Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

large_bobville.jpg

Looks nice... creepy, I had a dream about this project and it matched the image... :scared:

There's another layout here: http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2009/03...ous_entert.html

I think I like it. Maybe in the future they could do the Rail Jam right down the middle of the walkway, with the back of the ramp along Ionia and a band playing in the ampitheater and people shopping and watching from all along the the buildings on either side. Of course, on second viewing, the trees shown in the open area might prevent something like this.

I think this would offer a great complimentary venue for Rosa Parks during things like Festival and Celebration on the Grand.

Maybe. Anyone ever heard of Carey Design? Based on all the canopies going on, I wonder if they are the ones that did Rose's expansion.

I think this might answer the question:

The 20,000-square-foot space will be similar to a festival marketplace and feature retail and hospitality "kiosks," Gilmore said. The space could be used to host corporate events, festivals and other public gatherings.

Yeah, thanks twoshort. I'm not sure if I understand it more now, or less...

That North elevation reminds me of something I just saw at City Walk in Universal Studios a few weeks ago.

3331686889_186405e546_o.jpg

3331681757_87274f1417_o.jpg

Cross section:

3331681971_e20bd04cbe_o.jpg

And all those boxes in the floor plans appear to be vendor kiosks (like at the Arena):

3331682069_62c2aca090_o.jpg

And the underground portion appears to be a bar called "the Grotto"

3332528236_5e05b33044_o.jpg

I wonder if the kiosks will double as a farmer's market? When is the city hearing on this? It'd be interesting to hear more details.

I wonder if the kiosks will double as a farmer's market? When is the city hearing on this? It'd be interesting to hear more details.

As far as I am aware, none of the vendors from the Fulton St. Farmer's Market have been approached about this. I will be attending a Vendor Committee meeting in the next few weeks. I can find out for sure at that point.

I would love to find out more information as well. It sounds like it could be really cool. You could see a live show from so many different vantage points.

I wonder if the kiosks will double as a farmer's market? ...

Yep, your festival marketplace consumer is surely in the market for a big bag of fresh-grown produce. Nothing adds to an evening out like hauling around some eggs, cauliflower, and bakery.

The vendors could be sunglasses, umbrellas, earmuffs, and cell phones, for that matter.

Yep, your festival marketplace consumer is surely in the market for a big bag of fresh-grown produce. Nothing adds to an evening out like hauling around some eggs, cauliflower, and bakery.

The vendors could be sunglasses, umbrellas, earmuffs, and cell phones, for that matter.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking more of like a weekly artisans market more than a farmer's market.

Or possibly a combination of both.

The Pike Street Market in Seattle has fresh produce and fish, among other things, and it's considered one of the most unique, charming things about downtown Seattle. Draws all sorts of people downtown. I don't know if the market is open in the evenings, but it enlivens downtown Seattle the rest of the time. If it is open late, I could see myself stopping by to pick up stuff before heading home, at least enough for breakfast the next day.

The Pike Street Market in Seattle has fresh produce and fish, among other things, and it's considered one of the most unique, charming things about downtown Seattle. Draws all sorts of people downtown. I don't know if the market is open in the evenings, but it enlivens downtown Seattle the rest of the time. If it is open late, I could see myself stopping by to pick up stuff before heading home, at least enough for breakfast the next day.

Been there (several times); it's a great place. Nice mix of produce, flying fish, coffee, treats, artisan stuff, more treats, and tourist-appealing items. IIRC one booth had unique Pacific NW-designed rainwear. Lots of postcard and Space Needle items.

Other places to emulate: Faneuil Hall in Boston, the Inner Harbor buildings in Baltimore.

I don't see this as competition for the Midtown farmer's market venue/suppliers/customers.

I showed my wife last night and her reaction was 'looks like a good fit for downtown Disney'

That would be a bad omen, as Downtown Disney closed :unsure: (or at least Pleasure Island did).

It would have been interesting if Gilmore would present all of the different concepts that were submitted. This looks like something more suited for a riverfront entertainment complex with its "river barge" Louisiana Bayou influences. Maybe it will have a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

More details from Chris Knape:

• Kiosks would be a mix of Gilmore-operated outlets and spaces leased to "the best local operators at a very low cost."

Examples of potential ground-floor kiosks and storefronts include a streetcar station, box office, oyster bar, creperie, wine bar, Cuban corn stand, remote radio station, chowder bar, chip bar, local chef's kiosks, flaming saganaki cheese, beer garden, nut roaster, newsstand, sushi bar, taco bar, dumpling bar, flaming Spanish coffee bar, chocolate kiosk, gelato bar, daiquiri bar and more.

• The second floor may include an exhibition kitchen and areas where people can have a wine tasting or attend a "films and food" event where food parings will be matched with on-screen cuisine.

• Third-party kiosks are not intended to be a big revenue generator, but mainly a means of enhancing the experience for visitors while providing artisans with affordable space. "We'll help people get started as long as they have a good product," Gilmore said.

There's more interesting info in the rest of his post here.

Assuming that these kiosks won't be operating all day every day, will the place feel vacant during off-events? Or will it even be open during off events? It's a pretty cool concept and might draw people from outside West Michigan.

if they can get the concert programming right, the alcohol sales alone will make a fortune. but i'm not convinced this is the right location for the concept. seems like all the vending activity will be dependent on the stages being full, and makes me think that it will sit empty for the better part of the year. not sure this is the best location... in an ideal world it would be on the river. also, i don't know, the more i look at the drawings the more they remind me of a cheezy mall in orlando or someplace.