Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

50 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Why is everybody wringing their hands over this closing delay. Who cares? It's an existing building on a prime piece of land downtown. Something will happen with it. 

because they abruptly closed the BOB, indicating their was an imminent deal in the media, bringing lots of attention to the impending change of ownership.  While I wasn't a fan of the BOB per-se, it was a significant dining/entertainment destination downtown for those of us not living downtown.  So, the jokes about having more hotels than places to eat downtown that are accompanying this rumor-mill will multiply and persist along with interested speculation (mine included) about what's coming...

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Isn't that what we do here with literally every project or morsel of information?! :tw_joy:

No, I mean people seem abnormally "worried" about it. :P Let it sit empty for a few years, I don't really care. There are plenty of other (much better) places to go downtown now, IMHO. 

13 hours ago, wingbert said:

Why all the BOB hate?  Maybe it was a bit past its prime, but it was one of those establishments that helped lead the renaissance in downtown dining and entertainment when the arena went up.

I don't know, because the BOB became the Grand Castle of entertainment options downtown? :dontknow:  Maybe I'm privy to more into than most? I'm not a hater of the BOB or of the Gilmore's. I like their other establishments. 

Downtown is so different now that it doesn't really need a BOB. We tried to go downtown the other night to eat and every place was on a 2 hour wait. Events at Devos Place, GLC, VAA going on.

I remember when we'd be the only ones on the streets on weekend nights, when it was only Arena Brewing Company, J Gardella's, Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, the BOB, Z's, and a few other places (Magoo's lol). That was it. Downtown has become what many of us dreamed about 20 years ago. With more room for growth to come. It doesn't really matter what the BOB becomes now. It will just be another piece of the rich tapestry. Eventually. 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know, because the BOB became the Grand Castle of entertainment options downtown? . :dontknow:  Maybe I'm privy to more into than most? I'm not a hater of the BOB or of the Gilmore's. I like their other establishments. 

Downtown is so different now that it doesn't really need a BOB. We tried to go downtown the other night to eat and every place was on a 2 hour wait. Events at Devos Place, GLC, VAA going on.

I remember when we'd be the only ones on the streets on weekend nights, when it was only Arena Brewing Company, J Gardella's, Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, the BOB, Z's, and a few other places (Magoo's lol). That was it. Downtown has become what many of us dreamed about 20 years ago. With more room for growth to come. It doesn't really matter what the BOB becomes now. It will just be another piece of the rich tapestry. Eventually. 

I worked thirds on security as Plaza for years, and the messes from the BOB frequently came to our backyard that we would have to clean up. 

The BOB was awesome when I was young and fresh in the city. Now it's basically everything I hate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I heard from a reliable source that the deal has completely fallen apart and is off the table. The BOB may just end up getting an extensive remodel and reopen in some form of as was.

Actually I think that would be cooler than a hotel, if it was going to be hotel. It badly needs a refresh.

3 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I heard from a reliable source that the deal has completely fallen apart and is off the table. The BOB may just end up getting an extensive remodel and reopen in some form of as was.

Can anyone explain why this deal has been so complicated?  Are Gilmores asking a king’s ransom for the property?

5 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Both deals? Or just the B.O.B itself? Weren't there two parties involved? One buying the venue, the other buying the BOB itself?

Joe

Looks like the GLC Live venue closed on their sale:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/sale-of-20-monroe-concert-venue-completed/

And this is interesting:

“As Covid decreases and employment improves we continue to weigh all options with The B.O.B.,” Gilmore wrote in a text exchange with News 8 Friday.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, GRDadof3 said:

“As Covid decreases and employment improves we continue to weigh all options with The B.O.B.,” Gilmore wrote in a text exchange with News 8 Friday.

That caught my eye as well.  Seemed like they were open to the idea of reopening.  Hmmm

Anyone want to bet how long it will take for The B.O.B to reopen, only to complain about a lack of employees causing operational problems… after letting all of their staff go and get picked up by other restaurants (I know Social House took a decent number of former BOB employees). 

i do think the concept is good for downtown. Hopefully the closing gave them time to think about it and re-inision what it could/should be. 

I for one think the beer garden idea is a bit past it’s prime. And the nightclubs always seemed a bit skeezy. I hope they bring back Dr. Grins. 

Joe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Gilmore probably looked at the sidewalks crowded with people waiting for restaurant tables this weekend and wondered why he closed the BOB in the first place...

Or maybe he saw how much support there was on social media when they announced their closure. Or maybe the whole thing was a publicity stunt  "reboot." 

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, joeDowntown said:

Anyone want to bet how long it will take for The B.O.B to reopen, only to complain about a lack of employees causing operational problems… after letting all of their staff go and get picked up by other restaurants (I know Social House took a decent number of former BOB employees). 

i do think the concept is good for downtown. Hopefully the closing gave them time to think about it and re-inision what it could/should be. 

I for one think the beer garden idea is a bit past it’s prime. And the nightclubs always seemed a bit skeezy. I hope they bring back Dr. Grins. 

Joe

Speaking of Dr Grin's, Creston Brewery has an impressive line up of comedy talent lined up throughout the year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Speaking of Dr Grin's, Creston Brewery has an impressive line up of comedy talent lined up throughout the year.

I noticed that. They've brought in a pretty impressive line up lately. Are any of the people ex-Dr. Grins? I know that there was talk of the people at Dr. Grins continuing on no matter what happened to the BOB, and this group seems to have a solid lineup going.

Joe