Jump to content

Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue


Sailor

Recommended Posts


50 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Why is everybody wringing their hands over this closing delay. Who cares? It's an existing building on a prime piece of land downtown. Something will happen with it. 

because they abruptly closed the BOB, indicating their was an imminent deal in the media, bringing lots of attention to the impending change of ownership.  While I wasn't a fan of the BOB per-se, it was a significant dining/entertainment destination downtown for those of us not living downtown.  So, the jokes about having more hotels than places to eat downtown that are accompanying this rumor-mill will multiply and persist along with interested speculation (mine included) about what's coming...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Isn't that what we do here with literally every project or morsel of information?! :tw_joy:

No, I mean people seem abnormally "worried" about it. :P Let it sit empty for a few years, I don't really care. There are plenty of other (much better) places to go downtown now, IMHO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wingbert said:

Why all the BOB hate?  Maybe it was a bit past its prime, but it was one of those establishments that helped lead the renaissance in downtown dining and entertainment when the arena went up.

I don't know, because the BOB became the Grand Castle of entertainment options downtown? :dontknow:  Maybe I'm privy to more into than most? I'm not a hater of the BOB or of the Gilmore's. I like their other establishments. 

Downtown is so different now that it doesn't really need a BOB. We tried to go downtown the other night to eat and every place was on a 2 hour wait. Events at Devos Place, GLC, VAA going on.

I remember when we'd be the only ones on the streets on weekend nights, when it was only Arena Brewing Company, J Gardella's, Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, the BOB, Z's, and a few other places (Magoo's lol). That was it. Downtown has become what many of us dreamed about 20 years ago. With more room for growth to come. It doesn't really matter what the BOB becomes now. It will just be another piece of the rich tapestry. Eventually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know, because the BOB became the Grand Castle of entertainment options downtown? . :dontknow:  Maybe I'm privy to more into than most? I'm not a hater of the BOB or of the Gilmore's. I like their other establishments. 

Downtown is so different now that it doesn't really need a BOB. We tried to go downtown the other night to eat and every place was on a 2 hour wait. Events at Devos Place, GLC, VAA going on.

I remember when we'd be the only ones on the streets on weekend nights, when it was only Arena Brewing Company, J Gardella's, Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, the BOB, Z's, and a few other places (Magoo's lol). That was it. Downtown has become what many of us dreamed about 20 years ago. With more room for growth to come. It doesn't really matter what the BOB becomes now. It will just be another piece of the rich tapestry. Eventually. 

I worked thirds on security as Plaza for years, and the messes from the BOB frequently came to our backyard that we would have to clean up. 

 

The BOB was awesome when I was young and fresh in the city. Now it's basically everything I hate.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I heard from a reliable source that the deal has completely fallen apart and is off the table. The BOB may just end up getting an extensive remodel and reopen in some form of as was.

Actually I think that would be cooler than a hotel, if it was going to be hotel. It badly needs a refresh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I heard from a reliable source that the deal has completely fallen apart and is off the table. The BOB may just end up getting an extensive remodel and reopen in some form of as was.

Can anyone explain why this deal has been so complicated?  Are Gilmores asking a king’s ransom for the property?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I heard from a reliable source that the deal has completely fallen apart and is off the table. The BOB may just end up getting an extensive remodel and reopen in some form of as was.

Both deals? Or just the B.O.B itself? Weren't there two parties involved? One buying the venue, the other buying the BOB itself?

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like the GLC Live venue closed on their sale:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/sale-of-20-monroe-concert-venue-completed/

And this is interesting:

“As Covid decreases and employment improves we continue to weigh all options with The B.O.B.,” Gilmore wrote in a text exchange with News 8 Friday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, GRDadof3 said:

“As Covid decreases and employment improves we continue to weigh all options with The B.O.B.,” Gilmore wrote in a text exchange with News 8 Friday.

That caught my eye as well.  Seemed like they were open to the idea of reopening.  Hmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone want to bet how long it will take for The B.O.B to reopen, only to complain about a lack of employees causing operational problems… after letting all of their staff go and get picked up by other restaurants (I know Social House took a decent number of former BOB employees). 

i do think the concept is good for downtown. Hopefully the closing gave them time to think about it and re-inision what it could/should be. 

I for one think the beer garden idea is a bit past it’s prime. And the nightclubs always seemed a bit skeezy. I hope they bring back Dr. Grins. 

Joe
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Gilmore probably looked at the sidewalks crowded with people waiting for restaurant tables this weekend and wondered why he closed the BOB in the first place...

Or maybe he saw how much support there was on social media when they announced their closure. Or maybe the whole thing was a publicity stunt  "reboot." 

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, joeDowntown said:

Anyone want to bet how long it will take for The B.O.B to reopen, only to complain about a lack of employees causing operational problems… after letting all of their staff go and get picked up by other restaurants (I know Social House took a decent number of former BOB employees). 

i do think the concept is good for downtown. Hopefully the closing gave them time to think about it and re-inision what it could/should be. 

I for one think the beer garden idea is a bit past it’s prime. And the nightclubs always seemed a bit skeezy. I hope they bring back Dr. Grins. 

Joe
 

Speaking of Dr Grin's, Creston Brewery has an impressive line up of comedy talent lined up throughout the year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Speaking of Dr Grin's, Creston Brewery has an impressive line up of comedy talent lined up throughout the year.

I noticed that. They've brought in a pretty impressive line up lately. Are any of the people ex-Dr. Grins? I know that there was talk of the people at Dr. Grins continuing on no matter what happened to the BOB, and this group seems to have a solid lineup going.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.