ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite. The next ActiveSite event has already been talked about on a couple of different outlets.

From all the hinting going on in different corners, this thing will be pretty big news. Apparently it will be announced on or about April 23rd.

Not quite. The next ActiveSite event has already been talked about on a couple of different outlets.

From all the hinting going on in different corners, this thing will be pretty big news. Apparently it will be announced on or about April 23rd.

Maybe they'll redevelop Calder plaza with retail running up and down Monroe and a copy of the Calder sculpture in the Russell Senate building's Hart Atrium installed next to La Grand Vitesse. The black motif of the new "Mountains and Clouds" sculpture (without the clouds, because we have enough natural clouds in West Michigan) will blend in seamlessly with the existing city and county buildings and contrast with the current red color of "La Grande Vitesse". An additional diSuvero-style tire swing will be installed hanging from the sculpture to increase the lunchtime recreational opportunities for employees working in the buildings around Calder Plaza and for tourists/conventioneers shopping in the new retail buildings.

The city will also announce a new official logo and all of the street signs will need to be replaced.

25_00007.jpg

Am I close? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by fotoman311

Maybe they'll redevelop Calder plaza with retail running up and down Monroe and a copy of the Calder sculpture in the Russell Senate building's Hart Atrium installed next to La Grand Vitesse. The black motif of the new "Mountains and Clouds" sculpture (without the clouds, because we have enough natural clouds in West Michigan) will blend in seamlessly with the existing city and county buildings and contrast with the current red color of "La Grande Vitesse". An additional diSuvero-style tire swing will be installed hanging from the sculpture to increase the lunchtime recreational opportunities for employees working in the buildings around Calder Plaza and for tourists/conventioneers shopping in the new retail buildings.

The city will also announce a new official logo and all of the street signs will need to be replaced.

Am I close? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Personally, I think it's a business/development announcement that is "arts-focused". I guess we'll have to wait for the 23rd to find out.

Personally, I think it's a business/development announcement that is "arts-focused". I guess we'll have to wait for the 23rd to find out.

You mean like some sort of partnership that is art/design focused?

Perhaps something like this? http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Grand-Ra...ive-t39775.html

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

That is my Final Answer. *cues the dramatic Who Wants to Be a Millionaire music and spotlights to play until April 23rd when the true answer is revealed*

I'd go for something like that. In fact, I would love something like that. It's got my vote.

Edited by fotoman311

You mean like some sort of partnership that is art/design focused?

Perhaps something like this? http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Grand-Ra...ive-t39775.html

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

That is my Final Answer. *cues the dramatic Who Wants to Be a Millionaire music and spotlights to play until April 23rd when the true answer is revealed*

I'd go for something like that. In fact, I would love something like that. It's got my vote.

When I last talked to Richard it sounded like it passed through a lot of hands. The project might have reached the desk of someone who knew exactly what to do with it and when. Think Design West Michigan.

My original thought was along the lines of Dad's last comment. An 'arts' announcement may be anything, but I think it will be design-business-manufacturer centric. Maybe a consortium of sorts to move design ideas to market. Having specialized manufacturing talent is one thing, but coupling it with designers, manufacturers and problem solvers makes Grand Rapids a continued power player. Think of the synergy.

Based on other things, I think this could also be music related. Not Interscope!

Edited by Rizzo

When I last talked to Richard it sounded like it passed through a lot of hands. The project might have reached the desk of someone who knew exactly what to do with it and when. Think Design West Michigan.

My original thought was along the lines of Dad's last comment. An 'arts' announcement may be anything, but I think it will be design-business-manufacturer centric. Maybe a consortium of sorts to move design ideas to market. Having specialized manufacturing talent is one thing, but coupling it with designers, manufacturers and problem solvers makes Grand Rapids a continued power player. Think of the synergy.

Based on other things, I think this could also be music related. Not Interscope!

..or film related. I keep thinking about all the film tax credits being bandied about. And there have been announcements of film production studios opening in Lansing and Detroit, but nothing here yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Different Richard (Rick):

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...nders_gran.html

I think this explains why Spout (or what I think will be its new parent company) is getting new digs in the River City Bldg.

Major initiative that will affect the city of Grand Rapids for years to come:

According to the Grand Rapids Press something is going to happen this Thursday. Furthermore people were passing out postcards (see below) on Saturday during the Chalk Flood confirming that there was indeed going to be some sort of event on Thursday at 9 a.m. I haven't been able to find anything else out beyond what appears to be a link to a UStream account called "event-4-23-09 at 9am." The logo on the post card matches the Ustream profile setup so I'm assuming that this event is going to be streamed live. Anybody have any other information regarding this?

Grand Rapids Press Story:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...nders_gran.html

Ustream account:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/event-4-23-09-9am

up1.pngup2.png