USC Spartanburg is no more

Spartan

bigTransLogo.gif

An announcement made yesterday, June 30, 2004 declared that the University of South Carolina Spartanburg will now be called the University of South Carolina Upstate. This takes place immediately. Go to http://www.uscs.edu/ or the new site at http://www.uscupstate.edu (its still the same as the old right now though) and you will see their announcement.

Header.gif

They say this is to expand the presence of the Universtiy by not focusing on one city, but rather the entire region. The are makeing it very obvious that they want to expand their presence in Greenville at the University Center of Greenville of which USC has 70% of the enrollement. (UCG is a collaboration between about 7 other colleges in the Upstate of SC and it offers classes for Greenville).

This is not to be confused with USC-Union (USCU).

USC Upstate will not have that acronym. It's shortened version is to be called USC Upstate (as opposed to "University of South Carolina Upstate" which is the long version.)

I think its a bunch of crap, but their explanations do make sense to some extent. I think they are trying to pander to Greenville. Plus, it just irks me alot when people try to disassociate with Spartanburg for whatever reason.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. What crap. I guess the "Metropolitan University" campaign didn't work out.

Does this mean that USC-Aiken might become USC-Leftstate? I suppose USC-Union will be USC-LowerUpstate. And what about USC-Lancaster? USC-South Charlotte?

Seriously, though, in changing their name, USCS has alienated Spartanburg without becoming any more appealing to the rest of the region. I asked people in both Anderson and Greenville. They thought I was joking.

Oh well, there's always Upstate Tech.

I agree.  What crap.  I guess the "Metropolitan University" campaign didn't work out.

Does this mean that USC-Aiken might become USC-Leftstate?  I suppose USC-Union will be USC-LowerUpstate.  And what about USC-Lancaster?  USC-South Charlotte?

Seriously, though, in changing their name, USCS has alienated Spartanburg without becoming any more appealing to the rest of the region.  I asked people in both Anderson and Greenville.  They thought I was joking.

Oh well, there's always Upstate Tech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree! This decision is SC politics at its worst!

Ha, this is an oldie :) I have since changed my mind about USC Upstate. I think that overall its a good decision, becuase we need to unify the Upstate, not polarize it. I hated seeing the "Spartanburg" label get dropped, but the term Upstate implies a regional thing, which will be more condusive to the growth of its campus. You can't alienate Greenville- despite what we want to think, they make up a significant portion of the schools student body.

Archived