More buildings to be torn down in the LaGrave/Sheldon/Cherry St area

GRDadof3

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would the architects and architectural critics here feel about substituting split face block for the garden level of the Perry, as opposed to brick? It doesn't sound like the garden level can be moved. :( In other words, if this building moves, it's going to be from the tan colored stone line and up:

Couple thoughts come to mind. First, it would be impossible to match the aged, weathered brick on top with a new brick for the garden level. If it were replaced with brick, it would be obvious that it was old vs. new. My initial reaction to the split face idea was 'Oh Hell No', but after thinking about it for a bit, I'm not sure what a better alternative would be. You don't want to try to match and be off, because then it just looks awkward. I don't know... I wouldn't do a split face in the same color range as the existing tho... maybe a tan to match the color range of the horizontal band? I'm just not sure...

Edit- After looking at the picture again, I think going with a deeper red then the existing brick would be way better then the tan. But what do I know? :P

Couple thoughts come to mind. First, it would be impossible to match the aged, weathered brick on top with a new brick for the garden level. If it were replaced with brick, it would be obvious that it was old vs. new. My initial reaction to the split face idea was 'Oh Hell No', but after thinking about it for a bit, I'm not sure what a better alternative would be. You don't want to try to match and be off, because then it just looks awkward. I don't know... I wouldn't do a split face in the same color range as the existing tho... maybe a tan to match the color range of the horizontal band? I'm just not sure...

Edit- After looking at the picture again, I think going with a deeper red then the existing brick would be way better then the tan. But what do I know? :P

That was my thought. Not only would the bricks be hard to match, they're not the same on the back and sides as they are on the front, so you'd have even a harder time making it look cohesive.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...2_1243409_n.jpg

I too was thinking a nice tan (maybe with red mixed in) that would match the stone border, the tan keystones and the tan border at the top.

Amen. They could not have done a nicer job on the Blodgett renovation.

FB group is hovering at 200 members...

Call it a pet peeve of mine but I usually end up scratching my head trying to figure out your frequent use of abbreviations in what's otherwise enjoyable, albeit cryptic posts :) Maybe it's some type of urbanspeak style I haven't learned yet but for someone who might not follow lengthy threads the term 'FB' may be totally undecipherable. And while I've got you here mind telling me what 'Triple G' means in the phrase 'Triple G has revised priorities' in another thread? Thanks.

How would the architects and architectural critics here feel about substituting split face block for the garden level of the Perry, as opposed to brick? It doesn't sound like the garden level can be moved.

Actually, I think using finished faced manufactured limestone would be much more historically accurate as a finish surface material - Image of manufactured limestone finish

You (re)construct the base with concrete structural block and finish the surface with manufactured stone, preferably a limestone.

Actually, I think using finished faced manufactured limestone would be much more historically accurate as a finish surface material - Image of manufactured limestone finish

You (re)construct the base with concrete structural block and finish the surface with manufactured stone, preferably a limestone.

Anyone know how much of a premium manufactured stone would be over split face block?

Call it a pet peeve of mine but I usually end up scratching my head trying to figure out your frequent use of abbreviations in what's otherwise enjoyable, albeit cryptic posts :) Maybe it's some type of urbanspeak style I haven't learned yet but for someone who might not follow lengthy threads the term 'FB' may be totally undecipherable. And while I've got you here mind telling me what 'Triple G' means in the phrase 'Triple G has revised priorities' in another thread? Thanks.

I would think that anyone following this thread would have seen the references to setting up a Facebook page.

GR Grid Girl is a long-timer on UP (er, Urban Planet) and she used to organize the Lunch & Learn events.

Hope This Helps

Anyone know how much of a premium manufactured stone would be over split face block?

There would be a very huge premium, however the statement is correct that it would be more historically accurate. If the wall is a solid brick wall, which I would assume it is due to the age, there would be a very high chance that you could be able to get plenty of salvage material from the part that couldn't be moved to at east do the front facade in the correct, existing brick. Then perhaps wrap the rear in the split face if necessary.

I would think that anyone following this thread would have seen the references to setting up a Facebook page.

As I said, for 'someone who might not follow lengthy threads'

GR Grid Girl is a long-timer on UP (er, Urban Planet) and she used to organize the Lunch & Learn events.

Hope This Helps

Thanks!

Depending on the new site - interior versus corner lot - you could reduce the costs by just finishing the street side facade(s), which this building probably has currently (finish face brick on street facade and common structural brick on interior sides and rear).

Or what jbr12 said - though you'd have issues with timing the construction of the new garden level while the rest of the building is in transit or sitting to the side of the site while the garden level is constructed with the old brick.

Likely, scenario would be that the new garden level is built - the building moved to new site - the old brick at old site is salvaged and sold on the open market.

I can't see why the brick can't be salvaged and used on the new garden level. I'm assuming poured concrete walls that the brick could be added to. Or perhaps, concrete columns with standard infill that can accept brick. Reusing the brick is not all that difficult, just takes some $$$$. Fire Station #5 was taken down brick by brick and board by board, cleaned and rebuilt in Allendale next to West Shore Services. In fact Jeff DuPilka at West Shore Services would be a good resource person for this project :thumbsup: .

I don't see the timing being too big of a deal. The new foundation walls could go up, the building moved and the existing stone and brick above held in place with shoring until the existing garden level brick could be salvaged, cleaned and re-installed. Would not be the cheapest option by any means

But what of the House next to the Perry? It's great that ICCF has an interest in the Perry, but does someone know someone that would want that building? Has anyone heard any chatter on it?

In Knape's most recent article on this issue, it is said that it would probably be more economically difficult than the Perry to move which, to me, seems a bit odd since the footprint and size are smaller. Is it because of its design or age?

I recently emailed GVSU's real estate student association to see if they had an interest in this issue. I have not heard back from their president, but hopefully something may come about.

But what of the House next to the Perry? It's great that ICCF has an interest in the Perry, but does someone know someone that would want that building? Has anyone heard any chatter on it?

In Knape's most recent article on this issue, it is said that it would probably be more economically difficult than the Perry to move which, to me, seems a bit odd since the footprint and size are smaller. Is it because of its design or age? ...

Perhaps because it is smaller, the return on investment wouldn't be as good. (not sure)

You know you're hooked on UP when you sit in a brightly-lit parking lot with EVDO checking the latest postings

In Knape's most recent article on this issue, it is said that it would probably be more economically difficult than the Perry to move which, to me, seems a bit odd since the footprint and size are smaller. Is it because of its design or age?

I recently emailed GVSU's real estate student association to see if they had an interest in this issue. I have not heard back from their president, but hopefully something may come about.

The footprints are very similar in size actually, or at least not that much different to make the cost of moving, reconstruction and land acquisition that much different. The problem becomes that if it costs $350 - $500,000 to move either of them (and it will), how do you recoup those costs (through rent). The Perry has a lot more potential rental income than the house.

I like the idea of salvaging the garden level brick if possible. Or at least the portion on the front.

Do you think they could influence some organizations to help move the buildings?

Also, how should this issue go forward? Since the ICCF is showing an interest in the Perry, attention should be drawn towards the farmhouse.

Should there be a fundraising component to this movement? A lunch n' learn perhaps? Or should there be more outreach? I think a lunch n' learn would be a pretty cool way for UPers to get familiar with the buildings and their history while brainstorming ideas.

Do you think they could influence some organizations to help move the buildings?

Also, how should this issue go forward? Since the ICCF is showing an interest in the Perry, attention should be drawn towards the farmhouse.

Should there be a fundraising component to this movement? A lunch n' learn perhaps? Or should there be more outreach? I think a lunch n' learn would be a pretty cool way for UPers to get familiar with the buildings and their history while brainstorming ideas.

Hey, great idea. Who would lead the tour? Someone familiar with either/each building...

We have not had a L&L since January '08. It's about time.

For anyone interested in moving the house, they should get started right away on the feasibility of it. All of those buildings are slated to be demolished on or around Aug. 1st, which is not that long.

My advice is, instead of getting a grass roots effort together, l&l's and trying to raise money (basically looking for someone else to git r dun), one or a few people need to look at it as a business opportunity, try to get financing, and then see if there are any small incentives here and there to help get it done. You'll never raise that kind of money fast enough as a non-profit "community organization". Plus, who will maintain the house when it's moved? You don't want it to end up like the house on the West side that moved and sat boarded and vacant for years afterward (I still think it's either boarded or was finally torn down). You're not going to find a foundation or organization that has several hundred thousand dollars lying around right now to move a building.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...ions_watch.html

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but many times these things turn into an effort to get government intervention, or one big protest to change policy, or to get "someone else" to save it (it always seems to be passive instead of active), when it really needs one or two people with some cajones to make it happen.

One other note: ICCF is not "spearheading" the possible move of the Perry; they are "helping to facilitate", if it's possible.

• 4 months later...

Archived