ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

What a fine demonstration of class from artist Deborah Adams Doering. Two versions of one sculpture even enhances the piece.

Now, forget about rain and traffic - I wonder what the bride is going to do when she sees a Loch Ness monster-replica floating by on the river? :silly:

My mama used to tell a story about going to college where the big rival school's initial appeared on the natural grass football field. (Like putting a large S atop a block M.) It seems that, if you use oats to "write" something on a grassy surface, it sprouts bright screamin' green, and can't be mowed away.

Just typing...

Great pics everyone. As an FYI, there is an Art Prize Flickr Pool:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1098071@N23/

Be sure to check it out (and add some of these great pics).

Joe

Awesome Joe! My request to join has been sent!

Continuing installation on the riverfront. I asked Ray Katz if the piece was going to be permanent, and he didn't know.

3865775852_e0a6a9a2e1_b.jpg

I hope so! I really think the corporate community should step in and buy some of the art, make sure it stays in the community. Would be great to form some kind of Artprize endowment to categorize and care for any Artprize pieces that are permanent. I'd hate to see some of the murals being painted fade away.

Does anyone know if there are any plans like this? If not, maybe the UP community should rally. :)

Joe

Continuing installation on the riverfront. I asked Ray Katz if the piece was going to be permanent, and he didn't know.

I hope so! I really think the corporate community should step in and buy some of the art, make sure it stays in the community. Would be great to form some kind of Artprize endowment to categorize and care for any Artprize pieces that are permanent. I'd hate to see some of the murals being painted fade away.

Does anyone know if there are any plans like this? If not, maybe the UP community should rally. :)

Joe

Just think if 15 - 20 pieces per year could be permanently kept in Grand Rapids, after about 5 ArtPrize's, downtown GR would be one giant gallery of art.

Looks like one of the Blue Bridge entries is going up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cowboyericgvs...ool-1098071@N23

Every time I see a crane downtown now, I think ArtPrize? There's one on the Monroe side of City Hall that may or may not be putting in an ArtPrize entry.

I just walked by the crane on Monroe and there are a couple of dumpsters behind it.... I think the crane is for the reroofing project on County building.