Beach Centre at 31 Ocean Progress

metalman

Developer Bruce Thompson could receive $1.8 million in city grants to help him transform the Laskin Road corridor near the Oceanfront into a restaurant and retail district with apartments and offices.

In the first public presentation of Thompson's Beach Centre project Tuesday, city officials said that the development could qualify for an economic development performance grant.

The grant would be in addition to $28.4 million of road and sewer improvements that Beach officials plan to undertake in that area, some of which will help Thompson's project.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/laskin-cor...et-18m-va-beach

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.vbgov.com/news.aspx?vgnextoid=3...000190c640a____

On Thurs., Sept. 3, an open house for the public will be held to discuss the first phase of the Laskin Road Gateway project, which will involve phased closures of Arctic Ave. from Sept. 8, 2009 until May 2010. Portions of Arctic Ave. will be closed to enable work crews to safely replace aging water and sewer lines, improve the storm drainage network and prepare the area for relocating overhead utility lines.

The meeting will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

Woohoo. This project officialy starts September 8!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/beach-busi...in#primary_tabs

"Why should we try to be South Beach? Why can't we be our own beach?"

Because South Beach is awesome! lol.

This gets me thinking.. If we get rid of that height restriction, with a couple more urban developments like this do you guys think it'd ever be possible to get condo towers at the oceanfront (a la miami)?

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/beach-busi...in#primary_tabs

Because South Beach is awesome! lol.

This gets me thinking.. If we get rid of that height restriction, with a couple more urban developments like this do you guys think it'd ever be possible to get condo towers at the oceanfront (a la miami)?

Absolutely. There was a condo tower proposed I think on one of the mini-golf courses that was going to be i think two 15-20 story towers with a connecting bridge. If you dig deep enough in this board, it is posted somewhere.

There are already time shares and condos by the Hilton on the water as well.

There are already residential towers on the boardwalk. The tower Mistermetaj is refering to is the Gold Key which are time share and condos, I believe with two more planned. The Barclay Towers are all residential, the Dolphin Run are owned properties, and the top coupe floors of the new Spring Hill Suite are condos. Also, the Mayflower which is between Atlantic and Pacific is residential as well.

If, when you say A la Miami, you mean to look like Miami towers then that's all up to how much the developer is willing to spend. We almost got an flowing, all glass, 15 story tower in a Marriot. But, that stalled and then turned into the Spring Hill Suite w/ condos that I mentioned above. I thought the original design for the Belmont at Freemason was a Floridian looking tower at about 20 stories and a modern and glass vibe. I thing the Hilton and Gold Key are trying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Phase I work has already begun.

On Wednesday afternoon there was a joint meeting of the RAC's Transportation, Parking, and Pedestrian Committee (TPPC) and Plan/Design Review Committee (PDRC). I serve on the former, so I was there. We looked at the Laskin Gateway Project, focusing on hammering out a compromise on what to do with 32nd Street. I think we largely have a consensus, and the consultant will be back for a week in December. (UDA is the same firm doing the Newtown SGA plan.)

Sitting there it struck me that if this project is done right, it may be the catalyst for transforming the Resort Area. While even a TPPC member like me had to learn of the transfer of funds from the newspaper, this might be it.

On height, large towers won't happen as long as the Navy is at Oceana.

The Phase I work has already begun.

On Wednesday afternoon there was a joint meeting of the RAC's Transportation, Parking, and Pedestrian Committee (TPPC) and Plan/Design Review Committee (PDRC). I serve on the former, so I was there. We looked at the Laskin Gateway Project, focusing on hammering out a compromise on what to do with 32nd Street. I think we largely have a consensus, and the consultant will be back for a week in December. (UDA is the same firm doing the Newtown SGA plan.)

Sitting there it struck me that if this project is done right, it may be the catalyst for transforming the Resort Area. While even a TPPC member like me had to learn of the transfer of funds from the newspaper, this might be it.

On height, large towers won't happen as long as the Navy is at Oceana.

So are there any plans to acquire the Atlantic Avenue Ramada? That seems to be a big obstacle for any 32nd street extension to Atlantic Avenue envisioned under the Current Laskin Gateway plan

So are there any plans to acquire the Atlantic Avenue Ramada? That seems to be a big obstacle for any 32nd street extension to Atlantic Avenue envisioned under the Current Laskin Gateway plan

It's been discussed, but is unlikely. The catch is that punching 32nd through would leave an unusual parcel on the northeast corner of 32nd/Pacific that would be difficult to redevelop.

Isn't there already a by-pass around the Farm Fresh there on lasking heading towards the beach?

If they make east-bound traffic one-way on the road south of FF and Laskin Rd west bound....I don't see a problem! dontknow.gif

Yes, that's the newly extended 30th Street. The problem is that 2 of the 3 Resort Area business groups (Hotel/Motel Association & Resort Retailers Association) oppose the use of one-way streets in the Resort Area.

In 2004 the RAC voted to make 30th & 31st one-way each way on a motion that passed by a single vote. (I was the second on the motion.) The Resort groups got our position ignored at the administrative level.

• 1 month later...

Faced with buying either new condominiums or the Surf Rider Restaurant and waterfront property to make room for a road extension, city officials are leaning toward the second option. At least, that’s the latest plan officials have come up with to extend and expand 32nd Street at the Oceanfront. The proposal, which is likely to be more expensive but affect fewer home­owners, will be formally presented to a group of civic leaders this week.

http://hamptonroads....-laskin-project

And the mandatory comment: at least its moving forward

Yeah, I posted something about this last night in the VA Beach Development thread. I think it was deleted either because the VA Beach Development thread is locked or because I just posted the link to the article with no real commentary. I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure out what is and is not acceptable here. I think, since there are multiple Surf Rider locations, this shouldn't be a big deal. I just hope they open up another Surf Rider somewhere nearby. But, then again, I actually haven't been to a Surf Rider before, so I don't know how good their food is.

Yeah, I posted something about this last night in the VA Beach Development thread. I think it was deleted either because the VA Beach Development thread is locked or because I just posted the link to the article with no real commentary. I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure out what is and is not acceptable here. I think, since there are multiple Surf Rider locations, this shouldn't be a big deal. I just hope they open up another Surf Rider somewhere nearby. But, then again, I actually haven't been to a Surf Rider before, so I don't know how good their food is.

I deleted it because there was already a thread for this project, and someone had already posted the same article in this thread. A link without comment (or at least a quote) will also get a post deleted, but that wasn't the main reason for this. I was just making sure we didn't have a duplication of posts in 2 separate threads.

I deleted it because there was already a thread for this project, and someone had already posted the same article in this thread. A link without comment (or at least a quote) will also get a post deleted, but that wasn't the main reason for this. I was just making sure we didn't have a duplication of posts in 2 separate threads.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up for me, vdogg. I'll make sure not to do that again in the future.

Oceanfront residents resisting Gateway plan

"It hasn't been good planning," said Priscilla Parcells, who lives in the Linkhorn neighborhood.

First of all, Linkhorn isn't even by the oceanfront or 31st St., so I don't consider her an "oceanfront" resident. Second of all, there have been many studies involved and this was considered the best plan. I wish the pilot would have had quoted her elaborating on what she considered "bad planning."

Residents said the city failed to take into consideration their concerns about the efficiency of a traffic circle and the transformation of residential roads into thoroughfares.

Traffic circles when done correctly are very efficient and can also be an area for works of art. See DT Norfolk or Columbus Circle in NY. Again, the Pilot fails to elaborate on such a ridiculous claim of efficiency with anyone's quote or even the author's opinion.

Some of the changes are tied to a private development project by hotelier Bruce Thompson, who built the nearby 31st Street Hilton. Thompson wants to construct apartments, stores, offices and a parking garage at 31st Street and Pacific Avenue.

The change in traffic pattern was planned before Bruce Thompson's project. But hey, why not make the city and developer look bad anyway. That is what most the readers (or at least the bloggers) enjoy. They city is lucky he is planning a development at this time, and it fits right in with what was already envisioned for the area as a "Gateway."

That alignment allows for traffic to move more smoothly, reduces the amount of property the city would have to take from Farm Fresh and affords some green space, said Dave Hansen, a deputy city manager.

And based on projected traffic counts for 2014, the new alignment should make it easier for residents to travel those roads, Hansen said.

"We designed it for the North Enders," Hansen said.

Accidentally, I think the Pilot posted a well thought out and intelligible answer to each "concern" listed above.

Greg Battaglia, with the Bay Colony civic league, said he wants to see what the city expects the situation to be in 2030. Most roads are designed to accommodate traffic for several decades, and more developments like Beach Centre around Laskin Road will add more cars to those roads and neighborhoods.

Unless he's advocating for LARGER roads and more current developments torn down, I think he's fighting the wrong fight.

Great refuting of the paranoia of these people:

1. There was no notice given to the public of the pending project.

Actually, what has become the Laskin Gateway Project came out of the public input in the charettes for the Resort Area Strategic Action Plan (RASAP). People looked at the North Beach area and asked "Why can't we have 32nd Street mirroring 30th Street?" So, it was from the public in public meetings, hardly a backroom conspiracy.

2. Doing the Project will increase traffic on Pinewood and Holly Roads.

Why would it do that? Given that there are no plans to change land uses up those roads, where would all those additional cars be going?

3. You shouldn't narrow Laskin Road.

The urban redevelopment envisioned in the RASAP wouldn't occur in the street's current configuration.

4. You should do 32nd Street before you narrow Laskin Road.

The timetable for Laskin is driven by the construction of Beach Centre. To demolish the current buildings and redo the utilities, you have to close Laskin Road.

http://avengingarchangel.blogspot.com/2009/12/laskin-road-gateway-fallacies.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two Oceanfront landmarks - The Jewish Mother and The Heritage store - must relocate by October for redevelopment at Laskin Road and Pacific Avenue. The Jewish Mother, which has served sandwiches and other casual fare there for 35 years, might move to Hilltop, the owner said Tuesday.

Developers plan to clear the property this fall and begin construction on apartments, offices and new retail space on the site, said Bruce Thompson, chief executive of Gold Key/PHR Hotels and Resorts, which purchased the property in December and is a partner in the project.

Thompson said he would welcome both The Jewish Mother and The Heritage in the finished Beach Centre. But, he acknowledged, they'd have a hard time finding temporary space for the two years of construction. He said he does want to retain the Oceanfront's local character. "We're not looking for national tenants," Thompson said. "We want owner-operated boutiques and restaurants to fill all of the retail space.

Good, the Jewish Mother would be great in the Beach Centre, and I am tired of seeing only more blase chains in new development. Ynot/frankies in Towncenter please

http://hamptonroads....er-cooking-move

Shame to hear that the Jewish Mother and Heritage will have to move, especially seeing that they are in some of the few old urban buildings at the oceanfront...especially when there is so much other suburban areas around their buildings that could be rebuilt into something more urban.

So what next, are they planning on redeveloping Rudee Inlet and getting rid of Big Sam's too?

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/beach-road-closures-announced-laskin-road-gateway

As the first phase of the Laskin Road Gateway project in Virginia Beach comes along, so will a series of road closures near the Oceanfront.

The $28.4 million project will convert a quarter-mile stretch of Laskin Road, which becomes 31st Street at the Oceanfront, into a pedestrian-friendly corridor. City officials expect the project's first phase to be completed by May 31.

Until then, officials said, drivers should expect road closures in that area. Warning signs have been posted to advise drivers of road detours, city officials said.

To keep track of the construction and road closures, visit www.VBgov.com/LaskinGateway.

According to city officials, all of the following roads will be closed starting Thursday:

These will be closed through April 15:

- Intersection of 32nd Street and Arctic Avenue

- 32nd Street: Holly Road to Arctic Avenue

- Arctic Avenue: Laskin/31st Street to 32nd Street

- Intersection of Laskin/31st Street and Arctic Avenue

These will be closed through May 31:

- Arctic Avenue: 27th Street to 30th Street

- Arctic Avenue:30th Street to Laskin/31st Street

These roads will be closed from April 15 through May 31

- 32nd Street: Arctic Avenue to Pacific Avenue

• 4 months later...

31st Street Garage proposal

June 15, 2010

Public benefits The public would gain a net of 30 additional Oceanfront parking spots. Gold Key/PHR would build a high-quality $30 million hotel. The city would gain $1 million to $1.5 million a year in local taxes. The Oceanfront would gain 120-150 high-quality rooms and 150 new jobs.

Public costs None. The city would not spend any money.

The proposal The city would lease 60 additional parking spaces to Gold Key/PHR at the existing 31st Street garage. The city would have the option of leasing 90 additional public parking spaces at the 34th Street garage. The cost is neutral. The 60 spaces would cost the same as the 90 spaces. The city would gain 30 additional public parking spaces at no additional cost. The public would pay the same amount to park at 34th Street or 31st Street. The new public spots would be on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors.

The hotel Gold Key/PHR would spend $30 million on a hotel of 120 to 150 rooms on the BP gas station property. It would be an expansion of the existing Hilton OR a 3-star national franchise. It would include 6,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space plus 7,500 square feet of meeting space. It would require a rezoning.

The pedestrian bridge Gold Key/PHR would build a second-floor pedestrian bridge connecting the new hotel to the 31st Street garage – only if the hotel is an expansion of the Hilton. The city would pay nothing. The bridge would require approval from all the usual city agencies. The term sheet agreement would NOT include prior approval.

Timing The hotel could open in 5-8 years. The parking lot agreement would not take effect until then.

31st Street Garage proposal

June 15, 2010

Public benefits The public would gain a net of 30 additional Oceanfront parking spots. Gold Key/PHR would build a high-quality $30 million hotel. The city would gain $1 million to $1.5 million a year in local taxes. The Oceanfront would gain 120-150 high-quality rooms and 150 new jobs.

Public costs None. The city would not spend any money.

The proposal The city would lease 60 additional parking spaces to Gold Key/PHR at the existing 31st Street garage. The city would have the option of leasing 90 additional public parking spaces at the 34th Street garage. The cost is neutral. The 60 spaces would cost the same as the 90 spaces. The city would gain 30 additional public parking spaces at no additional cost. The public would pay the same amount to park at 34th Street or 31st Street. The new public spots would be on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors.

The hotel Gold Key/PHR would spend $30 million on a hotel of 120 to 150 rooms on the BP gas station property. It would be an expansion of the existing Hilton OR a 3-star national franchise. It would include 6,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space plus 7,500 square feet of meeting space. It would require a rezoning.

The pedestrian bridge Gold Key/PHR would build a second-floor pedestrian bridge connecting the new hotel to the 31st Street garage – only if the hotel is an expansion of the Hilton. The city would pay nothing. The bridge would require approval from all the usual city agencies. The term sheet agreement would NOT include prior approval.

Timing The hotel could open in 5-8 years. The parking lot agreement would not take effect until then.

Thanks for the posting, but mind providing the source link?

Archived