Southern High-Speed Rail

richyb83

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd use the hell out of a rail linking Baton Rouge with New Orleans....if I still lived down there. Imagine not having to pay for a hotel room for the Saints games or the LSU games.

The link to the NOLA airport would be nice too.

I just wouldn't want 10 stops in between.

I'd use the hell out of a rail linking Baton Rouge with New Orleans....if I still lived down there. Imagine not having to pay for a hotel room for the Saints games or the LSU games.

Just the airport would make it worth while. Imagine if they would have built the airport out in St James.

Same here. 10 stops between the two cities would be far to many, 6 stops could get it done. BTR airport, Downtown, Somewhere in Ascension, St. John Parish, N.O. Airport and Downtown.

You said Saints and LSU games. You can also add Hornets and festivals to that list. But the problem is those are weekend commutes and not 9-5 M-F paying customer riders. There's just not a demand that warrants the cost when there is already a interstate.

You said Saints and LSU games. You can also add Hornets and festivals to that list. But the problem is those are weekend commutes and not 9-5 M-F paying customer riders. There's just not a demand that warrants the cost when there is already a interstate.

What about in 20 years when more people travel between the two? It's not like it would be operational in 6 months. Build for the future and not for the present. That's what's wrong with most of our infrastructure now.

What about in 20 years when more people travel between the two? It's not like it would be operational in 6 months. Build for the future and not for the present. That's what's wrong with most of our infrastructure now.

What are you talking about? Again, there's no logical reason for a commuter to travel back and forth between BR and NOLA 5 days a week and have it pay for itself.

What are you talking about? Again, there's no logical reason for a commuter to travel back and forth between BR and NOLA 5 days a week and have it pay for itself.

If these studies indicate there are enough demand, they'll build it.

Do you have some evidence to back up your claims that it wouldn't be used?

Seems like the festivals, Saints games, LSU football and baseball games, and Mardi grad alone would justify at least a seasonal route.

We all complain when infrastructure isn't in place until years after people need it.

Except for the people that live in metro Baton Rouge and travel to New Orleans everyday.

Did you know I-10, I-12, I-110 and maintenance first pay for itself, ever. However, it's not magically free.

Let's forget about all of the benefits of a commuter train for attending sporting events, festivals or parades, or even shopping days or party nights in New Orleans.

According to Census data, there are approximately 26,000 daily commuters from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and approximately 22,000 from NO to BR. That's almost 50,000 daily commuters who elect to drive!?! Imagine how many more would take a train if given the option. Think of what that would mean for our graduates who could be given the option to live in BR but be a part of a super economic region and have (potentially) greater opportunities working in NO.

I would like a connection from Baton Rouge to the north shore and the Mississippi/Alabama gulf coast as well.....and hopefully cut back on some of the interstate widening that is needed.....although I don't think it is possible to get away with not widening 12 at least to Covington.

Some of this, along with the freeway widening, was part of the stimulus. Looking back, it is shocking how such a small portion of it was devoted to infrastructure. I would have put almost all of if into roads, levees, and rail.

Let's forget about all of the benefits of a commuter train for attending sporting events, festivals or parades, or even shopping days or party nights in New Orleans.

According to Census data, there are approximately 26,000 daily commuters from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and approximately 22,000 from NO to BR. That's almost 50,000 daily commuters who elect to drive!?! Imagine how many more would take a train if given the option. Think of what that would mean for our graduates who could be given the option to live in BR but be a part of a super economic region and have (potentially) greater opportunities working in NO.

This is Greek to him.

1. Of those daily commuters, how many are traveling to one location within walking distance to a train station?

2. Of those daily commuters how many are delivering goods? Tools? Machinery? Deliverys? Services?

Pretty naive if you think that census number validates the cost or need for yet another mode of transportation between BR and NOLA.

1. Of those daily commuters, how many are traveling to one location within walking distance to a train station?

2. Of those daily commuters how many are delivering goods? Tools? Machinery? Deliverys? Services?

Pretty naive if you think that census number validates the cost or need for yet another mode of transportation between BR and NOLA.

I slightly agree. The problem is, is that those 50k commuters live in suburbia and getting to the translation would require a park and ride. Its been proven time and time again that stations that are surrounded by density and walkable communities (just like the old railroad suburbs) increase ridership more than a park and ride. Also, the people living in suburbia have little incentive to use the rail line because its inconvenient compared to someone living a few blocks away in a walkable community.

However, I do believe a rail line is needed, but it will never achieve a high ridership until people live closer to the station, or the station is connected to a reliable city mass transit system making the need for a vehicle obsolete. This is much easier to do in Nola because much of the older parts of the city follow this model of development... but here in BR is another story....

• 4 months later...

This is not going away...

Rail service draws interest .....Possible BR, N.O. route discussed

Passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans was one of the major topics of interest at public meetings this week to get input on revising the State Rail Plan. The state Department of Transportation and Development held the meetings. Talk of setting up a rail line connecting the two cities was the dominant issue at a meeting Wednesday in Baton Rouge at BREC’s Independence Park.

Justin Fox, senior project manager for CDM Smith, the firm retained by DOTD to develop the rail plan, said there was much discussion of the issue the day before at a hearing in New Orleans.

Rachel DiResto, executive vice president of the Center for Planning Excellence, said about 52,000 people travel between Baton Rouge and New Orleans on a daily basis. CPEX has formed the Connect coalition, a group of about 40 private and public groups in Baton Rouge and New Orleans that are pushing for rail service between the two cities. “A Baton Rouge-New Orleans connection has tremendous economic potential,” said Doug Daigle, a Baton Rouge resident who attended the meeting. “The interstate highway system is probably becoming a hindrance between the two cities.”

http://theadvocate.c...-draws-interest

Its funny how a person can buy a car or a home and they are considered an "Asset”, when they are borrowing money THAT THEY DON’T HAVE from a lender or mortgage company creating a personal “debt” for something that they think is needed. So, I’m thinking like all of the people that are paying a mortgage on a home...”I’d rather the state get in to “debt” for something that could be an “asset” to the community and the region”. The commuter rail to New Orleans is desperately needed and it will alleviate traffic off our state highways and interstate systems. :fun:

Hold your horses. The rail is not desperately needed. Traffic on I-10 is not as light as it used to be but it's not bumper-to-bumper. Our two respective metro areas only combine to just over 2 million people. The only way this potential investment and asset to our state and region will prosper is if it is built right. That means no stops south of Gonzales and no stops north of MSY and that means ungraded tracks that can allow for speeds over 100mph or greater. The service has to entice people out of their cars, visitors to New Orleans can easily do without a car the entire time in New Orleans, the same cannot be said for Baton Rouge unless they go to a game at Tiger Stadium, or a concert at the River Center and leave that same night. The only way I would be more comfortable with a rail between the two cities is if Baton Rouge invests more in public transit, including streetcars/light rail.

Archived