Beach Centre at 31 Ocean Progress

metalman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the development but Jew Mom's better not go anywhere. :angry: It is one of those touches of uniqueness that make our overly bland beach bearable. They need to think of some way of incorporating it or at the very least helping it move to another location on the oceanfront.

Love the development but Jew Mom's better not go anywhere. :angry: It is one of those touches of uniqueness that make our overly bland beach bearable. They need to think of some way of incorporating it or at the very least helping it move to another location on the oceanfront.
They are already talking about the old Frankie's Ribs at Laskin and Holly. I'm curious -- when you say "on the oceanfront", do you mean the area east of Atlantic, or just somewhere within four blocks west of Atlantic? Because if you take the former, it isn't there now. Anyway, just interested in how you define "on the oceanfront".

They are already talking about the old Frankie's Ribs at Laskin and Holly. I'm curious -- when you say "on the oceanfront", do you mean the area east of Atlantic, or just somewhere within four blocks west of Atlantic? Because if you take the former, it isn't there now. Anyway, just interested in how you define "on the oceanfront".

When I think "oceanfront" i'm pretty much talking about the Pacific/Atlantic corridor which is a couple blocks wide and spans the length of the beach. I would accept within four blocks as you state. The key is I want Jew Mom's to remain an integrated part of the beach, meaning that it needs to be incorporated in with whatever contiguous development arises in that area. I want it so that you can still walk to it from a hotel on the oceanfront like 31st etc. The further it is moved from the oceanfront the less it is one of those beach staples for locals and tourist alike.

Sorry guys, there's been som much development news coming out lately that I realize I have been slacking in my picture enlarging duties. :) Here's the rendering:

beachapartments.jpg

I live right down the street from here and i'm seriously considering moving to one of these apartments when this is finished.

When I think "oceanfront" i'm pretty much talking about the Pacific/Atlantic corridor which is a couple blocks wide and spans the length of the beach. I would accept within four blocks as you state.

The oceanfront design charette they held a few months back pointed to the waste of the property between Atlantic and Pacific on mainly parking lots. I agree -- "widening" the oceanfront by development corridors at Laskin, 19th, and even possibly 17th, would do much. I would add that there is something like this now at 5th/Winston Salem. How wonderful it would be if McCleskey would build a parking garage on his lot at Pacific and W-S, put oceanview condos on the top (higher than the Rudee Inlet Bridge), and put retail/restaurants facing the fishing docks -- sort of a Fisherman's Village -- and another "finger" away from the beach. Great walking corridor from Waterman's all the way to Rockefeller's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Light rail that is fully extended to Laskin Road and 31st Street would eliminate a lot of concrete (useless parking garages) would solve the traffic problem, but I don't see that happening. So, I think the Jewish Mother would relocate perhaps a few feet from its current location, perhaps for easier access (30th or 32nd St, likely?)

• 8 months later...

I really hope this development comes to fruition. It truly could set a precedence upon other development that may occur in the area. You may want to link this posting to the article and also condense the article as full posting of the article in not allowed.

bump

Wait..:huh: Is this the same project as in the Beach Center thread? If so I think I'm going to need to merge these.

Yep it sure is. Man, my brain is working slow this week, lol. I even heard that Jewish mother was moving but failed to put two and two together.

This was announced months ago...i'm sure there's a thread somewhere, the only thing holding it up will be the city

Amazing isn't it? That Burger King drive-thru sure as hell sailed through but a project that actually meets their strategic growth goals...nope..Can't have that. :rolleyes:

Amazing isn't it? That Burger King drive-thru sure as hell sailed through but a project that actually meets their strategic growth goals...nope..Can't have that. :rolleyes:

Are you gonna say no to the King??? No cause he would flame broil your ass.

But seriously....this is what they want to happen there, did they not notice it???

Awesome rendering. Reminds me of Waikiki. Just add 2 "ABC" convenience stores per block and you won't be able to tell the difference.

So the plan is to turn 32nd and 30th into bypasses for Laskin?

My guess would be that right now there is no definitive plan, which is part of the issue. There's two main conduits for 264, 22nd St and Laskin Rd. Revitalizing Laskin Rd and narrowing the street to two lanes, one in each direction will obviously create a bottleneck. The developer wants Laskin Rd to be 2 lanes, the city wants to keep it at 4 lanes. Because Thompson's not really backing down, the city is now exploring using 30th or 32nd, which doesn't really seem feasible. We'll see what happens.

• 5 weeks later...

City to redirect money

From a window of his shop at the corner of Laskin and Holly roads, Murden can see progress - the 31st Street Hilton towers before the Atlantic Ocean. Two blocks south of Murden is a new brick condominium. To his northeast is a recently built parking deck.

Virginia Beach officials hope that type of development will stretch from the Oceanfront down Laskin Road.

To make it happen, much of the city's scarce transportation money may be poured into a roadway project that will convert a quarter-mile stretch of Laskin Road, which becomes 31st Street at the Oceanfront, into a pedestrian-friendly corridor...

I like that this is moving forward, but i'm not sure that I agree with the redirection of funds from other worthy projects simply to satisfy a developer. A case can be made that those other projects are just as, if not more, necessary as this one.

City to redirect money

I like that this is moving forward, but i'm not sure that I agree with the redirection of funds from other worthy projects simply to satisfy a developer. A case can be made that those other projects are just as, if not more, necessary as this one.

Moving funds from stalled projects, regardless of their worthiness, to support viable projects makes a lot of sense. That those dollars can be amplified with federal funds only makes it more attractive.

What everyone should be calling for though, is that a portion (and I would make it a large portion) of the increased tax revenue from this project be dedicated "paying back" the redirected funds. It so often seems that projects are sold based on the increase of tax revenue which will help relieve the burden on citizens; but before any of that relief is realized, a TIF is created and the promised return is plowed back into the project with no return for taxpayers. Surely there is a middle ground between the developers and the tea partiers that could enable development while delivering the promised relief. In this case I would advocate for a way to allow Laskin to move forward while ensuring funds are available in the future should these stalled projects move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived