Jobs in Michigan

I think the common-sense approach is to firstly figure out what you want to do with your life. If you have to take a few classes at CC, do it. But, now is not the era to go enroll in college to "find oneself." Once you know what you want to do - poetry, nursing, auto repair, whatever - figure out how to educate yourself. Talk to employers where you might want to work one day - ask them what training they would want to see in an applicant.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of what I do for a living, I wanted to add my ten cents in to this conversation.

When we talk with clients about permanent positions, there are a few reasons why they ask for a degreed candidate:

1. It shows that the candidate was able to see something through. Finishing college seems to be a struggle for many people. Lots of folks start college, but you would be surprised at the numbers that don't finish. It is staggering.

2. Make no mistake: There are many jobs that require a type of degree because of the field. For instance, any engineering positions that we work on always require a degree because there is really no other way to develop the skills necessary to be successful in any area of that field.

3. I agree, there are some people who should not go to college. It is not for everyone. However, just having a degree does not make you worthy of a job. Most of my clients start from the stance of requiring a degree to be considered for the position. But, as time goes on and they do not find the right person, they tend to become more flexible. Also, if I have someone with demonstrated experience who is non-degreed, and I feel that they are just as good if not better than my degreed candidates, I will call my client and let them know that.

In short, a resume is simply your business card; it is what gets you noticed. Degrees are like putting some color on a black and white document: They catch your attention but quickly become unimportant if the content is weak and if the person behind the paper is not up to par.

By the way, last year we placed over 40 people in West Michigan without degrees in to positions that paid over 65K (some over 100K), so it does happen. But it all comes down to having other things in your background that make you stand out. If you can get a degree that applies to the job that you want to have, then you should do it. If you are going just to go, I believe that getting some real world experience could serve you just as well. But again, that depends on the type of job that you want.

Hope this helps.

2. Make no mistake: There are many jobs that require a type of degree because of the field. For instance, any engineering positions that we work on always require a degree because there is really no other way to develop the skills necessary to be successful in any area of that field......

...it is never too late go get an education. I attended a graduation ceremony for a relative last year who decided to go to college at age 48. He had been an auto mechanic most of his life and ended up teaching this subject part time at a local community college. They told him that in order to get a full time position he would have to have a degree. He did this and now is a full time teacher there with good pay and benefits. It can happen at any age.

Background: I call barn dances, old-time square dances.

My mentor for this activity was an engineering exec at GM, with a degreee in whatever they teach you at the former GMI (now Kettering Univ). He retired from that a few years ago, and in his late 50s began taking classes so as to get a masters in education (achieved at the tender age of 61).

I suspect that most of the coursework was a cakewalk (dance reference!) for him. He's been putting together lesson plans for 30 years. Presentation: not needed. Authority in the classroom: ditto.

But now that he has the ME degree, he can include that credential on his CV and command higher prices for his dance calling gigs.

Archived