GRDadof3

ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

On 9/19/2017 at 1:21 PM, thebeerqueer said:

The old city water building on Monroe and Coldbrook is being curated by Richard App and is also hosting a food truck carnival/rally thingy that looks promising. I wonder with the warm weather, developments and the improvements to the river path if Monroe  North will be bumping.

Also, check out Monroe Community Church right by 820 Monroe. They always do a nice job because they actually have design professionals do the curating, and the works are from a diverse array of artists. A friend of mine is exhibiting there this year. ;)

• Like 1

I do yoga at an art studio in Creston and it's also a venue.  Still not sure how I feel about doing yoga with Art Prize voters walking around haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Also, check out Monroe Community Church right by 820 Monroe. They always do a nice job because they actually have design professionals do the curating, and the works are from a diverse array of artists. A friend of mine is exhibiting there this year. ;)

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out this weekend. 

I wonder how busy AP will be this weekend with the heat? Record crowds or slow? On the news yesterday it was reported that votes per hour were higher than any other year so far. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out this weekend. 

I wonder how busy AP will be this weekend with the heat? Record crowds or slow? On the news yesterday it was reported that votes per hour were higher than any other year so far. 

Well, count my family of 4 in!  Coming from Chicago to help bolster the GR economy by buying food, gas, ice cream,  maybe a t-shirt, and of course beer!  Luckily lodging is free. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Well, count my family of 4 in!  Coming from Chicago to help bolster the GR economy by buying food, gas, ice cream,  maybe a t-shirt, and of course beer!  Luckily lodging is free. 

FYI ... the taplist at Founders is especially on point right now. 

2 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

FYI ... the taplist at Founders is especially on point right now. 

I picked up a pack of the Green Zebra at the local Binny's last weekend.   I was enjoying it before dinner last night, and said to the wife and kids, "I'm already enjoying  a little bit of ArtPrize!"    It's pretty tasty, IMO. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I picked up a pack of the Green Zebra at the local Binny's last weekend.   I was enjoying it before dinner last night, and said to the wife and kids, "I'm already enjoying  a little bit of ArtPrize!"    It's pretty tasty, IMO. 

I think they nailed the flavor profile with the Green Zebra. My only complaint is that it wasn't available all summer long for BBQs, beach days, pool parties, etc ... 

• Like 3

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/artprize_changing_to_every_oth.html

Art Prize changing to every other year?  Odd years will have some kind of community art project put on by artist/s .  Even years will be Art Prize.  Is this a reaction waning interest/declining attendance.  I actually don't know if attendance has declined I've never looked at the numbers.  Good/Bad move?  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MJLO said:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/artprize_changing_to_every_oth.html

Art Prize changing to every other year?  Odd years will have some kind of community art project put on by artist/s .  Even years will be Art Prize.  Is this a reaction waning interest/declining attendance.  I actually don't know if attendance has declined I've never looked at the numbers.  Good/Bad move?  

I think to get "good" artists every year is a big challenge.  But the whole thing seems a bit strange to me. 

I think it could be pretty smart moving it to a 2 year cycle to maintain interest. Does anyone know if the goal of Project 1 is to create a permanent art piece? That would actually be pretty fantastic if the city got a new art installation every 2 years. 

Joe

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it could be pretty smart moving it to a 2 year cycle to maintain interest. Does anyone know if the goal of Project 1 is to create a permanent art piece? That would actually be pretty fantastic if the city got a new art installation every 2 years. 

Joe

The way that Rick or Kevin were talking about it made it seem like it was temporary over a 6 week period. 

When I saw the news pop up on my phone yesterday, my first thought was artist participation must be declining.  I just ran through the numbers on Wikipedia, and sure enough, the attendance (est) has continued to climb each year, but 2017 had the lowest artist participation rate since year 1.  I suspect this year will be even lower than last, which would prompt such a move. 

50 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

When I saw the news pop up on my phone yesterday, my first thought was artist participation must be declining.  I just ran through the numbers on Wikipedia, and sure enough, the attendance (est) has continued to climb each year, but 2017 had the lowest artist participation rate since year 1.  I suspect this year will be even lower than last, which would prompt such a move. 

It's expensive and a lot of work for artists to participate, and while some artists sell some of their work during AP, many do not. Plus I think there's a lot of frustration with a lot of artists that if you're not in a high traffic venue, you have no way of winning or even being seen. And the high traffic venues highly curate the artists they'll allow at their venues. It's certainly not a lottery, which actually might make it more fun. :)

My favorite is always Site:Lab so hopefully they'll continue to do an annual show. 

• Like 2

Any event like this usually needs to change over time to keep the energy and life in it. 10 years of basically the same format was starting to get predictable.  Im glad they are mixing it up and essentially creating 2 events instead of one.  While at the same time recalling history in a way that could be interesting.

https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/09/sculpture_off_the_pedestal_remembered.html

• Like 2

I wish this was the setup since the first year. The news is definitely going to sting a lot of people and businesses in the wallet. AP is like a Black Friday for a lot of establishments, and was what took over from Celebration on the Grand as the end of summer festival.

I think it will work out in the end. People honestly knew that it was starting to become a bit threadbare anyway. Last year was nothing like the first 4.

Sure, attendance was up, but the art was starting to drop off in terms of ambition. If they didnt act now then it would start to affect attendance numbers, and then they would be in real trouble.

I just hope they do something really spectacular on the off years. Not just some Site:Lab  deal, but something that will WOW people.

• Like 3

For off years it should get away from something that could be perceived as the discount version of ArtPrize.  Do something else that could be alternated every two years.  BeerPrize?

The in-between reminds me of, a couple years before ArtPrize, Downtown was filled with those one sculptures of the people with sphere heads... one of them is still on display at the Meijer Gardens. I rather miss that, although it should be something more interest-catching to draw more people in than that did.

17 hours ago, tSlater said:

The in-between reminds me of, a couple years before ArtPrize, Downtown was filled with those one sculptures of the people with sphere heads... one of them is still on display at the Meijer Gardens. I rather miss that, although it should be something more interest-catching to draw more people in than that did.

Yes, that was Tom Otterness:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ZKTG_enUS782US782&biw=1536&bih=710&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=YGQuW6jUHIbSsAWzjrL4Aw&q=otterness+sculptures+grand+rapids&oq=otterness+sculptures+grand+rapids&gs_l=img.3...6735.7892.0.8031.13.8.0.0.0.0.224.385.0j1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.img..11.0.0....0.TE40KuyfDvU

I agree, something similar to that or even larger scale from one artist would be great for a change. 

• Like 2

Did they ever eliminate the rule that if you have won in the past, you can't win again? I thought that was a good way to discourage any successful artist from wanting to participate. 

8 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Did they ever eliminate the rule that if you have won in the past, you can't win again? I thought that was a good way to discourage any successful artist from wanting to participate. 

That rule was introduced in 2016, so after almost all of the ArtPrizes. I think what you may be referring to is the rule which states that the piece has to of been completed in the prior three years. That is what found "The Dragon" to be disqualified in 2012. 

Also, I don't think the rule for repeat winners would discourage any logical artist as there is really only a pool of 8 people who cannot participate (one artist has won twice). 

I have to say I'm getting pretty excited to hear more details behind Project 1 in 2019. I've really felt a bit disenchanted with AP the last couple of years. 

Project 1 will be all outdoor work on a pretty large scale, 3 - 5 commissioned artists, and will go longer than ArtPrize normally runs.

There's no voting, no grand prize, and unlike ArtPrize, which features thousands of entries ranging from small paintings to large sculptures, Project 1 will consist of a series of bold, expansive outdoor exhibits requiring significant time and resources to create, Buist said.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/11/artprize_unveils_project_1_det.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grandrapidspress_sf

https://www.experiencegr.com/articles/post/project-1-by-artprize-is-coming-to-grand-rapids-sept-7-oct-27-2019/

Wonder if any of the work will stick around permanently? 

• Like 3

Also, I really like the idea of some of the installations being a little outside of the downtown core. There are great spaces in the neighborhoods that could host some large scale pieces. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I hope so. If the city is really committed to being an Art Destination, it could do wonders to have some interesting, large scale art installations.

I liked when ArtPrize originally wanted to keep grand prize winner. I felt like it was building an art legacy. I hope they revisit this with Project 1, they keep several pieces each time. It would definitely help Grand Rapids in the public arts area.

Joe

• Like 1