ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Just out of curiosity, anyone think they did any number studies to see what this event will bring to the table? When I heard Dunlap and his talk about young people, I was struck by his language. This goes for both Devoses and son. Almost like they know from a numbers standpoint what this will do for the city and metro area. That might help explain why there was a private meeting with local business people earlier this morning.

They estimated that Otterness drew about 500,000 people to downtown over that 3 months. 500,000 attend Festival every year. So I'd easily say 500,000 to maybe 750,000 over the 2.5 weeks of ArtPrize. I wouldn't be surprised if it draws people from all over the Great Lakes area (which Otterness did but Festival generally does not). You can bet a lot of people will make the road trip from Detroit and Chicago.

Since a few generous people have stepped up to put this together and fund it, the least we can do is start the buzz to get people here.

Oh, and here are some links:

http://www.artprize.org/

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=artprize+&...&ref=search

http://www.vimeo.com/4292901

And DSchoon, check google again. The hits keep racking up:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=artpriz...;fp=RgodfiivdiU

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/23...I-ArtPrize.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/human-.../08006000.topic

http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/ap/20090423...ze-1d79e03.html

http://www.kansascity.com/446/story/1157906.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/prnewswire/200...___DE04109.html

FWIW, the weather is pretty much fabulous around here late Sept.

I'm sure there will be a ton of entries, but I'm a little perplexed about what has everyone thinking this is going to generate a huge amount of traffic into Grand Rapids. Even if it turns out to be a three-week death match between the world's best living artists I can't see it being that big of a draw. Maybe I'm underestimating the global arts community, but I can't see that many people planning a trip around this. The Dead Sea Scrolls were a huge deal and that was just a blip in traffic.

I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by DSchoon

And DSchoon, check google again. The hits keep racking up:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=artpriz...;fp=RgodfiivdiU

Wow. Golly. West Michigan is abuzz. And there are all these hits from this thing called PRnewswire.

I believe my comment was that there weren't any blog entries outside of West Michigan at 9:20 a.m. this morning. Still true far as I can tell. I'm sure that will change in the next few hours/days, so don't feel the need to feed me updates.

I'm sure there will be a ton of entries, but I'm a little perplexed about what has everyone thinking this is going to generate a huge amount of traffic into Grand Rapids. Even if it turns out to be a three-week death match between the world's best living artists I can't see it being that big of a draw. Maybe I'm underestimating the global arts community, but I can't see that many people planning a trip around this. The Dead Sea Scrolls were a huge deal and that was just a blip in traffic.

I hope I'm wrong.

It's easy being a naysayer. Whatever happens, you either get to say "I told you so", or people are so happy with the results they don't care what you said before.

But the Dead Sea Scrolls? How are they even close? That's like comparing this to Butterflies are Blooming. Or to the Jaycees golf outing at Lincoln Country Club.

The updates weren't for you (other than the link to google). Blogs are usually some of the last to post, because they usually either link to other blogs or to news articles (they're last in the chain). In other words, most bloggers aren't insiders, they're spectators.

If this event is really as big we are projecting it in our imaginations, are we going to have the space to hold all of these people? I know we have new hotels planned.

Enough resonably priced accommodations... hostels, empty dorms, etc. Few artists I've been acquainted with are going to have the jack to shack up at the J.W. (unless they stack them six deep) and have the funds to eat and finance supplies and the like...

.(As a GV student, you, more than anyone should understand that) :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to pull out my dj equipment and bring some trance out to the streets this summer. Only problem is I'll likely need different, smaller audio equipment. I'm not about to bring a 40lb amp and two 15" speakers on a bus.

Two(ish) words: Pedi-Cab

Well I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer - but I know a lot of artists in Chicago and Miami and I told them about this and they were totally excited, and then as soon as they found out that Devos has their hands in the project - they're not interested anymore.

It's kinda sad how politics comes over art sometimes :/

There's suddenly so many expert naysayers in the room about a social/artistic/viral event that's never been done on this scale. I'm sure you're all geniuses and experts in this field but for now I think I'll take the stance that this is a win/win.

ArtPrize can't possibly be a negative thing for Grand Rapids...lighten up.

And I can't believe politics would play into international artists wanting (or not wanting) to participate. There is a ton of cash on the table...and a democratic chance at winning...giddy up.

I hope I'm wrong.

That's the $500,000.00 question. A lot of big name artists, will come. No one will know them from a hole in the wall, but it will be an interesting experiment. The art world is in a huge economic slump, so there may be lots of artist that will jump on this for lack of anything else going on.

But ultimately I think it's going to boil down too the attitude of the whole thing, and how much the public is going to be involved.

Will there be some sort of festival that coincides with this? Concerts, fireworks, free activities, lectures , beer festival? Stuff that keeps people entertained between gallery walking will play a huge part.

Another wild card will be how ambitious the entries will be. Will they be wild and totally out of left field?

It's also cool that people will be able to vote for the winner, and not just some stuffy panel of art snobs. So hopefully the winner isn't some yawner Thomas Kincade knock-off like we get with the Festival some years.

So the key is making it more about the people and not just the artists. that's what will draw people.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Well I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer - but I know a lot of artists in Chicago and Miami and I told them about this and they were totally excited, and then as soon as they found out that Devos has their hands in the project - they're not interested anymore.

It's kinda sad how politics comes over art sometimes :/

Artists in Miami know what Rick Devos' political beliefs are? I don't even think I know.

There's suddenly so many expert naysayers in the room about a social/artistic/viral event that's never been done on this scale. I'm sure you're all geniuses and experts in this field but for now I think I'll take the stance that this is a win/win.

ArtPrize can't possibly be a negative thing for Grand Rapids...lighten up.

And I can't believe politics would play into international artists wanting (or not wanting) to participate. There is a ton of cash on the table...and a democratic chance at winning...giddy up.

Well people are right to ask questions or to express concerns. This was kind of tossed out from nowhere and into everyone's laps without a real precedent in recent history. No one is being a professional naysayer by just voicing these things.

You're right. Nothing like this has ever been done on this scale. That is why you just dont tie the blindfold on and grab the nearest pom poms. A lot of people are going to have questions that just cant be blown off as them being party poopers.

What you've read here is nothing compared to what people have being saying elsewhere.

Well people are right to ask questions or to express concerns. This was kind of tossed out from nowhere and into everyone's laps without a real precedent in recent history. No one is being a professional naysayer by just voicing these things.

You're right. Nothing like this has ever been done on this scale. That is why you just dont tie the blindfold on and grab the nearest pom poms. A lot of people are going to have questions that just cant be blown off as them being party poopers.

What you've read here is nothing compared to what people have being saying elsewhere.

Urbanist, could you give some examples of what a negative result might be from this competition? I'm honestly trying to get my head around what might be a truly "negative" outcome.

Possibly that it "under-delivers" in some way in someone's mind?

Urbanist, could you give some examples of what a negative result might be from this competition? I'm honestly trying to get my head around what might be a truly "negative" outcome.

Possibly that it "under-delivers" in some way in someone's mind?

edit: never mind. I'm not going to start a spitting match over this.

It's going to be awesome. Those who don't think so don't have to go.

It's easy being a naysayer. Whatever happens, you either get to say "I told you so", or people are so happy with the results they don't care what you said before.

Actually, I think it's very hard being a naysayer. It's easy to get excited about these things and to start daydreaming about how awesome it'll all be. You've got it totally backward. You get to say I told you so when it goes right and no one remembers all the jokers who pumped up the mystery development or the downtown condo market or the emperor's new clothes.

But I also don't think anyone is saying ArtPrize is a bad thing for Grand Rapids. Let the DeVos family spend their money. I think people are disagreeing on whether it will move the needle. If you were to say that this contest is going to raise the awareness of Grand Rapids to the arts community and draw some daytrippers, I'd certainly agree with you. I don't think the fact that I'm not doing a happy dance about this makes me a naysayer. It makes me realistic.

I don't personally believe this will be a negative PR-15, but I could certainly make a case for one.

Let me give it a try:

-Big stir arises when controversial art piece catches ire of religious right in Grand Rapids. Or less likely, DeVos foundation refuses to award prize money to winning pro-choice performance art piece.

-Arival of out of area artists puts local artists out of business.

-Someone realizes that this money was all foundation funds and could have been spent, on you know, charitable stuff.

-Facility commitment displaces a long-running ethnic festival.

-Community starving for positive news is further jaded by art show publicized as economic engine.

Now I'm not saying any of that stuff will happen, but I believe they are all in the realm of possibility.

This is an awesome idea and a great way to promote Grand Rapids and the arts.

This could bring tens of thousands of art work here. The area may need to be expanded. I'm sure it will bring millions of art enthusiasts here to see the HUGE display. How many unemployed people will be able to make a huge amount of money as tour guides?

We are going to be busy getting pictures of all the news trucks here.

How many unknown artists will get "spot-lighted"? The impact of this event could be huge.

~John

I have to admitt that this is an awesome idea. I hope this event becomes a huge hit annually. Although I do feel that DSchoon made a good point: that art sometimes doesn't stay within political boundaries. If the Devos's are going to support this art contest, they had better realize now that it may not always represent what they represent.

-Big stir arises when controversial art piece catches ire of religious right in Grand Rapids. Or less likely, DeVos foundation refuses to award prize money to winning pro-choice performance art piece.

I think people are disagreeing on whether it will move the needle.

Out of curiosity, do you think that SXSW moves the needle for Austin? Just trying to gauge where your coming from.

And no I'm not saying that this is equal to SXSW, however SXSW did not start out as the mega-event that is currently...

I have to admitt that this is an awesome idea. I hope this event becomes a huge hit annually. Although I do feel that DSchoon made a good point: that art sometimes doesn't stay within political boundaries. If the Devos's are going to support this art contest, they had better realize now that it may not always represent what they represent.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume these conversations have taken place between Dick, Betsy and their son Rick. It's an "international art competition". There might be penises and pooh, and upside-down crosses. However, how the public responds to the particular exhibits will determine the winners. That might have some bearing on what the display is.

Let me just say this: If you're an artist vying for a chunk of a $500,000 purse, do you think you're going to hang some paintings of turtles from a clothesline and call it a day? I think this could get very interesting, when competitive artistic juices start flowing and the available scale is so large.

I do hope that everyone who has committed support to this goes in with an open mind.

There's a town hall meeting about ArtPrize at UICA on April 27th, at 5:30:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94674938097&ref=mf

Actually, I think it's very hard being a naysayer. It's easy to get excited about these things and to start daydreaming about how awesome it'll all be. You've got it totally backward. You get to say I told you so when it goes right and no one remembers all the jokers who pumped up the mystery development or the downtown condo market or the emperor's new clothes.

But I also don't think anyone is saying ArtPrize is a bad thing for Grand Rapids. Let the DeVos family spend their money. I think people are disagreeing on whether it will move the needle. If you were to say that this contest is going to raise the awareness of Grand Rapids to the arts community and draw some daytrippers, I'd certainly agree with you. I don't think the fact that I'm not doing a happy dance about this makes me a naysayer. It makes me realistic.

I'm certainly not hoping this tanks. That would be a horrible embarrassment, and what good will come of that?

I just think that the hype machine needs to go from 11 back to 4.

At this rate of what's being said, I expect by the end of the week that we should expect 10,000,000 visitors, news media from every continent, a visit from the president, MOMA setting up a branch galley on Monroe, 1 billion added to the local economy, and promises of zero unemployment as everyone in town will be working on this!

Mr. Devos should be enthusiastic, but he needs to keep the expectations in check before the enthusiasm suffocates the event.

ArtPrize already has 60 artists 'and counting' -- and that was four hours ago. Plus, if you goto the website you can even lend your support and host and/or shuttle out of town artists. Cool opportunity to become a GR ambassador. :)

Hey guys Golscorer put up his thesis for the west wall of Vandenberg Center on the ArtPrize Flickr page! Have a look see.

Edited by Rizzo

Actually, Rick noted in his speech that some of the artwork may be distasteful, but it was up to the public to decide. Majority rules, and unless it is an exceptionally well done penis made of poo, it probably won't get voted to the top.

Personally, I am totally impressed and blown away at the idea. I see it not only as a great event, I also see Grand Rapids picking up some major pieces of artwork (much like what happened when the Calder came to town).

We can fight all day long about whether it will "move the needle" for Grand Rapids all day but at this point, nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

I will however go out on a limb and say that if this turns into an "Mlive-esque commenting free for all", I'll start banning your arses left and right and you can feel free to piss and moan all day on mlive.com. Again, that is mlive dot com.

Joe

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume these conversations have taken place between Dick, Betsy and their son Rick. It's an "international art competition". There might be penises and pooh, and upside-down crosses. However, how the public responds to the particular exhibits will determine the winners. That might have some bearing on what the display is.

Let me just say this: If you're an artist vying for a chunk of a $500,000 purse, do you think you're going to hang some paintings of turtles from a clothesline and call it a day? I think this could get very interesting, when competitive artistic juices start flowing and the available scale is so large.

I do hope that everyone who has committed support to this goes in with an open mind.

There's a town hall meeting about ArtPrize at UICA on April 27th, at 5:30:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94674938097&ref=mf