Sommet Center street front retail

nashvillwill

Tennessean.com

David Freeman is pitching to have street front retail renovated into the current Sommet Center. It would be a good compliment to the convention center. The corner of Demonbreun and 5th has a huge hall of wasted space currently in the Sommet. This would be a good use of the space, however Freeman and co. are very limited as to what they can do. Most anything would have to be approved by the city.

It would be a great opportunity for a few small spaces like a coffee shop, restaurant, or maybe even something bigger like retail or a grocery store.

An expanded pro shop, with street access would do the Predators some good as well.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. If he can pull this off it will help the dead space around the area tremendously. I would like to see some outdoor cafe style places myself, and I think the large sidewalk across from the park would be perfect for this.

There is a Cheesecake Factory adjacent to the Seattle convention center (in the street level of a parking structure, I believe) that always seemed to have lines waiting for tables spilling out onto the sidewalks on weekends. Granted, downtown Seattle is a very busy area with both residents and visitors and might not provide an appropriate comparison. (Cheesecake Factory would NOT be my first choice for the space, but LOTS of people love them it seems!)

Maybe not much motivation to build it, but hopefully with the influx of condo dwellers and in the not too far future convention visitors this will pick up in addition to the Preds games and other Sommet events. Give Nashvillians reasons to stay downtown!

There is a Cheesecake Factory adjacent to the Seattle convention center (in the street level of a parking structure, I believe) that always seemed to have lines waiting for tables spilling out onto the sidewalks on weekends. Granted, downtown Seattle is a very busy area with both residents and visitors and might not provide an appropriate comparison. (Cheesecake Factory would NOT be my first choice for the space, but LOTS of people love them it seems!)

I've wondered the same thing about the Encore retail, it's like 70 percent sold.... tough economic times i'm sure.

Anyways, I thought the SEC men's basketball tournament was in Nashville this year??? Is it supposed to be next year? It would be great for our downtown and city to host that!

Ok I just checked and we are hosting it next year. Hopefully we'll be seeing a new convention center under construction.

Archived