ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

I'm pleased to announce I'm the proud owner of "#17" by Reed Govert

reedgovertnumber17.jpg

Reed and his father just dropped off the piece. He just started back up painting after stopping for a few years. They said they very much enjoyed the whole ArtPrize experience and hope to participate next year. Nice folks, I wish them well...

I'm pleased to announce I'm the proud owner of "#17" by Reed Govert

Reed and his father just dropped off the piece. He just started back up painting after stopping for a few years. They said they very much enjoyed the whole ArtPrize experience and hope to participate next year. Nice folks, I wish them well...

Please be sure to post your venue hours, and voting details. ;)

Mine changes hands tomorrow.

Chez Veloise is a venue!

The Moores are slowly disassembling and loading the rest of their flowers, College out front of WOOD TV. All but one are still available.

And we talked for a while about the event and how not "everyone" is DT. (I said stay here, just ramp it up a few.)

Chez Veloise is a venue!

Congrats !!!

I really think once it sinks in that there is art that can be acquired through this event, it may well put another facet on ArtPrize. After all, it's pretty clear the quality of work is far above what you're likely to find at the other large Michigan art event, the Ann Arbor Art Fair which does a tremendous amount of commerce and is very well attended. In addition to casual collectors, I wouldn't be too shocked to see interest from institutional buyers from elsewhere around the country.

Congrats !!!

I really think once it sinks in that there is art that can be acquired through this event, it may well put another facet on ArtPrize. After all, it's pretty clear the quality of work is far above what you're likely to find at the other large Michigan art event, the Ann Arbor Art Fair which does a tremendous amount of commerce and is very well attended. In addition to casual collectors, I wouldn't be too shocked to see interest from institutional buyers from elsewhere around the country.

It's a tenuous balance though.... as much as I love the Ann Arbor Art Fair, ArtPrize aims to be something much higher.

I think he vibe at the BOB's parking lot/festival grounds was decidedly "art fair" and not "art exhibit."

In my opinion, what sets ArtPrize ahead was the decided lack of tents selling crafts. I would not at all wish for it to head in that direction.

It's a tenuous balance though.... as much as I love the Ann Arbor Art Fair, ArtPrize aims to be something much higher.

I think he vibe at the BOB's parking lot/festival grounds was decidedly "art fair" and not "art exhibit."

In my opinion, what sets ArtPrize ahead was the decided lack of tents selling crafts. I would not at all wish for it to head in that direction.

ABSOLUTELY

One of the problems with the AA Art Fair is the work is a mile wide, but an inch deep. There were many pieces shown here that wouldn't have made the light of day in AA because they weren't commercial enough.

Three words: No Funnel Cakes

Young Kim sand-in-a-jar.

Seriously, was thinking about my acquisition. The A2 event has been derided for "art on a stick," metal insect things that folks buy to add to their gardens. That and the re-purposed specialty license tags serving as the roof of a birdhouse.

My big purple lily is not far from that genre, but...in A2 it would go for a lot more.

1255285930.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is Fountain Street Church's confetti tower earlier today. The artist did not want to transport the entire structure back to Cranbrook, so she invited our youth groups to decorate it. Once disassembled, the kids can keep the piece they fixed up.

1255283087.jpg

1255283556.jpg

1255283527.jpg

I'm glad I got to see it spewing confetti.

Edited by Veloise

Congrats !!!

I wished I had looked at some of the artwork for potential purchase. The only pieces I saw with prominent price tags were a couple in One Trick Pony going for $15,000 and $10,000. :unsure:

One of my predictions for a headline for ArtPrize 2010: "The city, working with a limited fiscal budget, puts artists seeking the riverfront for a venue into a lottery system." Especially when I hear that 30 artists have already requested the river.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loch-Ness-Monster-Nessie-Artprize-Award-Winner_W0QQitemZ330382144326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_Sculptu

Nessie is on the Auction Block... Apparently it would be to costly to winterize her. The post from their Facebook site:

It's getting cold out, and Nessie will need a new home soon before the pond freezes. As much as we'd like her to stay at JB Zoo, and feel it is a good fit for her, she cannot winter there in her current state.

due to costs to winterize nessie and make her hull more resilient for long term exposure to a water home, we put nessie up for auction. http://bit.ly/64k6FQ

we would like her to stay in grand rapids but she won't fit in any of our back yards.

Eight bids from six bidders (one of whom appears to be a ringer).

In other news, WGVU has a documentary out:

http://www.mlive.com/artprize/index.ssf/2009/12/wgvu_releases_artprize_documentary_on_dvd_in_time_for_christmas.html

"...once people actually got downtown and actually started checking this out, it became a bit of a short-term addiction." Yep!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.mlive.com/artprize/index.ssf/2010/01/artprize_winning_piece_open_water_no_24_sold_to_devos_foundation_to_remain_at_grand_rapids_art_museu.html

ArtPrize winning piece 'Open Water no. 24' sold to DeVos Foundation to remain at Grand Rapids Art Museum

By Jeffrey Kaczmarczyk {sodEmoji.|} The GR Press

January 13, 2010, 12:05PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- ArtPrize has revealed Dick and Betsy DeVos were the buyers of Ran Ortner's "Open Water no. 24," the grand prize winning piece of art in the inaugural exhibition and competition.

The Dick and Betsy DeVos Foundation provided the funds for the $450,000 in prize money awarded in October in the competition created by their eldest son, Rick DeVos.

The oil painting that won the $250,000 grand prize in October has been on display at the Grand Rapids Art Museum since the exhibition closed Oct. 10.

ArtPrize officials announced the 6-foot by 19-foot painting will remain on temporary loan to the Grand Rapids Art Museum in downtown Grand Rapids.

"The purchase of Ortner's winning piece is the first step toward building and maintaining a permanent ArtPrize collection in Grand Rapids," said Betsy DeVos. "In the coming years, a permanent collection of the ArtPrize top art will become an attraction of its own for the city.

• 7 months later...

So right now we are now a little over 2 weeks out from the opening of ArtPrize 2010. By this point last year there were some pretty significant signs of the upcoming event (several murals had been completed or were in progress and many of the outdoor installations were in place or in progress. Is anyone seeing anything this year?

So right now we are now a little over 2 weeks out from the opening of ArtPrize 2010. By this point last year there were some pretty significant signs of the upcoming event (several murals had been completed or were in progress and many of the outdoor installations were in place or in progress. Is anyone seeing anything this year?

Saw one mural in progress on the side of a building on Grandville, just south of the S-Curve - I'm assuming it's ArtPrize related. You're right, it seemed as though last year many of the large sculptures were already in place or being installed by this time.