New greeting sign for Columbia

growingup15

I think columbia should have a huge greeting sign coming into the city on I-126 near the riverfront. a big sign saying "COLUMBIA" just like the hollywood sign i think that would be great for the city and alot of people will come to see it. but this is my idea whats everyone elses ideas.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that Columbia needs a signature of some sort. Something comparable to, but not a copy of, the Hollywood sign, the Seattle Space needle, the Eiffel Tower, the big wheel in London would make Columbia stand out from all of the other cities and towns in the USA.

You're on the right track growingup15.

The huge "5" sculpture they proposed for Five Points a number of years ago would have been cool. I wish they would explore that idea again.

That's a winner in my book! I'd definitely vote for that one; but I'd still like to see our gateways punctuated with something really dramatic and our skyline accented with something truly unique.

That's a winner in my book! I'd definitely vote for that one; but I'd still like to see our gateways punctuated with something really dramatic and our skyline accented with something truly unique.

It's easy - one of us just needs to win a large power ball jackpot.

The huge "5" sculpture they proposed for Five Points a number of years ago would have been cool. I wish they would explore that idea again.

omg yes that would be a great idea a big 5 in five points would look great. another good idea would be to have a sculpture for the main areas in columbia like the five points should have the 5 the vista and innovista should have there own stlye of a sculpture and main st should have a huge scupture saying MAIN ST. usc ect. you catch me?

I still think there needs to be a lighthouse. The one that existed between the Blossom and Gervaiis street bridges in the 70s (it was a restaurant of some sort) was too cool. They could build it from granite.

Wow, I remember that restaurant. I believe it was called The Lighthouse. Wasn't it a buffet with seafood and more. That was maybe back in the 80's. It was a variety of different places after that, one of which was the Crab Shack. The lighthouse was a nice feature.

I've said that I would like to see distinctive sculptures at the corners of Assembly and Gervais, preferably part of mixed-use developments at those high-profile sites, that would serve as a gateway to the Vista.

Like Trade & Tryon in Charlotte?

I've said that I would like to see distinctive sculptures at the corners of Assembly and Gervais, preferably part of mixed-use developments at those high-profile sites, that would serve as a gateway to the Vista.

yeah i think tha should be a good idea just like in charlotte.

I'd rather see sculptures in the median of Assembly, rather than the corners of that intersection. It would make for a nice buffer between the intersection and the pedestrian refuge island that would be created behind it in the median.

I'd like to see an ice skating rink and food vendors/pocket park at that intersection. The Vista needs a central gathering spot like the fountain in Five Points and the plaza in front of the CMA on Main Street.

I'd like to see an ice skating rink and food vendors/pocket park at that intersection. The Vista needs a central gathering spot like the fountain in Five Points and the plaza in front of the CMA on Main Street.

Well i talked to the mayor back in august and i said a good ideas for that parklot across the street from the south trust building is to be a 20 story tower there and across the street a plaza with sculptures and foutains he said he likes it and that would be a good spot becuase it fills in the skyline. but i like your ideas for the ice rink but i dont know if anyone would like to put one in columbia. I D ont know its just my opinion.

This is true, but that would work best with a streetscaping of Assembly to make it pedestrian-friendly along with more mixed-use density in that immediate area.

I would like to see high-density mixed use developments at both lots at Assembly and Gervais. This would create a much better connection with Main St and the Vista. The state house grounds in essentially a park in itself, so I think a pocket park would work better at a more central location in the Vista; I still think the parking lot in front of Tsunami's is a good spot (I just hate that surface lot).

Back to the topic at hand, how about a huge flame or torch, since Columbia is famously hot, lol. Better signage at our main entrances is a must.

Wow, I remember that restaurant. I believe it was called The Lighthouse. Wasn't it a buffet with seafood and more. That was maybe back in the 80's. It was a variety of different places after that, one of which was the Crab Shack. The lighthouse was a nice feature.

I believe it was the Hungry Fisherman. It was definitly around in the 80's. I remember going there with my family. They had great food and always an abundance of green jello! :sick:

I believe it was the Hungry Fisherman. It was definitly around in the 80's. I remember going there with my family. They had great food and always an abundance of green jello! :sick:

That was my first guess for the name. I spoke to a few people and they thought it was the Light House...So I went with them. Glad to see someone else agrees. Don't remember the jello, but do remember it was a huge place and the lighthouse gave it character.

:offtopic: (sorry)

I always liked the lighted overpass sign in Orlando. There are probably similar places around Columbia where a similar sign would work (Like the 277 overpass that nobody uses).

img39037ao.jpg

great idea i was thinking about something similar to this but i think there should be on on 126 also.

I think this would look good in columbia as a greeting sign and for different areas in downtown. not the CNN Sign but the idea of having giant letters in downtown saying main st or 5 points or vista. and a COLUMBIA sign on 126 coming into town.ok maybe not as big maybe a little smaller.

IMG_0067.JPG

2872440630081185768SSJgid_fs.jpg

2927189753_137ceb14fc.jpg

25358060NVqYmWkouC_fs.jpg

112097825WfmHXI_ph.jpg

Archived