More buildings to be torn down in the LaGrave/Sheldon/Cherry St area

GRDadof3

John- Consider this your final warning. This is the second pissy comments you've made against this site and the members in the last couple of days. If you don't want to be involved with this group (which by all means, you don't have to agree with), you can leave!

Joe

DSchoon,

Please don't listen to these incurably ignorant people. If you can get the ball rolling to have the buildings moved to a good location, please do so.

Sincerely,

~John

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke with Gregory Dziadosz from Touchstone Innovare this afternoon. If anyone wants the buildings, they can have them. He cautions that they are not all that great on the inside. Saving the buildings on site does not sound like an option.

wow, so the buildings are free... we just need land and the abitlity to move them!?

wow, so the buildings are free... we just need land and the abitlity to move them!?

I scoped out the entire block today, and that's easier said then done. There are a ton of street lights poking out over the streets, and a lot of trees to contend with. Plus, the new roundabouts make going up Cherry or Wealthy out of the question. Not to mention a big concrete streetlight RIGHT in front of the Perry, and big high-power lines running down the alley in the back. Oyyy.

Thanks though DSchoon!

I noticed this today and it's even better illustrated from above. You think they have a parking problem in that area? :o

3385069725_62595cc852_o.jpg

Update: My engineering expert tells me the apartment building ain't moving. The house could be moved, but no chance on the building.

That's one opinion.

DS, can you ask Tom's building-moving expert source?

And please send your engineer the link I found about Detroit's Gem Theatre.

I contacted Gregory Dziadosz as well in an email and he seemed very genuine about saving the buildings. As DSchoon has mentioned, he is very willing to work with anyone or any organization who wants them, provided someone else move them in the timeframe allowed. Apparently I was only the second person to contact him directly on this issue, but it seems as though he understood our concerns. Now, if we can just get an organization to move them, that would be awesome.

That won't be cool if the Perry can't be moved. I hope there are others that think it is possible. Maybe this could be a guiness book world record move? ;)

Does anyone know a great source of funding? This may take a lot.

I contacted Gregory Dziadosz as well in an email and he seemed very genuine about saving the buildings. As DSchoon has mentioned, he is very willing to work with anyone or any organization who wants them, provided someone else move them in the timeframe allowed. Apparently I was only the second person to contact him directly on this issue, but it seems as though he understood our concerns. Now, if we can just get an organization to move them, that would be awesome.

That won't be cool if the Perry can't be moved. I hope there are others that think it is possible. Maybe this could be a guiness book world record move? ;)

Does anyone know a great source of funding? This may take a lot.

we need to contact the guy who organized the zombie thing.. he can get a good following...

This is America! We don't do things small or we wouldn't have Monster Truck rallies or shows on the Discovery Channel called Modern Marvels. I am holding out hope that we can do this. Just look at what we've done already: we started a facebook page that now has over 150 people supporting and the non-profits have "ok'd" the free acquisition and removal of the buildings. All we need to do now is move them. Although technically not free (since they need moved), it would be truly dissapointing if this is for nothing. I plan on emailing Rhonda Baker (GR's preservationist) to see if there is anything in government she can do regarding moving buildings. I think we should contact the surrounding organizations and churches to see if they want a free building or two.

Too big.

It's one opinion.

Thats parking for Catholic Central juniors. I'm not positive but I believe they now occupy the parking ramp as well as this lot. The seniors parking lot was where the parking ramp is now so I'm sure they take up most of the ramp's spaces during school hours.

I made the mistake of pulling into that lot and then almost couldn't get back out. I guess high-schoolers are just glad they get to drive, and don't care about being quadruple parked. I talked to someone today who said it's been like that for 20 years at least.

All this attention we are giving this matter is making a difference though.

I made the mistake of pulling into that lot and then almost couldn't get back out. I guess high-schoolers are just glad they get to drive, and don't care about being quadruple parked. I talked to someone today who said it's been like that for 20 years at least.

All this attention we are giving this matter is making a difference though.

I can vouch for at least the last 15 years. I remember parking in that lot. It used to be worse because there was house in the upper left of that lot. I should post a pic of what the senior lot used to look like (where the ramp is now). It was half the size of what it is now and the cars were packed tighter. The cops would come around on a daily basis and issue tickets for cars parked on the sidewalk. Ah...back in the day.

I scoped out the entire block today, and that's easier said then done. There are a ton of street lights poking out over the streets, and a lot of trees to contend with. Plus, the new roundabouts make going up Cherry or Wealthy out of the question. Not to mention a big concrete streetlight RIGHT in front of the Perry, and big high-power lines running down the alley in the back. Oyyy.

I checked it out tonight. IMHO, very movable and doable. Streetlights, easy to take down and put back up, just a few power lines if it goes south, roundabout's - go right over them after a few signs are temporarily removed. I even spotted a couple locations to move to :whistling:

BTW - anyone notice the beam out the back of the south building over what appears to be freight doors on every floor? Looks like if you have a heavy object, they can put a chain fall on the beam and hoist it up from the outside.

I checked it out tonight. IMHO, very movable and doable. Streetlights, easy to take down and put back up, just a few power lines if it goes south, roundabout's - go right over them after a few signs are temporarily removed. I even spotted a couple locations to move to :whistling:

BTW - anyone notice the beam out the back of the south building over what appears to be freight doors on every floor? Looks like if you have a heavy object, they can put a chain fall on the beam and hoist it up from the outside.

Yes, I did notice that. :)

How would the architects and architectural critics here feel about substituting split face block for the garden level of the Perry, as opposed to brick? It doesn't sound like the garden level can be moved. :( In other words, if this building moves, it's going to be from the tan colored stone line and up:

524929239_332e0a01f5_b.jpg

Here's an example of a split face block base combined with brick. Icon on Bond is another example, minus the windows. :)

1432235941_6727f7aa25_b.jpg

Another example:

508164936_4209ff77a7_b.jpg

Archived