Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

Still, 20 Monroe Live is not a great name.  Theaters are landmarks, and addresses don't work for landmarks.  There should be an actual name on the marquee.  Even "Gilmore" is fine.

Well, its not exactly a theater, it is a concert hall.  Designed to be a great venue experience for performers and attendees alike (at least according to Gilmore).  To contrast, the capacity for 20ML is larger than for DeVos Hall.  DeVos is a theater, this is nothing like that.  

Still a blah name, and maybe it will become a HOB eventually?

4 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

I would have thought they would have a digital marquee, but i guess this one is more in line with the retro style they seem to be going for.  

I highly doubt it is going to be a black box theater.  With the long-held ambitions to make this a HOB, and with their affiliation with the HOB, I expect it to have lots of character and style.  These are by far my favorite type of venues to see concerts.  large crowd but intimate and with incredible acoustics.   But I am also pretty confident that they will want to have the place aesthetically pleasing inside as well with their intention to hold non-concert events. 

I completely agree, that's what I'd like to see. But it is a local design firm that's not known for "penache." Maybe Live Nation/HOB have their own architects/consultants/style guides. 

9 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

I would have thought they would have a digital marquee, but i guess this one is more in line with the retro style they seem to be going for.  

In the video on the MLive article, the person from Advanced signs talks about another sign that is "a LED message center that wraps around the building". It'll be interesting to see what it looks like. I can only imagine the City stomping on usage and not allowing them to do anything crazy (crazy, like, you know, changing the light pattern on top of McKay Tower...). I hope this this looks like Times Square when done. Design by Clark W. Griswald III. :)

Joe

• Like 4

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I can only imagine the City stomping on usage and not allowing them to do anything crazy (crazy, like, you know, changing the light pattern on top of McKay Tower...)

Joe

That really was a buzzkill. How are we supposed to live like in Blade Runner?

3cdec18a963faf1793e3bbf519e58018.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheSutterKing said:

Not tomorrow but I have tickets to 3 of this month's events. 

MLIVE is live now if you're curious to see it:

Looks pretty sweet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

The marquee makes it look cheap. Like it wasn't funded or designed by people who don't know what they're doing.  What is wrong with making it look like a modern venue?  

It's hard to read in the MLive piece.  What's it say - "Pep Band Practice Moved to North Gym" "Tickets for Spring Dance On Sale Now" "Yearbook Order Forms Still Available"

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I will admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the look. Even the side where the two vans are really looked more like a service alley where you'll just find the dumpsters parked when they are done..

Reminds me of the lesson Steve Jobs was taught by his adoptive father. When he was painting a fence he asked why the back had to look as good as the front. His father said that other people wouldn't know, but you would.

People who use that thinking usually make things good inside and out. It makes me think about the developments happening here lately where we're pumping them out but with no quality, just the generic boxes to house the growing demand of people. And like Arena Place, no one would ever know about the budget materials (except people like us), which now seems like an embarrassment that could have been avoided if people would just use this reasoning. That's why I'm hoping for the best with the Market proposal. But some people would rather make a dollar...

• Like 3