Sonic Burger

Grandrapidsne

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I retract that. Car bays are going up on that side now, though they seem very cramped in that space right up next to the hill and ditch. The space still seems too small to me.

My comment was on the assumption that they had looked at census figures and decided that the Alpine store would drive less traffic than Clyde Park despite the obvious inversion of those two to anyone who lives here because it's a major artery out. They wouldn't be the first company to make that mistake.

Actually I retract that. Car bays are going up on that side now, though they seem very cramped in that space right up next to the hill and ditch. The space still seems too small to me.

My comment was on the assumption that they had looked at census figures and decided that the Alpine store would drive less traffic than Clyde Park despite the obvious inversion of those two to anyone who lives here because it's a major artery out. They wouldn't be the first company to make that mistake.

• 1 month later...

Big news!

The Sonic restaurant on Alpine over by Walmart is scheduled to open for business on Monday November 16, 2009! While driving by there today, employees were out on a training session today.

Now I want to know how sonic works. I saw that they have a drive-thru at the building, but I also see that they have drive up spots where you can pull in and order food. How does one pay for their food? Can they stay there and eat until they are done?

Big news!

The Sonic restaurant on Alpine over by Walmart is scheduled to open for business on Monday November 16, 2009! While driving by there today, employees were out on a training session today.

Now I want to know how sonic works. I saw that they have a drive-thru at the building, but I also see that they have drive up spots where you can pull in and order food. How does one pay for their food? Can they stay there and eat until they are done?

At Sonic you can pay by credit/debit card at the menu board or pay by cash when the person delivers the food. You can stay there as long as you want and even listen to the sonic radio station played though speakers in the roof. Not sure how drive thou works exactly, I always walk up or use the bays.

can't wait! i'll be there monday afternoon.

This is awesome (ironically, we just got our first Sonic in the Seattle area just about a year ago) so GR isn't far behind a major metro here in the NW. Hopefully, GR will see a few more openings as Sonic does well.

Now only if GR could get a Jack in the Box as well, I'd be all set for the next time i visit.

The old anti WalMart argument, eh?

The free market ultimately decides who stays and who goes. If it pushes competition over the edge so be it, in the long run it's our economy's willingness to let businesses *fail* (with notable recent exception) that made us an economic power.

Who knows, maybe the saturation might just be the stimulus for a business not in the food business to relocate nearby ... or for marginally operating restaurants to move elsewhere where there's less competition resulting in *added* staffing needs.

The old anti WalMart argument, eh?

The free market ultimately decides who stays and who goes. If it pushes competition over the edge so be it, in the long run it's our economy's willingness to let businesses *fail* (with notable recent exception) that made us an economic power.

Who knows, maybe the saturation might just be the stimulus for a business not in the food business to relocate nearby ... or for marginally operating restaurants to move elsewhere where there's less competition resulting in *added* staffing needs.

It has nothing to do with Wal-Mart or the principles of capitalism, arcturus. Just about all the restaurants out there are national/regional chains. You were the one who implied that Sonic would help GR, and GRDad merely disagreed.

How did Sonic get its own thread on this forum, anyway? How'd it get to be four pages long? Anyone else find that kind of embarrassing?

I think part of the 4 pages has to do with Sonic's national advertising. They've been running ads as long as I can remember without a location for hundreds of miles. I guess they built-up a lot of curiosity, so when they finally opened here it was kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure about their economic impact. It'll create a few low-paying jobs, maybe they'll destroy some at a competitor, but overall it'll have a pretty negligible effect. You're not going to build an entire economy around fast food, but it certainly creates some economic value.

For more fun, check out the live maps.

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuZ3JhbmQrcmFwaWRzJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTU0LjA5OTQwMDAxNDc2ODglN2UtNDAuNjcxODkwMjU5JTdlMTMuODE4OTYyODAyNTU5NCU3ZS0xMTEuMTYwMTcxNTA5

Sidewalks? Ped access? Surely you jest.

I recently dropped the four-wheeler off at the car-fix place at Lake Eastbrook and Beltline, then used the time productively with a nature hike to Lowe's. According to Bing maps, that's .5 miles, and of course it suggests that I drive.

The bird's-eye view shows several "beam me up" sidewalk situations, a dearth of attention to ped xings and pushbuttons, and some laughable ignorance of ADA provisions (a Federal law since the early 90's). Some of this (the Culver's plaza outlot of Centerpointe) is new construction.

Archived