The first large City to go lose their mall

cyclingundertheson

As the new lifestyle centers evolve which major mall will be the first to go leaving a larger city without an enclosed mall. Augusta Mall seems to be in better position to survive and compete with the new lifestyle center and Oglethorpe Mall in Savannah is the most indangered as downtown shopping is taking over and its mild climate makes outdoor shopping more appealing. How are the Macon, Georgia Square, and Peachtree Malls faring. Has crime increased in these malls? are stores moving to lifestyle centers here?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the new lifestyle centers evolve which major mall will be the first to go leaving a larger city without an enclosed mall. Augusta Mall seems to be in better position to survive and compete with the new lifestyle center and Oglethorpe Mall in Savannah is the most indangered as downtown shopping is taking over and its mild climate makes outdoor shopping more appealing. How are the Macon, Georgia Square, and Peachtree Malls faring. Has crime increased in these malls? are stores moving to lifestyle centers here?

Well to be honest with you I don't think Macon will lose it Mall. Right now the Mall is having difficult times with a lot of stores closing because of financial problem cause by the Economic down turn. I Spoke with John F. Bemis-Executive Vice President Director of Leasing and Development at Jones Lang LaSalle the company that manages the Mall. He said they are working very hard to improve the merchandise mix, but Unfortunately in the current economic environment retailers are facing very difficult challenges and stores are being closed across the country. Jones Lang LaSalle and the team at Macon Mall will continue to strive to provide the best possible shopping options. I heard that they were looking at the Augusta Mall new overhaul to get idea for the Macon Mall to help it Compete with the new 800,000sqft Open air Center in North Macon, but then economy took a turn for the worst and plans were paused and some of the new proposed tenants pull back or postponed until 2010 or 2011.... Dillard closed it Macon Mall store because of it's company financial hardship but kept its North Macon store; Ideally Dillard had originally planned to keep both stores open as Belk has done, one at the mall and the other at the new north Macon center. I think you will see a lot of positive changes and improvements at the Macon Mall starting around 2010 sort of what's happening at the Augusta Mall now.

There is a perception by some that crime is increasing at Peachtree, but CPD statistics don't bear that out. A power center opened farther north (the growing side) than Columbus' only indoor mall, but virtually all of the stores came from outside of the market - new to the town, or moved from other areas of town, not Peachtree mall. Similarly, another power center opened in Opelika in Lee County, Alabama with typical Power Center stores. No apparent impact to Columbus' mall. Probably only another indoor mall could impact Peachtree.

• 1 year later...

I certainly can't imagine where Columbus1984 got the idea that the mall would close; at the time of his posting it still had four major anchors (three of which did not have any other locations in Macon and one of which, Macy's, didn't have a location in WR either). It had a decent amount of small shops, but they were spread out over a space that was too large, thus HSG concentrated them into one wing of the mall. But I still didn't see a reason for NewtownMacon478's "WRONG AGAIN!!!!!" POST. I think by now Columbus1984 has already learned his prediction wasn't coming true, especially considering he made that prediction almost 2 years ago.

• 4 months later...

As soon as they get the chance, I'm sure JCPenney and Macy's will open new stores in north Macon - probably relocations. If so, it would leave Belk and Sears as the only anchors of the mall, and Belk can already pull the plug on their mall store at any moment. This leaves Sears..... which can probably close and feel comfortable about leaving their Warner Robins store as an option to Maconites. I can sort of see Hull Storey Gibson trying to entice Burlington Coat Factory to move to the mall from Westgate, and maybe try to get TJMaxx to come back to Macon, but in the long run I don't think they can save the mall.

Has anyone ever seen a Macy's at a lifestyle center or a standalone store? Dillard's and Belk have been doing it, and JCPenney has started doing it, but I've never heard of Macy's doing it.

As soon as they get the chance, I'm sure JCPenney and Macy's will open new stores in north Macon - probably relocations. If so, it would leave Belk and Sears as the only anchors of the mall, and Belk can already pull the plug on their mall store at any moment. This leaves Sears..... which can probably close and feel comfortable about leaving their Warner Robins store as an option to Maconites. I can sort of see Hull Storey Gibson trying to entice Burlington Coat Factory to move to the mall from Westgate, and maybe try to get TJMaxx to come back to Macon, but in the long run I don't think they can save the mall.

Has anyone ever seen a Macy's at a lifestyle center or a standalone store? Dillard's and Belk have been doing it, and JCPenney has started doing it, but I've never heard of Macy's doing it.

There is a Macy's located at the Avenue Carriage Crossing in Collierville, TN.

There is a Macy's located at the Avenue Carriage Crossing in Collierville, TN.

I'm sure they will. I went to Macon last week and it was so sad to see Macon the way it was :(

I mean North Macon was really nice and bustling but pretty much every other part of it seemed to be dying, and it was a very sad sight. I didn't think that area looked that bad and I can't see how Macy's and Belk keep those stores open.

Also there's one at Easton Town Center in OH.

• 11 months later...

Well, developments of the last year seem to have confirmed that Macon will indeed be the first major city to lose their mall. Sears is gone and Belk is going at the end of the year. I don't see how Macy's and JCPenney will be interested in hanging on past 2013, Macy's especially. Office Depot is moving into the old Linens 'n' Things on Macon Mall's outparcel, but that won't do them any good. I don't think the mall can survive with 2 occupied anchors and 2 empty anchors in such a depressed part of town. I can't say for sure which anchor will leave first, but I lean toward Macy's, if JCP is still going ahead with their renovation. Either way, once one of them leaves, the other will be sure to follow.

Well, developments of the last year seem to have confirmed that Macon will indeed be the first major city to lose their mall. Sears is gone and Belk is going at the end of the year. I don't see how Macy's and JCPenney will be interested in hanging on past 2013, Macy's especially. Office Depot is moving into the old Linens 'n' Things on Macon Mall's outparcel, but that won't do them any good. I don't think the mall can survive with 2 occupied anchors and 2 empty anchors in such a depressed part of town. I can't say for sure which anchor will leave first, but I lean toward Macy's, if JCP is still going ahead with their renovation. Either way, once one of them leaves, the other will be sure to follow.

JCP isn't paying for the renovation Hull Story Gibson is.My sister who works at JCP had her hours cut from 37 a week down to 14hrs a month.

JCP isn't paying for the renovation Hull Story Gibson is.My sister who works at JCP had her hours cut from 37 a week down to 14hrs a month.

I know HSG is paying for it. I mean that if JCP is still going forward with (having HSG do) a renovation on their store, they probably intend to stay, at least for a while.

Archived