ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

The website indicates it will be the site of that artists' ArtPrize entry and that work will begin on or around Sept. 1st.

I ran into him at the Artisans Market a couple weeks ago. He created a large painting that he cut up and made into bracelets. Sometime in September (?...I can't seem to find the postcard or website), everybody with a piece of the bracelet is invited to gather to reassemble the painting. Cool concept...

What about this one? The world's largest wooden easel...

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/2538

Definitely crazy! I know where I'll be on September 23rd!

Description of work: “I, Too, Have a Dream” will be a 65 foot easel holding a 12’x16’ painting comprised of 84 panels. The individual sections of the painting will be titled with one of 84 inspirational quotes from prominent figures in business, politics, entertainment, and social movements. Using the letters from these quotes to construct the content, Singh will embed an image in each of the panels. This style of using letters from a saying or quote is called “Singh Letterism”.

The painting is divided into 84 panels representing the Hindu belief that humans must pass through 84,000 life forms before reaching final enlightenment. An image representing the stunt performed while painting that specific panel or significant inspirational actions will be depicted within each small canvas, however, the viewer’s eye will be drawn to the superimposed images of Ghandi, Mother Theresa, and Martin Luther King Jr.

Work statement: On September 23rd, Artist Singh plans that a helicopter will drop him atop the 65 foot easel. He will stay on the easel for 14 days as part of the project.On October 6th Artist Singh will jump from the 65 foot easel to symbolize- he was part of the project, he was part of the dream, and now that he has accomplished his dream successfully he will detach himself with a winner's spirit to move on to see another dream.

Edited by jbr12

When I was hunting around the ArtPrize site this morning I found this potentially awesome entry. I imagine that construction of this installation will have to begin sometime in the next couple of weeks and could dramatically change this corner, at least for a couple of weeks, maybe longer.

Sally England/Nick Stockton

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/675

One of GR's most notorious eyesores furbished into a work of art? That's great! Leave it to artists to step up when creditors, developers, and the tough economy can't. :tough:

I imagined ArtPrize bringing all kinds of benefits to GR, but sprucing up blighted buildings hadn't been one of them, until now. This is really exciting.

Any venues held by our dear friend Azzar?

ETA: It just dawned on me that a way for others to "cash in" would be to sell postcards depicting the art. Start shootin'.

P.P.S. On Cyburbia, someone posted photos of a tacky 1960s post office and asked for facade improvement suggestions. I've brought him here.

Edited by Veloise

Any venues held by our dear friend Azzar?

ETA: It just dawned on me that a way for others to "cash in" would be to sell postcards depicting the art. Start shootin'.

P.P.S. On Cyburbia, someone posted photos of a tacky 1960s post office and asked for facade improvement suggestions. I've brought him here.

Here is Scott Hessels website for his ArtPrize exhibit: The Image Mill - sustainable cinema.

http://www.dshessels.com/projects/Imagemill/image_mill.htm

Sounds great - and a recommended walking tour would be good too. I have started to take my kids to view the completed installations and it would be helpful to know when others are done so we all can get a head start before September 23rd. This is a great opportunity for families to explore the city.

Should we start a spin-off thread in the coffee house to discuss the various artists and venue's and leave this one for overall talk of the event? I'm thinking like a UP Guide to Artprize :P

Can't we just keep them all in one thread? Otherwise, it becomes confusing as to what is appropriate discussion for which thread.

I love the idea though of people digging into the artists' database and pulling out some interesting works to highlight.

With ArtPrize being such a hot topic to chat about I think it would be better to have a forum for it so people can chat about specific works of art. After-all ArtPrize is a social networking event and it could draw many people to our Grand Rapids Urban Planet Forum. Just my humble opinion.

~John

We're going to try this for a while. I'm hesitant to open up a bunch more threads to manage.

Here's an interesting one: Lou Rizzolo/BIGThink's entry Hemi-Flora Sculpture at City Hall. I think this one was originally planned for Belknap Lookout Park:

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/2664

DSCN5380.png

With ArtPrize being such a hot topic to chat about I think it would be better to have a forum for it so people can chat about specific works of art. After-all ArtPrize is a social networking event and it could draw many people to our Grand Rapids Urban Planet Forum. Just my humble opinion.

~John

You can't talk about specific works of art in this thread?

Why don't we wait and see how it goes. We might even do polling. Who knows until we get there.

The only sub-forums we've ever had were Coffee House, Armchair Developer (failed), and Green Rapids (not exactly a hotbed of activity.) Even the "mystery project," perhaps the most active discussion we've ever had here, only needed one thread. I really don't think a sub-forum would be needed; as I doubt artprize will draw the people and the flurry of posting that the mystery development did.

The only sub-forums we've ever had were Coffee House, Armchair Developer (failed), and Green Rapids (not exactly a hotbed of activity.) Even the "mystery project," perhaps the most active discussion we've ever had here, only needed one thread. I really don't think a sub-forum would be needed; as I doubt artprize will draw the people and the flurry of posting that the mystery development did.

Tony, you forgot my all-time favorite thread. (Can't tell ya, it's a secret.)

$20 for a booklet and wristband? Where did you hear that at?

Sounds like the price of a guided tour, or a trolley bus tour, or...something.

I already suggested that photogs develop (heh) a series of postcards.

Teaser: On Sunday I met a local balloon artist who will be helping refresh one of the installations. Waiting to hear how much of this can be revealed. That's all I'm typing. No mas.

ETA: Sonshine D Clown (eponymous website) has it up on hers, so I won't keep it a secret.

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/3750 The Birth of Venus, in balloons.

I am not making this up.

Edited by Veloise