ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

And on that same note, there are a lot of venues that have not got their info or pictures up. We're contacting--and have been contacting--both artists and venues to remind them to get their information up on the site, but please help us spread the word.

And if you work at Design Plus, high five from me

Paul Moore from ArtPrize

Thanks for the High Five Paul! We're sitting down tomorrow to go over the 10 or so artists that have already contacted us to be hosted at D+ and see if any appeal to us. Its definitely been an interesting process and we're looking forward to everything that is still to come!

Edited by jbr12

And on that same note, there are a lot of venues that have not got their info or pictures up. We're contacting--and have been contacting--both artists and venues to remind them to get their information up on the site, but please help us spread the word.

And if you work at Design Plus, high five from me

Paul Moore from ArtPrize

Wow, they did do a great job! Can venues win a prize? :shades:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, Urban Planeteers, what are *you* doing to support/promote/utilize/protest ArtPrize? As a GR enthusiast, I'm on my employer's ArtPrize committee planning special events, and I'm thinking about being a host for an artist.

However, I have to admit, when I look at the 300 artists, about 50% seem like they are from Michigan. Hopefully this gets a little more international (or even national). . .

Regardless, I'm very excited to show off our lovely city to any and all tourists. :) I hope it is a big success, and will do all I can (short of skipping work!) to support it.

PS- if any of you marketers/business owners need a line on some ArtPrize gallery sponsorship, I happen to know some venues that are looking. PM me for more info.

OK, Urban Planeteers, what are *you* doing to support/promote/utilize/protest ArtPrize?

Because most of the businesses on Wealthy St. are outside of the boundary and have been rejected as venues, I have been working with a group of people in the neighborhood to do a complimentary event--Art Peers.

http://artpeers.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Rapids...rs/106769629840

https://twitter.com/artpeers

http://www.urbanpharm.com/blog/?p=2440

OK, Urban Planeteers, what are *you* doing to support/promote/utilize/protest ArtPrize? As a GR enthusiast, I'm on my employer's ArtPrize committee planning special events, and I'm thinking about being a host for an artist.

However, I have to admit, when I look at the 300 artists, about 50% seem like they are from Michigan. Hopefully this gets a little more international (or even national). . .

Regardless, I'm very excited to show off our lovely city to any and all tourists. :) I hope it is a big success, and will do all I can (short of skipping work!) to support it.

PS- if any of you marketers/business owners need a line on some ArtPrize gallery sponsorship, I happen to know some venues that are looking. PM me for more info.

I'm volunteering to work one of the venues. Are there actually people still protesting?

I've been heavily involved with helping my employer get set up as a venue and have filled out the ArtPrize Volunteer form. Very much looking forward to this thing getting kicked off! I agree it seems there will be a lot of artists from West Michigan, but I bet a lot of people outside of the regions are skeptical of the competition. I am confident this thing will grow by leaps and bounds in the next couple of years!

I've been heavily involved with helping my employer get set up as a venue and have filled out the ArtPrize Volunteer form. Very much looking forward to this thing getting kicked off! I agree it seems there will be a lot of artists from West Michigan, but I bet a lot of people outside of the regions are skeptical of the competition. I am confident this thing will grow by leaps and bounds in the next couple of years!

Well let's assume for a minute that 700 - 800 artists are in the final contest (the count seems to be leaping by 50 artists every couple of days now as matchups are going through). If 400 of them are "non-local", when was the last time we had 400 artists from around the world exhibit in Grand Rapids? All at the same time? Showing off custom made work?

In other words, I'm agreeing with you. :) And subsequent years will be even bigger, in my estimation, as words (and images) spread.

This Artprize is going to be totally awesome. It is going to be so cool to walk around Grand Rapids looking at all kinds of art and voting on pieces that impress you. Not to mention seeing people from around the globe here. I'm sure my camera with be getting a lot of use as usual, lol. I sure hope it becomes an annual event.

According to the Grand Rapids Press registered artists have until August 15th to sign a venue agreement:

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-r...e_expected.html

We could have over 800 art displays to vote on. This is one totally awesome event!

~John

I can't wait to see how ArtPrize is going to pepper the city with events, how they'll map it, how they'll run the voting, etc. It will be great fun to see the transformation in the city!!!

I volunteered my place, but haven't had many hits yet (despite being 0 miles from ArtPrize); probably because I can't guarantee transportation or parking. Oh, well, hopefully something will work out. :)

I know the UICA is looking for gallery sponsors- PM me and I can send you the gallery sponsorship package, it's a pretty sweet deal. One of my favorite artists is there, so I'll be sure to stop by several times!

Perhaps ArtPeers can collectively sponsor a gallery there? I'm really just looking for an excuse to throw ArtPrize-related parties around the area during the contest. . . :)

Or else the ArtPeers or UrbanPlanet could have an ArtPrize barcrawl. . . . :alc:

Edited by Parhelion

Perhaps ArtPeers can collectively sponsor a gallery there? I'm really just looking for an excuse to throw ArtPrize-related parties around the area during the contest. . . :)

Or else the ArtPeers or UrbanPlanet could have an ArtPrize barcrawl. . . . :alc:

Oh...there will be celebrating :alc:

The article from Saturday makes it seem like there may be some artists without venues, so hopefully you get some buzz for your space soon.

ArtPeers is gaining momentum now. Anybody interested in getting involved can swing by the Sparrows tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5 pm for a short meeting.