Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

• 3 weeks later...

Still not as good as the first, way better than the last. :)

One thing I never noticed. Looks like they are taking inspiration from the ugly piece of art on the back of the B.O.B. and making it into an ugly set of doors on the Venue. :)

Overall though, much better design. A little concerned about the materials. Is that corrugated metal on the front?

Joe

Still not as good as the first, way better than the last. :)

One thing I never noticed. Looks like they are taking inspiration from the ugly piece of art on the back of the B.O.B. and making it into an ugly set of doors on the Venue. :)

Overall though, much better design. A little concerned about the materials. Is that corrugated metal on the front?

Joe

That's Jacqueline Gilmore's artwork, there are similar pieces in Blue Water Grill and I think Rose's outdoor patio?

Their submittal package is pretty huge in size, and includes material schedules if you want to check them out:

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/PlanningCommission/PC_4_9_15.pdf

But it looks like a mixture of brick, corrugated metal siding and pre-cast concrete bases to all of the brick columns. 

It's quite an ambitious project when you look at the detailed plans. Make me wonder what kind of acts they envision. Will they team up with someone like LiveNation or its sister company House of Blues as a promoter like I predicted a year or so ago? (or that Greg Gilmore was shooting for 10 years ago?)   2250 seats is a pretty good sized music venue. Intersection holds 400, Meijer Gardens holds 1900 (and sells out almost their entire series in days)

The secret will be in the interior details. Although it appears they are going for a "rustic industrial" feel.

17028829321_f955092750_b.jpg

16822307877_fdd2894b92_b.jpg

That's Jacqueline Gilmore's artwork, there are similar pieces in Blue Water Grill and I think Rose's outdoor patio?

Their submittal package is pretty huge in size, and includes material schedules if you want to check them out:

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/PlanningCommission/PC_4_9_15.pdf

But it looks like a mixture of brick, corrugated metal siding and pre-cast concrete bases to all of the brick columns. 

It's quite an ambitious project when you look at the detailed plans. Make me wonder what kind of acts they envision. Will they team up with someone like LiveNation or its sister company House of Blues as a promoter like I predicted a year or so ago? (or that Greg Gilmore was shooting for 10 years ago?)   2250 seats is a pretty good sized music venue. Intersection holds 400, Meijer Gardens holds 1900 (and sells out almost their entire series in days)

The secret will be in the interior details. Although it appears they are going for a "rustic industrial" feel.

17028829321_f955092750_b.jpg

16822307877_fdd2894b92_b.jpg

I actually figure this will replace the Orbit Room. It hasn't seen much action recently.

I'm actually okay with the corrugated metal on this.  The brick work and replicating of cornice on the venue is great, good transparency, and the brick is maintained with a structural appearance, allowing the metal to be a secondary element.  There's no flat boring walls, and classical structural stability in the visual element is maintained.

..Never thought I'd say I like corrugated metal before.

The name of "The Venue" sounds about as inspired as "Downtown Market," however.

Edited by tSlater

They're still booking shows and Ted Smith is still managing it.  The Orbit Room has some advantages, like vast amounts of free parking, that this place won't have.  The sale of Centerpointe Mall is the big wildcard--the new owners have been rebuilding everything they can, and it isn't at all clear what their plans are from the article.  Still, I suspect Orbit Room will continue to cater more to the hard rock side of things, while this place tries to go "upscale" in order to generate higher ticket prices.  I don't see a brand new facility wanted to do a Marilyn Manson or Breaking Benjamin show... :)

They're still booking shows and Ted Smith is still managing it.  The Orbit Room has some advantages, like vast amounts of free parking, that this place won't have.  The sale of Centerpointe Mall is the big wildcard--the new owners have been rebuilding everything they can, and it isn't at all clear what their plans are from the article.  Still, I suspect Orbit Room will continue to cater more to the hard rock side of things, while this place tries to go "upscale" in order to generate higher ticket prices.  I don't see a brand new facility wanted to do a Marilyn Manson or Breaking Benjamin show... :)

Every time I drive by, I always check the marquee for upcoming shows, since I love going to shows. Usually, the shows are months out, or the marquee is empty. Just seems that the volume of the shows there have dwindled significantly.

Looks like they are still moving forward with this one.. Still some stipulations however. I'm hopeful that it will pan out.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/04/planners_ok_zoning_waivers_for.html#incart_river_mobile

Gilmore previously said he's inked a 10-year contract with an undisclosed production company to book shows at The Venue.

I can't imagine a "local" production company doing a 10 year contract. 

• 4 months later...

Delayed until "after Artprize." Makes sense, it's probably a pretty big money maker for the BOB.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/08/bob_expansion_project_construc.html

Makes sense. I do like that construction MUST begin before October 19th. Of course, since this is the 7th delay, I don't know what "MUST" means. :) Can't wait to see shovels fly on this project.

Joe

I saw some architectural drawings a few months back for the Venue building. Some guys in the office I work in were putting together a quote to provide the steel joists for the roof and balconies. I gotta say it's a pretty cool looking building inside. There were a few details of the Tower buildings first couple of floors as well.

I would think that is a good sign of this actually happening.

• Like 1

I saw some architectural drawings a few months back for the Venue building. Some guys in the office I work in were putting together a quote to provide the steel joists for the roof and balconies. I gotta say it's a pretty cool looking building inside. There were a few details of the Tower buildings first couple of floors as well.

I would think that is a good sign of this actually happening.

I've seen drawings that looked pretty darned detailed as well, to make me think this is finally happening. Sure would like to see it finally go.