who wins? The Client who gets free concepts and the out of town firm that is eventually chosen to do the work. It sounds like a capitalist idea in a capitalist economy to me. I don't see the injustice.

Edited by jdkacz

I sure hope it's not the highest profile project in the next 10 years...if so, we have a lot more to worry about in GR than a debate about design fees.

Well you never know. The building boom going on downtown right now is really an anomaly. Is it sustainable?

I have to say that I too was thinking Gilmore's project might be the biggest for a while (and I'm normally an optimist). I think unless or until a new mass transit system is put in place, it's going to taper off, IMO.

Well you never know. The building boom going on downtown right now is really an anomaly. Is it sustainable?

I have to say that I too was thinking Gilmore's project might be the biggest for a while (and I'm normally an optimist). I think unless or until a new mass transit system is put in place, it's going to taper off, IMO.

I'd wager two things:

1) This thing won't ever happen

2) It isn't close to the biggest thing

I think the "boom" is just beginning.

I'd wager two things:

1) This thing won't ever happen

2) It isn't close to the biggest thing

I think the "boom" is just beginning.

I don't think it will be the biggest, the tallest or the most expensive, but the concert venue and retail/restaurant piazzas will be the biggest cultural addition to Grand Rapids for a long time.

... If this thing gets built

The area is off to a good turnaround, but unless it continues to increase at a faster rate I doubt there will be a "boom".

Exactly bossmanbill. We're at a defining moment right now in Grand Rapids. The people who think the momentum has built up enough to just carry itself are dreaming (dangerously I may add).

Exactly bossmanbill. We're at a defining moment right now in Grand Rapids. The people who think the momentum has built up enough to just carry itself are dreaming (dangerously I may add).

There's plenty of distressed inventory and bank owned stuff going on, too.

The city is not immune to economic reality....

But some individuals are immune to it...look at who's buying, where and at what prices. These are folks who aren't used to losing money.

I think it's safe to assume they have a plan.

I don't think we're at critical, self-sustaining levels yet, but I think we will be once the next round of larger projects comes in.

Just my opinion, shared for your amusement.

Does that include the two north Monroe hotels?

Edited by wingbert

Ferget this - i want him to open the taco stand he promised at Fulton & Carlton!

:D Yeah, if he can't even do that. BTW: has anyone noticed if the opera center has started there yet?

And localtalent, the problem then is that it's the same old downtown group. And they aren't getting any younger. :P

wingbert, I think one of the Monroe North hotels has a 50% chance of being built. The other has 0%.

:D Yeah, if he can't even do that. BTW: has anyone noticed if the opera center has started there yet?

And localtalent, the problem then is that it's the same old downtown group. And they aren't getting any younger. :P

wingbert, I think one of the Monroe North hotels has a 50% chance of being built. The other has 0%.

I think we're going in circles a bit....but: I think the big boys will make one final splash and that splash will be significant enough to draw plenty of additional investment (from smaller local investors wanting to get in on the fun and outside folks who recognize what GR has going on).

Also, the "big boys" aren't the ones doing cool projects like Gallery and 38 Commerce. I just think that type of stuff will accelerate, not drop off.

But you Debby Downers sure make things sound depressing. :fun:

I think we're going in circles a bit....but: I think the big boys will make one final splash and that splash will be significant enough to draw plenty of additional investment (from smaller local investors wanting to get in on the fun and outside folks who recognize what GR has going on).

Also, the "big boys" aren't the ones doing cool projects like Gallery and 38 Commerce. I just think that type of stuff will accelerate, not drop off.

But you Debby Downers sure make things sound depressing. :fun:

Well most of us schlubs don't have the benefit of knowing about all the big plans. :) As far as 38 Commerce and Gallery, I agree we'll see more of those throughout the next decade. But at current condo/apartment absorption rates, it definitely won't constitute a "boom". Unless of course some other new catalyst changes the downtown dynamic. I'm hoping for that. Right now, there's just the streetcar proposal. Personally I don't believe the BRT will drive any new development downtown.

And localtalent, what fun would life be if you didn't have people to go back and forth with all the time. :silly:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Next month, maybe? Looks like he's starting small with the ability to add over time. I'd love to see the full thing, but maybe this is a good way to get going.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ss...s_for_addi.html

I told you guys all the juicy news is going to come out of the Parking Commission this year. :rofl: It's unfortunate too, because they don't post their agendas or minutes online.

I don't know if he's chosen a design team yet, but I've heard that ProgressiveAE's proposal is pretty sweet. I think he had basically had every big firm in town work up some ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

I told you guys all the juicy news is going to come out of the Parking Commission this year. :rofl: It's unfortunate too, because they don't post their agendas or minutes online.

I don't know if he's chosen a design team yet, but I've heard that ProgressiveAE's proposal is pretty sweet. I think he had basically had every big firm in town work up some ideas.

Design for the first phase of expansion (20,000 square feet) to be unveiled this week at the Parking Commission meeting, per the GRBJ.

• 1 month later...