Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

I like the name "The Addition", but it's more than that though, it's bigger. The Big Old Building only refers to the size and age of the building. I think the name that refers, in someway, back to the B.O.B trumps that which refers to the function of the building. Just my opinion though. My new favorite is "The Addition"

I like it. It's simple and self-explanatory. "Hey, let's head down to the Addition and check out that show!"

The Annex

I have always liked places/structures with Celtic and Irish names. Here are some I like (with meanings):

The "Camdens" (From The Valley)

The "Kylene" (Little Piece Of Land)

Oona (One)

Teranika (Earth's Victory)

Edited by Yankee Fan

• 2 months later...

Saw some incredible concept drawings of the BOB expansion (towers) done by ProgressiveAE today. If this had gone through, coupled with the Huntington Bank building on the riverfront (also by ProgressiveAE and the Scandinavian designer), and Gallery on Fulton at the other end, it would have been a game-changer for Fulton St and for downtown. Sheesh! Awesome.

Ugh. I hate thinking about what could have been. :(

Stupid economy. ;)

Joe

Saw some incredible concept drawings of the BOB expansion (towers) done by ProgressiveAE today. If this had gone through, coupled with the Huntington Bank building on the riverfront (also by ProgressiveAE and the Scandinavian designer), and Gallery on Fulton at the other end, it would have been a game-changer for Fulton St and for downtown. Sheesh! Awesome.

• 7 months later...

I hope he ditches that cartoonish design he produced a few months ago. DT seriously doesn't need gimmick architecture

Very good point. In general I really like the concept, but I agree... gimmick architecture would cheapen the space, and if (god forbid) it fails, you've got something that's much harder to repurpose.

• 5 months later...

The City Planning Department has approved the changed "Bobville".

Concert venue by night, parking lot by day?

http://www.mlive.com...s_for_fest.html

Really? That's what they have now. They can put up a stage on that surface lot anytime.

I understand nixing the farmer market idea, but there are endless possibilities for what can go in that space. I hope they use their imaginations a little.

This thing sounds like a compromised disaster. "Bobville"? Are they serious? Sounds like they asked their kids for a name for this.

The "We don't want to compete with the City Market," line basically means they were desperately looking for an excuse to ditch that stuff, and they found a really flimsy one.

They might as well just brick over the lot and truck in bleachers and a stage when they need it.

"Bobville will feature a retractable roof and huge "barn doors""?

What is this? Lowell?

I agree that the name is horrible but I don't disagree with the desire not to compete with City market. I don't know what the capacity for farmers markets is in grand rapids but it seems that there would be an excessive number if everything was developed as initially planned. I am suprised that they would get rid of all of the food stalls because it would have been nice when they held events. It also would have been nice if they could have replace the farmers market with something else rather than just parking.

This thing sounds like a compromised disaster. "Bobville"? Are they serious? Sounds like they asked their kids for a name for this.

The "We don't want to compete with the City Market," line basically means they were desperately looking for an excuse to ditch that stuff, and they found a really flimsy one.

They might as well just brick over the lot and truck in bleachers and a stage when they need it.

"Bobville will feature a retractable roof and huge "barn doors""?

What is this? Lowell?

Where were you when they were soliciting names for the place on their website?

My guess is they are trying to create a mix of the Cleveland Flats/Bubba Gump Shrimp Company/warehouse atmosphere. I think it might be kind of cool juxtaposed against that cold painted metal on 50 Monroe next door.

Image374+(Large).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not a lot new in this, except the part at the end about adding a water feature to Mangiamo?!!

http://www.crainsdet...rand-rapids-is#

Since it's a Detroit publication where the author may never have actually been here, my guess would be that comment was referring to Rose's instead? That's the only logical explanation I can draw.

Edited by fotoman311