Stimulus Projects in Grand Rapids

arcturus

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not completely sure, but I think all of the stimulus projects have been announced/chosen/whatever the terminology.

I didn't see anything in the Grand Rapids list that I'd call ridiculous, or did you mean all of the city projects arcturus?

I'm not completely sure, but I think all of the stimulus projects have been announced/chosen/whatever the terminology.

I didn't see anything in the Grand Rapids list that I'd call ridiculous, or did you mean all of the city projects arcturus?

In the '30s we spent (what was then a lot) of money on a performing arts hall and a pipeline to draw water from the lake (even though we were already getting water from the Grand River.) The construction of such was also excessive, using way more concrete than was structurally needed in the performance center. Yet, the point was to generate jobs and stimulate the economy. Providing things that way may not have needed but have proven to be beneficial. If the city hall glazing will increase the structure's energy efficiency and creates jobs, is it really much different from the projects done in the '30s?

More of a priorities issue. When I see 'City Hall Glazing Replacement' for instance surely there's better use of our dollars. What also concerns me is the precedent set ... it's quite likely the new city mindset will be 'hey, let's continue to rely on gov't bailout funds.'

Removing incentives to trim excess fat from budgets is dangerous. As you know, once precedent is set it's difficult to change.

Per the link provided by arcturus,

Projects in Michigan

Below are the "shovel-ready" projects the mayors of this state submitted in the 2008 U.S. Conference of Mayors report. You can click on a project to read (and add to) its description. You can also discuss the project and vote on whether you believe it is critical or not. For a more local view, you can drill down to projects in a particular city. Just choose a city from the following list.

Not sure what "the Canadian" (who, BTW, became a US citizen more than forty years ago) had to do with the mayoral submissions.

I'll agree that Grand Rapids seems to have gotten slighted on this one, but if we really want to make things fair "per capita" then the detroit region should really have gotten $425 million rather than $246 million (or $346 mill if you guess $50 million each for Flint and Ann Arbor. Also, being from Kalamazoo, I really not thrilled that so much is being spent to widen I-94. While I happy that the region commands that much (which is probably unfair) I really think this money needs to be spent on small fix-it-first projects before adding capacity. Money on new projects should wait until the current administration/congress can come up with a coherent vision for future transportation funding priorities.

Uh, that's a stretch. The economy is comprised of people either making new things or making existing things better. Adding new glazing to windows to make them more energy efficient might not only create business for the window company, it might cause the window company to become even more innovative, which can then translate into more potential business. It might also allow the government to cut costs on their energy bills. It's not like they're just creating a job to sweep dirt from one corner to the other, which adds no value but gives someone a job.

Archived