DT projects with a hotel component

distortedlogic

I started thinking about this while reading the TBA thread and the discussion about which hotels people would like to see at Washington Square. So many of the DT projects proposed over the last few years (including some that have failed or are on indefinate hold) have wanted to include a hotel compnent. It seems there is a lot of hotel competition among DT projects, and I can't help but think this is what has helped to stall some of them. Let's say DT can support 2 more hotels right now. Out of the projects out there that might happen with hotel corraboration, which ones would you guys most like to see; ie:

1: Washington Square

2: Riverplace II/III

3: Pinnacle

4: Gateway Project

5: Peacock

6: Something totally different

As for me, I think I would have to vote for the gateway site as I am tired of looking at the Green Monster for nearly 12 years now, and it also seems to be our best chance for a true signiture highrise. For the other one, I am torn b/w RP and Washington Square as both projects are very exciting, though I personally would prefer a redesigned Washington Square.

So what do all of you think; how many more hotels can DT support, and which projects would you prefer to happen, or which ones are most dependant on hotels?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see all of those sites get developed as planned, but I think I'd want to see the Washington Square and Peacock sites developed most--Washington Square because of the added density along Main, and Peacock because the site just doesn't look right with the building less than half-finished. RiverPlace comes in at a strong third.

I'd personally like to see the Peacock site get off the ground, but not necessarily as planned. Sure - I'd love to see 13-14 floors, but I'd settle for 8-10. I'd like to see perhaps a Hilton Garden Inn or Double Tree or something of the like on that site...and plenty of space for first floor retail/restaurants (and outdoor street-level dining) surrounding the lobby...and still maybe even have the condo component on the top - perhaps even a penthouse.

I'd personally like to see the Peacock site get off the ground, but not necessarily as planned. Sure - I'd love to see 13-14 floors, but I'd settle for 8-10. I'd like to see perhaps a Hilton Garden Inn or Double Tree or something of the like on that site...and plenty of space for first floor retail/restaurants (and outdoor street-level dining) surrounding the lobby...and still maybe even have the condo component on the top - perhaps even a penthouse.

I would also like to see The Peacock completed since the investment has been made to break ground. Provided that this hotel is truly a luxury/destination-type hotel, I do not see it directly competing with other downtown hotels. The Peacock will be a positive addition to our downtown on several levels.

With regard to "regular" hotels, I would like to see Washington Square developed first. This is a very key block in our urban core, and its development will really transform our downtown in my opinion. I don't think we will realize this development's impact until it is a reality. My second choice is for the Gateway site to be developed. The idea for two towers there, one of which will include a hotel, is a fantastic one. The fact that one tower will be a signature tower - not to mention the state's tallest - will be a nice feather in Greenville's cap. Plus, it will mean that a long-awaited parcel of land is developed and being utilized. It's a win-win. :thumbsup:

I think I would like to see Washington Square and Peacock developed the most. Washington Square makes so much sense given its location, and the Peacock needs to be completed (as the Peacock hotel, OR another brand).

The Gateway site is very important for visual reasons, and the Riverplace bulid-out is important for activity along the river.

Archived