ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Well let's assume for a minute that 700 - 800 artists are in the final contest (the count seems to be leaping by 50 artists every couple of days now as matchups are going through). If 400 of them are "non-local", when was the last time we had 400 artists from around the world exhibit in Grand Rapids? All at the same time? Showing off custom made work?

In other words, I'm agreeing with you. :) And subsequent years will be even bigger, in my estimation, as words (and images) spread.

700th artist matched with venue

Check out the monster that will be swimming in the Grand River (sneak peek in this TV 17 segment)

http://www.fox17online.com/videobeta/watch...8c-d51d3d70b17e

Hey, I used to work with the DEQ.

Did a little searching...here is the complete application. It was filed by Favorite City on behalf of three art projects.

Fascinating reading; I can just see the applicant trying to not crack up while typing, "taking into consideration the water current and depth of the river at the point of interest, the piece would be anchored to the bed of the river and tethered to the bridge pylon to keep it (the monster) stable and secure." (I am not making this up. See page 12.)

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/lwmpnh-data/09410084pn.pdf

And if you are so inclined, here is a link to the public comment form.

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/lwmpnh/commentf...10084&at=pn

Edited by Veloise

This is fantastic! Thanks for posting the application, Veloise...totally psyched to see our very own Nessy! It's little leaks like this that will help get people excited and interested to see what else Art Prize artists have planned for our fair city! Bring on the art!

*fish

There is a new sculpture at the corner of College and Cherry in front of the castle. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with Art Prize? I'm just wondering if some of the entries will be installed prior to the actual event.

Yep.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...t&p=1083120

I would imagine that some of the larger installations will have to take place at least a couple of days prior to the beginning of ArtPrize.

By the time this gets read by most of you, it will probably have jumped another 50 - 100, but ArtPrize has 856 connected artists to venues! How in the world is the public going to view all the works by 1000 artists??? I'm thinking Nessie in the Grand might win just by exposure alone. :P

Actually, I think word of mouth via social media will drive people to the most astounding works.

Matching closes this Saturday the 15th.

By the time this gets read by most of you, it will probably have jumped another 50 - 100, but ArtPrize has 856 connected artists to venues! How in the world is the public going to view all the works by 1000 artists??? I'm thinking Nessie in the Grand might win just by exposure alone. :P

Actually, I think word of mouth via social media will drive people to the most astounding works.

Matching closes this Saturday the 15th.

Haha, they should create a matched artist widget that people can put in their facebook/blogs/etc that would display the most current number whenever it is refreshed. Then everyone could easily find out the current number.

Haha, they should create a matched artist widget that people can put in their facebook/blogs/etc that would display the most current number whenever it is refreshed. Then everyone could easily find out the current number.

No kidding. Like those tickers in Times Square.

No kidding. Like those tickers in Times Square.

865!

You are only viewing artists that have secured a venue.

Your search returned 865 results.

EDIT:

866!

What a difference 3 minutes makes. :)

You are only viewing artists that have secured a venue.

Your search returned 866 results.

Edited by fotoman311

I'm really excited for ArtPrize and just had to share a little something about the artist and venue that my company is supporting...

Sarah-Grant-Art_large.jpg

It's called ""The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art" and it's by artist Sarah Grant and her company Sticks. Fox 17 did a little feature on the construction of the piece.

Fox 17 Coverage of ArtPrize

If you want to read about the construction, visit Concept Design Group - ArtPrize

And, my company is planning a scavenger hunt for employees during ArtPrize so they can get out and explore the art. I hope that other business around the area really encourage the people of Grand Rapids to take advantage of ArtPrize.

I'm really excited for ArtPrize and just had to share a little something about the artist and venue that my company is supporting...

Sarah-Grant-Art_large.jpg

It's called ""The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art" and it's by artist Sarah Grant and her company Sticks. Fox 17 did a little feature on the construction of the piece.

Fox 17 Coverage of ArtPrize

If you want to read about the construction, visit Concept Design Group - ArtPrize

And, my company is planning a scavenger hunt for employees during ArtPrize so they can get out and explore the art. I hope that other business around the area really encourage the people of Grand Rapids to take advantage of ArtPrize.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! :shades: Win or lose, it will be an awesome entry.

Because most of the businesses on Wealthy St. are outside of the boundary and have been rejected as venues, I have been working with a group of people in the neighborhood to do a complimentary event--Art Peers.

http://artpeers.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Rapids...rs/106769629840

https://twitter.com/artpeers

http://www.urbanpharm.com/blog/?p=2440

Rhino, as I understand it, ArtPrize doesn't have enough venues for all the artists. You gonna help with that?

(suggesting Art Peers to everyone who will read an e-mail)

This is a great big deal! How cool is it that lil ol' GR is going to host 1000 artists from around the world and have the chance to interact with many of the artists and talk about their art?!!

This is turning out to be a bigger event than I would have ever imagined!

Anyone volunteering? I think that I am going to sign up to help! Sounds like they are going to need every hand available. And, what a great opportunity to promote Grand Rapids and West Michigan!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Yankee Fan

...Anyone volunteering? I think that I am going to sign up to help! Sounds like they are going to need every hand available. And, what a great opportunity to promote Grand Rapids and West Michigan!

:thumbsup:

Sent my contact info along on what turned out to be the day after they annointed their volunteer coordinator. She's swamped; still no return contact.

I do have a spare room...