Sonic Burger

Grandrapidsne

Here's a link to a report Dangerous By Design

http://t4america.org/docs/dangerousbydesign/dangerous_by_design.pdf

In the last 15 years, more than 76,000 Americans have been killed while crossing or walking along a street in their community. Children, the elderly and ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented in this figure, but people of all ages and all walks of life have been struck down in the simple act of walking. These deaths typically are labeled “accidents,” and attributed to error on the part of motorist or pedestrian. In fact, however, an overwhelming proportion share a similar factor: They occurred along roadways that were dangerous by design, streets that were engineered for speeding cars and made little or no provision for people on foot, in wheelchairs or on a bicycle.

On a related note (although the Sonic locations are outside GR city limits), the biggest bottleneck to bicycle accommodation is on Greg Sundstrom's short list. (Can't find a link on MLive; article in last week's paper.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has everything to do with capitalism, Regal. Capitalism is the backbone of employment.

Saturation implies competition, competition exposes weakness. Competition forces businesses to either do a better job or fail. Those that suceed grow and prosper ... regardless of how difficult it may be to bike to :)

Or perhaps we would prefer to have a bunch of marginally run businesses in the interest of maintaining employment?

You see roads that conform our society to the car, I see roads built on the demand to use them.

You see a lack of sidewalks and bike lanes, I see a lack of demand by our culture to use them.

Our culture has to change before our roads do, anything before that is using tax money to manipulate how people get from point A to point B. Our culture is in love with the car. You can't coax that out of our culture. We build infrastructure on what people use, not what they might like to picture themselves using. Sidewalks and bike commuter lanes are mostly to appease safety concerns at this moment in time.

You see roads that conform our society to the car, I see roads built on the demand to use them.

You see a lack of sidewalks and bike lanes, I see a lack of demand by our culture to use them.

Our culture has to change before our roads do, anything before that is using tax money to manipulate how people get from point A to point B. Our culture is in love with the car. You can't coax that out of our culture. We build infrastructure on what people use, not what they might like to picture themselves using. Sidewalks and bike commuter lanes are mostly to appease safety concerns at this moment in time.

On the issue of pedestrian connectivity -- the on-and-off ramps at 44th & 96 have been being worked on. They seem to be finished, and I discovered that there are NO crosswalks -at all-, nor any pedestrian signals. I had to cross a 3/4 lane onramp using the traffic lights as a guide and hope that the light remained red long enough for me to get across.

Beaten trails in the grass leading up to the overpass showed a demand for pedestrian access, but it is not provided. I then had to walk on a 3-foot shoulder along this realistically 50mph road over the bridge because no sidewalk is provided anywhere, and then cross another lane of traffic with no crosswalk or signal.

On the issue of pedestrian connectivity -- the on-and-off ramps at 44th & 96 have been being worked on. They seem to be finished, and I discovered that there are NO crosswalks -at all-, nor any pedestrian signals. I had to cross a 3/4 lane onramp using the traffic lights as a guide and hope that the light remained red long enough for me to get across.

Beaten trails in the grass leading up to the overpass showed a demand for pedestrian access, but it is not provided. I then had to walk on a 3-foot shoulder along this realistically 50mph road over the bridge because no sidewalk is provided anywhere, and then cross another lane of traffic with no crosswalk or signal.

Archived