Lansing-to-Detroit High-speed Rail Proposal

RustTown

While many people, including myself, are highly skeptical of the dubious Interstate Traveler Company of Whitmore Lake, the idea of a Lansing-to-Detroit high-speed rail line has been in existence since early this decade. In fact, a study was even done on it, I believe, so at least it's gotten past that stage.

Anyway, it looks like the legislature is going to take up Interstate Traveler Company's plans to mull over and see what comes of it. I'm just happy that there seems to know be bi-partisan support for transit and a more open mind than we've ever had on the issue. I can say personally that if a line was built, I'd probably never drive my car to the city or the airport.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really doubt their concept like others seem to. I think a prefab MagLev train is a good idea and probably feasible. I'm sure their designs would have to be modified quite a bit to make it to a practical production design, but they are all preliminary designs anyways from my understanding. I really hope to see this project move forward, it's great that there's at least some serious talk about it.

It's not preliminary. This company has been formed for years, and their website still looks elementary, and their concept still hasn't been fleshed out. I'm all for the general idea of any kind of rail between Detroit and Lansing (even if it's just a souped-up Amtrak line), but if they want people to be serious about them (outside of the few Republicans giving the proposal the time of day because this involves no state money to develop), they've got to show they are serious, and they've yet to do that. That this hasn't been implemented, or even seriously attempted to have been implemented, anywhere else says a lot about this company, and nothing good.

• 2 years later...

The GR to Detroit C&O line used to be THE way to get between the major cities of the state. Before I-96, the route along Grand River Drive took several hours, and involved crawling through city traffic in Lansing and then in Detroit. In 1946, the Pere Marquettes were introduced as the first post war streamliner and were very popular; The timing between GR Union Station and Lansing was 66 minutes on the express, and would get a traveller to Detroit in less than two additional hours. This train stopped only in Lansing, Plymouth and Detroit. There was a local that stopped in Lake Odessa, Grand Ledge, Williamston, Fowlerville and Howell as well.

Archived