New greeting sign for Columbia

growingup15

The bridge letters make practical use of wasted blank space, so I'm more inclined to support that idea. The "CNN" example would be good for the "5" in Five Points, or maybe a "V" in the vista. Of course, I think about the "LOVE" statue/art in Philadelphia when I see these kinda of things.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2848339336_e3bb15f79a.jpg

I would prefer an upscale ground sign (like above) in various places like on I-126 just before the Elmwood/Huger split and just after crossing the Gervais and Blossom street bridges into Columbia.

Nah too plain that looks boring you need something that poeple would like to see and a groud sign is not the answer. im not saying your idea is not a good one,it is im just saying columbia need something that pops and a ground sign is just boring as all the other signs around the city. its alittle too classy.

A Hollywood-like sign comes across as a rip-off. That's why Hollywood is the only place that does it.

I could see a "Five Points" statue/fountain for Five Points, or possibly something similar for the Vista. But as far as downtown, a sign like the Dubuque, Iowa sign with more landscaping would more than serve the purpose. We don't want to turn the city into a giant theme park. A well-built city is an advertisement unto itself. That's something you'll learn as you get a little older and experience other cities. :thumbsup:

Nah too plain that looks boring you need something that poeple would like to see and a groud sign is not the answer. im not saying your idea is not a good one,it is im just saying columbia need something that pops and a ground sign is just boring as all the other signs around the city. its alittle too classy.

I actually think a ground sign like that one is fitting for Columbia's image. If you're marketing your city as a center for government, business, and research, you want your gateway--people's first impression of your city--to match that. Plus, many of the major entrances to the downtown area involve river crossings; in my mind, you wouldn't want something that would detract from that feature, not to mention the greenway that's being developed to showcase it.

• 3 weeks later...

Raleigh has a rather simple, yet tasteful, welcome sign to its downtown that was recently installed. It's part of their overall wayfinding signage system. I can envision something like this for Columbia, something that's part of the same scheme of its wayfinding signs downtown (which are too small and inconspicuous, as well as ill-placed, to be of any real use if you ask me--but that's another subject).

Well, to be fair to Raleigh, the RBC tower that was completed about a year or so ago did much to balance out Raleigh's skyline. Before that, it really suffered from the "bookends" effect.

Before:

raleigh.jpg

After:

3179748733_98c39cb35d.jpg

Not arguing that it's better than Columbia's, but it's better than it used to be.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A great place for a big 5 in 5 points would be in the middle of the 5 points intersection and create a traffic circle there.

Also, for longterm, I would love to see 5 points bars all two and three stories with an outdoor walkway along the second story (new Orleans style).

A great place for a big 5 in 5 points would be in the middle of the 5 points intersection and create a traffic circle there.

Also, for longterm, I would love to see 5 points bars all two and three stories with an outdoor walkway along the second story (new Orleans style).

Oh man that would be awesome. that would be a complete 5 points redevelopment to get that. it would add more bars and businesses in 5 points

Archived