Jump to content
Sailor

Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Recommended Posts

Not sure why their is criticism on this design.  Sketchup files are really only suppose to give a rough idea of what a project will look like,, I'll wait until the real thing is built before saying its pretty as lake Michigan during a sunset or looks like the rear end of a donkey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the beer garden is on the city's permit list, and I was at The BOB about a week ago for a concert and noticed a big rendering on the wall upstairs by the bathrooms that looked a lot better than these recent renderings. Anyone know the deets? Moving forward? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I went to the basement of intersection I guess it's called elevation, and I was shocked at how nice the venue was. It had a very Top of the Rock feel to it with the multi levels and kind of half circle horseshoe shape to the dance floor. Great bar space great sound great lighting oh, I was very impressed for Grand Rapids. To say nothing of the fact that I went there to see drum and bass Act noisia and it was packed!

 

9/10 would go back.

 

Sorry couldn't find a live music thread so just putting this here.

 

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

 

 

efbf5aa312d8e549257f02fc01f06192.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Wow, it does look like the old Top of the Rock!

Joe

OMG totally looks like Top of the Rock! Does Elevation have "Alternative Night" on Wednesdays (or was it Tuesdays?). :) We used to drive all the way from Kzoo for those. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to dig this thread up for this...


https://mls.carwm.com/listing/30667067

I figured this kind of stuff would happen but it’s hard to see. Hope they find a buyer to keep it going. Still...Gilmore worked so hard on this dream for a decade and then this. :(
 

The BOB is for sale, too. 
 

Edit - Just saw the MIBiz article on it. Looks like they are trying to sell the real estate but not the business so they can survive COVID? 
 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/owners-list-20-monroe-live-property-for-16-5m

Edited by mgreven
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mgreven said:

Hate to dig this thread up for this...


https://mls.carwm.com/listing/30667067

I figured this kind of stuff would happen but it’s hard to see. Hope they find a buyer to keep it going. Still...Gilmore worked so hard on this dream for a decade and then this. :(
 

The BOB is for sale, too. 
 

Edit - Just saw the MIBiz article on it. Looks like they are trying to sell the real estate but not the business so they can survive COVID? 
 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/owners-list-20-monroe-live-property-for-16-5m

So are they looking to sell the property and then lease it from whoever buys it?   I'm confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

So are they looking to sell the property and then lease it from whoever buys it?   I'm confused.

Yep, basically pull equity out of the buildings to save the business. If the B.O.B. stays in business, it's a pretty good real estate deal (if the price works out).

It is sad to see. What's even worse, it has to be heart breaking for the owners. Bars and music venues WILL bounce back, it's in the perfect location, and it sounds like they just don't have the capital to ride it out (unfortunately, I'm sure this is the first of many).

Joe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Yep, basically pull equity out of the buildings to save the business. If the B.O.B. stays in business, it's a pretty good real estate deal (if the price works out).

It is sad to see. What's even worse, it has to be heart breaking for the owners. Bars and music venues WILL bounce back, it's in the perfect location, and it sounds like they just don't have the capital to ride it out (unfortunately, I'm sure this is the first of many).

Joe 

Especially with a vaccine... the eventual downward trend is in sight, I agree the decision must have been extremely difficult . I did see this from Ticketmater, Ticketmaster Announces Plan to Check Coronavirus Vaccine Statuses Before Concerts. Either a covid test or a confirmation of a vaccine. I am guessing this is probably not the only industry we could this is applied to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope everyone can just hang on. If everything works as planned we should be somewhat "normal/new normal" by June. I've seen a bunch of small businesses opening in the last month and I just think to myself, why now?! Just wait, your dreams can wait a bit longer.

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem, the government will simply continue printing more money til the worst is over.   What's $10 trillion in new debt when without it would be $20 trillion otherwise?  Inflation is going to be crippling in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, joeDowntown said:

Yep, basically pull equity out of the buildings to save the business. If the B.O.B. stays in business, it's a pretty good real estate deal (if the price works out).

It is sad to see. What's even worse, it has to be heart breaking for the owners. Bars and music venues WILL bounce back, it's in the perfect location, and it sounds like they just don't have the capital to ride it out (unfortunately, I'm sure this is the first of many).

Joe 

According to this article in Local Spins, https://localspins.com/grand-rapids-20-monroe-live-the-bob-entertainment-complex-go-up-for-sale-local-spins/ they were planning on selling the real estate back in March but the closing fell through due to COVID.  So, this was the plan anyway.  

There's actually a really cool video series about several West MI venues there, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 6:42 AM, arcturus said:

No problem, the government will simply continue printing more money til the worst is over.   What's $10 trillion in new debt when without it would be $20 trillion otherwise?  Inflation is going to be crippling in a few years.

This is exactly what should happen.  The Save our Stages initiative would do that and could use our help.

https://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/081020saveourstages.aspx

https://www.nivassoc.org/take-action

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.