GRDadof3

ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

So ArtPrize is starting in a few weeks. Wonder if their expansion into Dallas next Spring will have any affect on this year's attendance here in GR this Fall? 

So ArtPrize is starting in a few weeks. Wonder if their expansion into Dallas next Spring will have any affect on this year's attendance here in GR this Fall? 

Would Burning Man still be the event it is if they went and started having Burning Mans all over the country?  Would Bonnaroo still be Bonnaroo and not just another music festival if they had Bonnaroos somewhere closer to your home instead of  having to travel to Tennessee?  Would a Rolls Royce Phantom be so special if it cost $18,000?

What some might call brand extension, others would call brand dilution.  

I guess we'll see what happens to ArtPrize - A once-a-year special event or just another commodity art exhibition.

Most of the artists in ArtPrize are regional.  Yes some are from further away and international but the majority are local.  I don't think that Dallas can be as big as Grand Rapids, not many cities have the luck we do with city cooperation and the backers of money and venues.   If Dallas happened it will be Local and will depend on how the local money funds it.  

I can see Dallas as being a "mini" ArtPrize.  Its not diluting anything.  At least not for the first few years.

Would Burning Man still be the event it is if they went and started having Burning Mans all over the country?  Would Bonnaroo still be Bonnaroo and not just another music festival if they had Bonnaroos somewhere closer to your home instead of  having to travel to Tennessee?  Would a Rolls Royce Phantom be so special if it cost $18,000?

What some might call brand extension, others would call brand dilution.  

I guess we'll see what happens to ArtPrize - A once-a-year special event or just another commodity art exhibition.

You can't compare ArtPrize to Burning Man or Bonnaroo. Those two events are about as non-regional as you can get (no one even lives in the desert where Burning Man takes place). ArtPrize is almost completely regional. Though it does get "some" visitors and artists from out of the area, most of the visitors are from within an hour's drive (otherwise where would 200,000 people stay? There's nowhere near that many hotel rooms in the entire metro). 

So really all you have to do is survey the 200,000 mostly West Michiganders at ArtPrize if they plan to go to Dallas' ArtPrize next Spring. Most will probably have forgotten that it was even announced. I'll even do a man-on-the-street to prove it. :) 

You can't compare ArtPrize to Burning Man or Bonnaroo. Those two events are about as non-regional as you can get (no one even lives in the desert where Burning Man takes place). ArtPrize is almost completely regional. Though it does get "some" visitors and artists from out of the area, most of the visitors are from within an hour's drive (otherwise where would 200,000 people stay? There's nowhere near that many hotel rooms in the entire metro). 

So really all you have to do is survey the 200,000 mostly West Michiganders at ArtPrize if they plan to go to Dallas' ArtPrize next Spring. Most will probably have forgotten that it was even announced. I'll even do a man-on-the-street to prove it. :) 

Look at that, you answered your own question!

On 8/29/2015 9:01:41, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting. It does take a lot of money to pull off ArtPrize, probably more there than here. I wonder if the art elite in Dallas visited ArtPrize and were afraid that they too would attract a lot of populist craft-type art, instead of high-brow international artists. Like anything else, 20% of the people in a field create 80% of the (good) work. Art is no different. The remaining 80% are mediocre at best. Considering how much AP Grand Rapids artists play up the Michigan pride factor to attract votes, I imagine the Texas artists playing up a bunch of Texas symbology to attract votes (giant stars, cowboy hats, cattle, oil wells, Dallas Cowboys, Jesus, more Jesus, etc.). That's probably what the Dallas organizers realized and were afraid of. 

I guess I'll have to bag my video project... :)

Edited by GRDadof3

Having lived for 8 months in very rural east Texas, the pride factor would have been uncontrollable. Major corporations from DQ to Walmart have special Texas logos and signage, every overpass has a symbol of geographic significance set in the concrete (something I wish we did here; stars in Dallas, Roses in Tyler, oil rigs in Houston, etc.) You know when you are in Texas.

Where I lived the whole town shut down on Friday nights and Sunday mornings and you don't dare question it. Dallas is far different and more liberal comparatively then where I lived, but the paradigm lingers.

I think Artprize was just too far out of the box. 

Like anything else, 20% of the people in a field create 80% of the (good) work. Art is no different. The remaining 80% are mediocre at best.

This is best summed up in Sturgeon's Law: "Ninety percent of everything is crap."

• Like 1

Dallas is the most uptight and stay inside the box of the Big Four Texas Metros IMO (and many others).  Dallas is the place that people move to (in huge numbers) for a corporate job and a nice house in the suburbs.   Art Prize won't fit inside a proper museum which makes it a bad fit for Dallas.  If Art Prize wanted to make a splash in Texas, Austin, San Antonio or Houston would have been a better fit.  IMO someplace that was not one of the Big Four, like Galveston for example, would have been a much better choice.  Even Dallas's little brother Fort Worth would probably be a good place for Art Prize.

Edited by The ATX

Dallas is the most uptight and stay inside the box of the Big Four Texas Metros IMO (and many others).  Dallas is the place that people move to (in huge numbers) for a corporate job and a nice house in the suburbs.   Art Prize won't fit inside a proper museum which makes it a bad fit for Dallas.  If Art Prize wanted to make a splash in Texas, Austin, San Antonio or Houston would have been a better fit.  IMO someplace that was not one of the Big Four, like Galveston for example, would have been a much better choice.  Even Dallas's little brother Fort Worth would probably be a good place for Art Prize.

Apparently a lot of cities ask to host their own ArtPrize, but never follow up. Dallas was adamant that they wanted one and vowed to raise the funds to put it together.

Well what am I supposed to do with the 30 ft. by 30 ft. afghan I knitted with an image of Jesus bursting out of an oil well and smiling his radiance down on the Alamo?

• Like 1

Well what am I supposed to do with the 30 ft. by 30 ft. afghan I knitted with an image of Jesus bursting out of an oil well and smiling his radiance down on the Alamo?

Nice.  But to be fair Dallas is too hoighty-toighty for that.  Better save that afghan for any arts & craft show in rural East Texas.  It's too big for a trailer - even a double-wide.  But I'm sure it could be cut to fit.

• Like 1

Nice.  But to be fair Dallas is too hoighty-toighty for that.  Better save that afghan for any arts & craft show in rural East Texas.  It's too big for a trailer - even a double-wide.  But I'm sure it could be cut to fit.

Well the city might be hoighty toighty, but like much of a America, it's swathed in thousands of miles of overly conservative suburbs. And the artists would come from all over Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma..

It's not happening anyway, so I guess the point is moot.

I actually started out no liking AP this year, or thought it was severely lacking in outdoor pieces for sure, but ended up liking it better than the last couple of years.

Edited by GRDadof3

I still wish they would move away from the classic square boundaries of the competition.

There is just too much of the west side, Medical Mile, and N. Monroe that are part of it, when there are too few visitors or are just too much of a pain to get to.

If they got a little creative with the boundaries and worked them around places where people are known to walk around at all times of the day all year long, there would be many more opportunities for artists to get more exposure. It will also benefit local businesses that might get some needed foot traffic. It will also spread out the crowds, and save many people the need to have to pile into one area because that's where all of the "good stuff" is.

map.thumb.jpg.c1faf7a968df64979630387ad2

Why not Uptown, John Ball Zoo+W. Fulton, Gaslight Village and Reeds Lake? Keep the Meijer Gardens in as well. I forgot to mark in the New Holland area on Bridge St., but include that as well.

• Like 3

I really like the idea of changing the boundaries to include more neighborhoods. I'd extend that to change the boundaries every year to feature different parts of the city. They dabbled into this with the Grandville neighborhood satellite last year.

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I still wish they would move away from the classic square boundaries of the competition.

There is just too much of the west side, Medical Mile, and N. Monroe that are part of it, when there are too few visitors or are just too much of a pain to get to.

If they got a little creative with the boundaries and worked them around places where people are known to walk around at all times of the day all year long, there would be many more opportunities for artists to get more exposure. It will also benefit local businesses that might get some needed foot traffic. It will also spread out the crowds, and save many people the need to have to pile into one area because that's where all of the "good stuff" is.

(Map)

Why not Uptown, John Ball Zoo+W. Fulton, Gaslight Village and Reeds Lake? Keep the Meijer Gardens in as well. I forgot to mark in the New Holland area on Bridge St., but include that as well.

I love these boundaries!  But it doesn't solve the problem that people will tend to crowd around Center City regardless, and artists will continue to vie for precious venue space there.

I still like my idea from 2009.  Take your map, divide it into regions, and regional winners will have a chance to compete in the finals on a more equal footing.

I think the boundaries should be smaller, no more than a mile from the corner of Ottawa and Monroe Center. That's as far as 95% of the attendees go anyway. 

I thought it was interesting to see that Switch is a leadership sponsor for ArtPrize.....That's a minimum sponsorship of $100k.

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 4