Southern High-Speed Rail

richyb83

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TRE runs from downtown Dallas to downtown Fort Worth. Last time I was there, it was $10 for a day pass and it ran a lot mor e frequently then twice a day.

About connecting this thing to Texas, I think Texas' government is more concerned with building roads that people need and not so much trains. Baton Rouge should design a station that allows for a future expansion to the west, if it becomes necessary.

It should be built to allow North, West, and Eastern expansion. 

I'm a firm believer that it would have to be able to go high speed in order for it to be successful. It has to be able to compete with people just hoping into their cars and driving down to the Quarter or the Dome themselves. In order for it to do that it needs to be built from scratch. No existing equipment or infrastructure can accommodate it as is.

The majority of people going to and from either Baton Rouge or New Orleans are urban sprawl folks, I imagine. These are the people just outside the city limits or the next town over. Could it be more reasonable and less risky for both BR and NOLA to build just it's first section of line out to the suburbs where it can market for the majority of its ridership. If it turns out to be successful then build out to the next area until the tracks join in the middle. If it ends up being a failure, you've only lost a quarter million on the investment and not half a billion.

When and if the two lines ever met in the middle and you have a full line running from downtown to downtown, I would have a single train (for safety) start with a "local" run stopping at each station along the way going to NOLA and back and then an "express" run from DT to DT and then repeat. Feedback?

Interesting idea ehyfield.

But I would argue that the "urban sprawl folks" would be more likely to drive to downtown baton rouge, instead of dealing with the hassle of a park and ride for a daily commute. They may however considering a park and ride for a weekend getaway to new Orleans or perhaps for a game.

Also, I have never believed park and rides in the suburbs to be particularly successful, most mass transit is successful when there are multiple stops that unload people into walkable urban environments. Meaning someone can comfortably walk from their house to the station, and then from their final stop to their final destination and currently that isn't (nor will it ever be) possible in suburban baton rouge. So mass transit on a daily basis will never be as successful in suburban Baton Rouge as compared to a line that served government st, LSU and Downtown.

While I agree with your cost savings idea, I do not believe a line from downtown Baton Rouge to the suburbs will ever generate enough ridership to justify the expensive of completing the line to Nola(Basically, ridership would be low, and the nimby's would come out in full force when someone proposes extending the line, just like the downtown library debate). However the demand for a line from Baton Rouge to Nola may already exist, if that makes sense.

Then my stance is that it's an ambitious goal that is not affordably attainable right now. If they can't do it in stages, then they will either pay the

Hefty price tag

for a complete high-speed rail that could be a financial failure or a 50% off price tag to provide a train line that a charter bus line could and has already done cheaper and almost as fast.

I could be completely off, but I would rather them be financially responsible and minimize their investments instead of betting the whole farm on a "three-of-a-kind."

To implement high speed rail we have to start in Increments.  A Line between San Francisco and Los Angeles.  A Line between Houston and Dallas.  A Line between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Etc.  Then as the lines get more ridership and bring in more revenue they can start to connect the lines.

In this day in age, High Speed Rail should be a priority.  This country is so behind in this field.  Today, no one is willing to spend the money understandably.  It may be better to do it now though while gas is still under 5$.  Once we reach that point everyone will be wishing we'd done it sooner.

To implement high speed rail we have to start in Increments.  A Line between San Francisco and Los Angeles.  A Line between Houston and Dallas.  A Line between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Etc.  Then as the lines get more ridership and bring in more revenue they can start to connect the lines.

In this day in age, High Speed Rail should be a priority.  This country is so behind in this field.  Today, no one is willing to spend the money understandably.  It may be better to do it now though while gas is still under 5$.  Once we reach that point everyone we'll be wishing we'd done it sooner.

Makes sense. So after a Dallas-Houston and NO-BR lines then a Houston-BR line?

Maybe they can start off with the cheaper, slower and less often line now and upgrade to hi-tech later (years), but I can't see paying a 1/4 million now then paying another 1/2 million later. It's the same thinking they are using with the possible Airline project. Building to catch up instead of to sustain.

Maybe they can start off with the cheaper, slower and less often line now and upgrade to hi-tech later (years), but I can't see paying a 1/4 million now then paying another 1/2 million later. It's the same thinking they are using with the possible Airline project. Building to catch up instead of to sustain.

They would probably build it like that, then shut it down saying how inefficient it was.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just a lot of money for very limited results. I read the article that said the streetcar group and the intercity rail group are after the same pot of money now. The guy quoted said the streetcar was more realistic. What do you all think about that? I think that if you had to invest in only one project now, the intercity rail would be used more because the planned projects on Nicholson haven't even broke ground yet. If that corridor were important CATS would have put a bus going through already.

It's just a lot of money for very limited results. I read the article that said the streetcar group and the intercity rail group are after the same pot of money now. The guy quoted said the streetcar was more realistic. What do you all think about that? I think that if you had to invest in only one project now, the intercity rail would be used more because the planned projects on Nicholson haven't even broke ground yet. If that corridor were important CATS would have put a bus going through already.

CATS just got their act barely together with this recent rollout of new routes. I don't know which I would go with, but I'm leaning on commuter rail. At the same time, Metro BR needs a regional transit authority of some sort.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for dropping by nquint1! What part of Virginia are you staying?  

A lot of obstacles...but looks like this thing is headed in right direction.  Maybe another 3-5 years from now?  I was not aware freight trains were only allowed 10mph over the spillway either...but guess that makes sense.

Thanks for dropping by nquint1! What part of Virginia are you staying?  

I'm in Fredericksburg doing regional transportation planning. I just started the job, but it's interesting seeing how projects get funded. It's a very political process.

• 1 year later...

Archived