ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Yea but if you go through the 50 monroe thread you can see pics of all the buildings details that were removed. It was just a shell....Would it become 2 seprate buildings again or stay one? I hear the worst problem with the building is the uneven floors from where they joined the 2 buildings together.

• 5 months later...

I like the news about Artprize, it's one of the biggest, if not the bigeest, sociial event in the city. Seems like it's deserving of "air-time" in a local newspaper/ TV channel.

ArtPrize chooses Charmin as their official toilet paper at ArtPrize headquarters. We'll check in with our reporters on the scene.

• Like 1

ArtPrize chooses Charmin as their official toilet paper at ArtPrize headquarters. We'll check in with our reporters on the scene.

That wouldn't be interesting at all, because Charmin has nothing to do with GR afaik.  The Founders news was exciting because they were replacing some international brand with a local one that's growing impressively.

• Like 1

That wouldn't be interesting at all, because Charmin has nothing to do with GR afaik.  The Founders news was exciting because they were replacing some international brand with a local one that's growing impressively.

"ArtPrize replaces Charmin with locally made recycled toilet paper. Film at 11:00."

But really, it was exciting? :) Never mind, I'm perpetuating it by bumping this thread.

I'm starting work on my ArtPrize entry.  It's going to be a gigantic canvas with a picture of the Grand River flooding and a multi-cultural mix of Grand Rapidians working together to fill and place sand bags along the shores.  I think I'll add an image of Gerald R. Ford beaming down from heaven as he stands next to Jesus.  The whole thing will be drawn in pencil, naturally.

It's a guaranteed winner!

• Like 1

I'm starting work on my ArtPrize entry.  It's going to be a gigantic canvas with a picture of the Grand River flooding and a multi-cultural mix of Grand Rapidians working together to fill and place sand bags along the shores.  I think I'll add an image of Gerald R. Ford beaming down from heaven as he stands next to Jesus.  The whole thing will be drawn in pencil, naturally.

It's a guaranteed winner!

Ill vote for you.

OMG, they got the new director from Withoutabox.com? I help out with a film festival here in GR that uses that site to gather film student entries and they are the WORST SITE EVER. Unfortunately they're the only website of their kind so they kind of have you by the bells.

• 1 year later...

A few impressions of this year's event:

--Looks like the bloom is off the rose as far as several venues go. The Public Museum ceased its interior art a couple of years ago, and this year the Y has joined in. Management probably took a look at the increased traffic and lack of any real benefit, said see ya.

--OTOH, it appears some restaurants and drinkeries have raised their prices.

--Need more stuff in the river.

--The "big stuff made from smaller stuff" fad seems to have popped.

--City Market is a very nice venue with light traffic (admittedly on a weekday). Hadn't visited since the grand opening; it reminds me of similar markets in other cities, and I sure hope it gets more footprints in tthe door.

--Finally the event has embraced two-wheeled non-motorized transportation. But who decided it's a good idea to place bicycle racks along remote walls and other unnoticed locations? Not impressed. The temporary one out front of the Ledyard building uses a whole parking space, needs more traffic cones.

--The Rapid's 2 wristbands/$5/all you can ride during A/P needs more zing. Today, as a volunteer, I explained this concept to a woman from Byron Center. Suggested parking at a Meijer. Or using the Silver Line. She had never before used a paid parking lot, it seems.

--Arriving at a certain radical church venue tonight, exiting the building were...Dick and Betsy DV.

Edited by Veloise

A few impressions of this year's event:

--Looks like the bloom is off the rose as far as several venues go. The Public Museum ceased its interior art a couple of years ago, and this year the Y has joined in. Management probably took a look at the increased traffic and lack of any real benefit, said see ya.

--OTOH, it appears some restaurants and drinkeries have raised their prices.

--Need more stuff in the river.

--The "big stuff made from smaller stuff" fad seems to have popped.

--City Market is a very nice venue with light traffic (admittedly on a weekday). Hadn't visited since the grand opening; it reminds me of similar markets in other cities, and I sure hope it gets more footprints in tthe door.

--Finally the event has embraced two-wheeled non-motorized transportation. But who decided it's a good idea to place bicycle racks along remote walls and other unnoticed locations? Not impressed. The temporary one out front of the Ledyard building uses a whole parking space, needs more traffic cones.

--The Rapid's 2 wristbands/$5/all you can ride during A/P needs more zing. Today, as a volunteer, I explained this concept to a woman from Byron Center. Suggested parking at a Meijer. Or using the Silver Line. She had never before used a paid parking lot, it seems.

--Arriving at a certain radical church venue tonight, exiting the building were...Dick and Betsy DV.

WMCAT dropped out of it because it was costing them about $30 - $40,000 to host ArtPrize with no money coming in. GVSU dropped out after the first year because they were spending a ton and seeing no return.

UICA spends about $40,000 a year to be an exhibition center, with no income to offset that other than trinket sales in the gift shop. No telling what GRAM spends, but I'd imagine it's in the $150,000 range with no revenue coming in (membership probably jumps 7%).

No way that UICA or GRAM could pull out of AP with the Devos on the boards. Restaurants and bars do fine because they stay open all those hours anyway and just make the artists hang their own stuff. Amway Grand and JW can handle it because they're at capacity. So.. there you go.

You guys are lucky that I share this with you. :) I'll probably delete this by morning.

Don't worry. You can't delete anything on the internet.

http://imgur.com/ZuSbSM5

All I want to know is what radical church Velosie is talking about. Is it those crazy Catholics? Or the Buddhists?

I think she means Fountain Street Church.

I know that, but you can certainly make it harder to find. :)

I think there should be a category for best pandering entry.  In this category you'd find the Gerald R. Ford pieces, the religious pieces, the West Michigan pieces (dunes, Lake Michigan, etc.).  This would reward those artists who astutely tailor their pieces to best appeal to the proletariat of West Michigan to gain their votes.

For example, an artist enters a mosaic piece of, say, a woman their first year and gets some praise but wins nothing.  The next year they return with a big ol' mosaic of a radiant Jesus and the cross and wham bam thank you mam they walk away with a big check.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Edited by wingbert