ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

I mentioned somewhere else that I wasn't sure if it was just me but that I wasn't feeling the buzz about ArtPrize this year like I have in years past.  Did AP jump the shark with their attempt to expand to Texas and all that hooha?  I suppose the crowds will be the best indication.  Here's hoping all is still well.  I think it's a great event.

It honestly doesn't "feel" the same.  I  do see that the number of entries is down slightly, and big player such as Site Lab are not in it this time. Of course the BOB can no longer host a parking lot of entries either. The competition could be going through an awkward middle period where it has to start a 2nd act because things have become too predictable. I see that the new construction will actually renew things because we will have so many new potential venues to replace some old favorites or ones where they just arent interested in participating.

I'm sure it will still draw people in, but DT is now doing that all on its own all year, so maybe we just can no longer notice the crowds because it's kind of always like this now?

4 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It honestly doesn't "feel" the same.  I  do see that the number of entries is down slightly, and big player such as Site Lab are not in it this time. Of course the BOB can no longer host a parking lot of entries either. The competition could be going through an awkward middle period where it has to start a 2nd act because things have become too predictable. I see that the new construction will actually renew things because we will have so many new potential venues to replace some old favorites or ones where they just arent interested in participating.

I'm sure it will still draw people in, but DT is now doing that all on its own all year, so maybe we just can no longer notice the crowds because it's kind of always like this now?

Whatchu talkin bout? Site.Lab is part of ArtPrize this year. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/280889585727964/

I think it could go from 500,000 to 250,000 visitors and the average layperson or even UrbanPlaneteer wouldn't notice.  In fact, who actually counts all those attendees? The Ford Museum traditionally sees the most visitors every year and they got around 200,000 last year. I think GRAM gets 100 - 150,000 depending on how many finalists they have. 

But seriously, downtown is NOTICEABLY busier when AP is going on, by a long shot. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Site:Lab isn't a real venue this year. They are throwing a couple of parties but will be back as an official venue next year. 

I saw a lot of setup going on today. With the warm weather forecasted this weekend, I bet it'll be crazy downtown. 

Joe

Oh you're right Joe. I kept getting Facebook notices from them so I assumed (incorrectly) that they were a venue again this year. Shame on me for not reading FB event invites. :)

• Like 1

One thing that has changed in the last few years is Mlive's coverage of the event. They used to be a "media partner" and would run non stop articles for weeks before ArtPrize, during ArtPrize, after ArtPrize. One year I counted 48 articles/slideshows/pieces before ArtPrize had even begun! (and I think I called them out on it). 

Now:

http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids/

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

One thing that has changed in the last few years is Mlive's coverage of the event. They used to be a "media partner" and would run non stop articles for weeks before ArtPrize, during ArtPrize, after ArtPrize. One year I counted 48 articles/slideshows/pieces before ArtPrize had even begun! (and I think I called them out on it). 

Now:

http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids/

I did notice the incredible lack of coverage from the  Press, but they still are the "Official Provider of the 2017 ArtPrize Event Guide."   I understand that's not the same as a media sponsor, but they are the local paper.  I personally would prefer over the top coverage that absolutely no coverage.   I'm coming in this weekend, and believe it or not still rely on Mlive for info on whats going on.   

8 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I did notice the incredible lack of coverage from the  Press, but they still are the "Official Provider of the 2017 ArtPrize Event Guide."   I understand that's not the same as a media sponsor, but they are the local paper.  I personally would prefer over the top coverage that absolutely no coverage.   I'm coming in this weekend, and believe it or not still rely on Mlive for info on whats going on.   

There's obviously a fine line. I think their coverage now is fine, but when they were full-blown covering the event ad nauseum, they were essentially acting as  free marketing arm of the event, providing $Millions in free publicity. And at the expense of covering other news and at the expense of not covering other events in the community. Their first role in the community is to be a news and journalism outlet (one of the few left). That used to be their role anyway. 

4 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

The old city water building on Monroe and Coldbrook is being curated by Richard App and is also hosting a food truck carnival/rally thingy that looks promising. I wonder with the warm weather, developments and the improvements to the river path if Monroe  North will be bumping.

MSU has jumped into it already this year. There's a man in a birdcage (sculpture) and a couple of other outdoor installations. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 1:21 PM, thebeerqueer said:

The old city water building on Monroe and Coldbrook is being curated by Richard App and is also hosting a food truck carnival/rally thingy that looks promising. I wonder with the warm weather, developments and the improvements to the river path if Monroe  North will be bumping.

Also, check out Monroe Community Church right by 820 Monroe. They always do a nice job because they actually have design professionals do the curating, and the works are from a diverse array of artists. A friend of mine is exhibiting there this year. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Also, check out Monroe Community Church right by 820 Monroe. They always do a nice job because they actually have design professionals do the curating, and the works are from a diverse array of artists. A friend of mine is exhibiting there this year. ;)

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out this weekend. 

I wonder how busy AP will be this weekend with the heat? Record crowds or slow? On the news yesterday it was reported that votes per hour were higher than any other year so far. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out this weekend. 

I wonder how busy AP will be this weekend with the heat? Record crowds or slow? On the news yesterday it was reported that votes per hour were higher than any other year so far. 

Well, count my family of 4 in!  Coming from Chicago to help bolster the GR economy by buying food, gas, ice cream,  maybe a t-shirt, and of course beer!  Luckily lodging is free. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

FYI ... the taplist at Founders is especially on point right now. 

I picked up a pack of the Green Zebra at the local Binny's last weekend.   I was enjoying it before dinner last night, and said to the wife and kids, "I'm already enjoying  a little bit of ArtPrize!"    It's pretty tasty, IMO. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I picked up a pack of the Green Zebra at the local Binny's last weekend.   I was enjoying it before dinner last night, and said to the wife and kids, "I'm already enjoying  a little bit of ArtPrize!"    It's pretty tasty, IMO. 

I think they nailed the flavor profile with the Green Zebra. My only complaint is that it wasn't available all summer long for BBQs, beach days, pool parties, etc ... 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/artprize_changing_to_every_oth.html

Art Prize changing to every other year?  Odd years will have some kind of community art project put on by artist/s .  Even years will be Art Prize.  Is this a reaction waning interest/declining attendance.  I actually don't know if attendance has declined I've never looked at the numbers.  Good/Bad move?  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MJLO said:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/artprize_changing_to_every_oth.html

Art Prize changing to every other year?  Odd years will have some kind of community art project put on by artist/s .  Even years will be Art Prize.  Is this a reaction waning interest/declining attendance.  I actually don't know if attendance has declined I've never looked at the numbers.  Good/Bad move?  

I think to get "good" artists every year is a big challenge.  But the whole thing seems a bit strange to me. 

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it could be pretty smart moving it to a 2 year cycle to maintain interest. Does anyone know if the goal of Project 1 is to create a permanent art piece? That would actually be pretty fantastic if the city got a new art installation every 2 years. 

Joe

The way that Rick or Kevin were talking about it made it seem like it was temporary over a 6 week period. 

When I saw the news pop up on my phone yesterday, my first thought was artist participation must be declining.  I just ran through the numbers on Wikipedia, and sure enough, the attendance (est) has continued to climb each year, but 2017 had the lowest artist participation rate since year 1.  I suspect this year will be even lower than last, which would prompt such a move.