ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...

Art X Detroit trumpets homegrown culture, celebrates big ideas

"Nearly 50 events -- all free -- are planned at a dozen Midtown venues, from a major exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit to public art unveilings, jazz, classical, hip-hop, dance, theater, poetry and other readings and panel discussions. Artists were encouraged to challenge themselves, and many responded with bold works, premieres and lofty goals."

Art X Detroit trumpets homegrown culture, celebrates big ideas

"Nearly 50 events -- all free -- are planned at a dozen Midtown venues, from a major exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit to public art unveilings, jazz, classical, hip-hop, dance, theater, poetry and other readings and panel discussions. Artists were encouraged to challenge themselves, and many responded with bold works, premieres and lofty goals."

Yes, I'm going to it, and can't wait! Although it's more like Art.Downtown moreso than ArtPrize. It's all real artists and artists fellows of the Kresge Foundation.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strange that Quercus' post is not showing up, but here it is copied and pasted:

I noticed these banners hanging on the WMU building at Cherry Street and Ionia Avenue:

6159992896_8a8bc5814f_z.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a massive piece titled The Epic Broncos:

http://mywmu.com/art...rty/artweb.html

edit: it's showing up now. Weird.

What an odd time for an unveil. Not 8, not 9, but 8.41. However, a title such as "epic broncos" so far only has me thinking of that mural by the S-curve and Central Station.

I think his artwork is a little more abstract than that, based on this thumbnail:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=revere+la+noue+broncos&um=1&hl=en&biw=1262&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=V1UmCEYTGmksJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mascotgallery.com/vote.asp&docid=_rD8oH16g939tM&w=180&h=499&ei=3rB3TtX3MeXnsQLem52MBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=383&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=53&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=27&ty=46

And I think because their reception goes 7 - 9, they want people to stay for as much of it as possible.

Is it projected? I never noticed anyone painting the building (or they did it between Friday and today).

I like the cover-up. Adds some intrigue to the piece!

Joe

That mural was epic. But I think they were Wild Stallionz, not broncos. :)

What an odd time for an unveil. Not 8, not 9, but 8.41. However, a title such as "epic broncos" so far only has me thinking of that mural by the S-curve and Central Station.

• 2 weeks later...

Im so disappointed with the winner... Each year the "Art" Prize competition gets dumbed down... I loved the first years winner, last year was meh but it only won because of sheer size and time involved which I suppose is ok for one year.. but , now this monstrosity! without significant changes to Art Prize, I dont see this competition lasting much longer.. I think they should have professionals vote on a winner not the poeple.. the people have proven themselves incapable of choosing good art... Maybe next year ill build the worlds largest cross and put it in the grand river with a sign that reads, "I love jesus" and win me 250$ large......

• Like 1

Im so disappointed with the winner... Each year the "Art" Prize competition gets dumbed down... I loved the first years winner, last year was meh but it only won because of sheer size and time involved which I suppose is ok for one year.. but , now this monstrosity! without significant changes to Art Prize, I dont see this competition lasting much longer.. I think they should have professionals vote on a winner not the poeple.. the people have proven themselves incapable of choosing good art... Maybe next year ill build the worlds largest cross and put it in the grand river with a sign that reads, "I love jesus" and win me 250$ large......

Look, I'm not happy with the top-10 as there were many better pieces that should have at least made that list. The GRPM alone had many that were far more worthy than "rain" or that metal dog and the fountain bears.

But bashing the winner and demeaning the people of the area as just some stupid rubes that would vote for anything that has to do with Jesus is not right.

As you pointed out the previous two winners had nothing to do with religion. So this one has a religious context? No law says it couldn't. Next year might not.

What if next years had a GLBT theme and someone said that people would vote for anything as long as some "queers" guilted them into it?

If some people want a better selection, then take the next year to expose people to the wider selection of art that exists so they know that puppies and big stuff should not equal automatic vote. Maybe use social media to form a significant "voting bloc" that is pledged to taking their voting seriously, and as a group will vote only for the pieces that have real merit. It may save ArtPrize from losing lots of big talent form outside the region, which it is seriously in danger of.

You have to be more positive. Those people, despite their voting habits, packed our streets, and patronized our local businesses. If you don't want them back next year, then make them feel like idiots and rubes.

If the whole event becomes "Craftprize" as some people are beginning to call it and we become the laughing stock of the art world then I would rather they not come and the whole thing stopped... That being said, I truly think the worlds largest cross with the words "I Love Jesus" on it would get in the top ten... (I say this without an ounce of sarcasm, I truly truly believe this..)

• Like 1

gvsusean, as amusing as it would be, and how much of a fun story it would make to agree with you, I must disagree. Each year has had religious art, including crosses with "I love jesus" on them, and they never even made the top 10. Did religion influence this winner? Quite possibly, but it wasn't the core determining factor; the artist is clearly skilled at what she does and makes beautiful pieces to begin with.

Every year I wish for the Top 10 to be full of interesting pieces. Ones I haven't seen yet, or have some deeper meaning, or some method or theme that hasn't been done before. Just something REALLY cool. But every year it's the same. Rain was the only one that even came close to having an effect that I hadn't witnessed before.

Maybe ArtPrize is not meant for people like me, with high expectations.

I am torn between the financial benefits AP brings to the community vs declining freshness and enthusiasm. AP needs a reboot starting with an every other year frequency.

It's a strange mixed sentiment. The people I know who loved ArtPrize the first year, many of them creative people, business owners, graphic designers, artists, etc just have lost almost all interest in the voting portion of it. They still go and try to seek out the hidden gems, but have given up on the chances of getting anything worthwhile into the top 10. It's almost become like our political system. It's so slanted toward the big guys (venues) that no one with anything fresh, controversial and/or new has a chance.

But then every one one of my kids went on a field trip to ArtPrize with their school this year, unlike years past. And I spoke with a lot of people who went this year and hadn't before and loved it.