ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Sounds like the price of a guided tour, or a trolley bus tour, or...something.

I already suggested that photogs develop (heh) a series of postcards.

Teaser: On Sunday I met a local balloon artist who will be helping refresh one of the installations. Waiting to hear how much of this can be revealed. That's all I'm typing. No mas.

ETA: Sonshine D Clown (eponymous website) has it up on hers, so I won't keep it a secret.

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/3750 The Birth of Venus, in balloons.

I am not making this up.

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to add that to my list of must see venues. Reference artwork: Birth of Venus

The other piece of art at that venue has a pretty vague description: http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/2761

Title: Untitled at this time Art form: 2-D

Medium: mixed media

Year created: 2009

Description of work: A collaborative mixed media work utilizing an outdoor space.

Here's his artist resume: http://www.artprize.org/ArtPrizeUploads/16707.pdf

$20 for a booklet and wristband? Where did you hear that at?

~John

I talked to the ArtPrize folks - when you register for ArtPrize, you can purchase an upgraded package. You get a guide book and a wristband that will get you into various events/parties throughout the competition. I believe it also gets you free shuttle rides.

Here's a piece that just started construction at Sixth Street Park (hosted by the City/DDA): Ray Katz's "Telos", a 24' tall stainless steel sculpture.

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/1228

I got a chance to talk with the artist, who was there during installation. The piece was actually developed and started prior to the ArtPrize announcement, but he figured this would be a great place to show it off (and possibly win $250,000).

3858273175_fdf9a6de78_b.jpg

3859063898_702f44fb8d_b.jpg

3858275209_9d4dc48c81_b.jpg

On the east wall of the Grand Rapids Community Foundation's new building (the Icehouse building) there is an artist who has, for the last couple of weeks, been performing prep work. I think that it is this guy:

http://www.artprize.org/artist/id/3217

Being that it will be finished with ..."an exterior UV resistant varnish..." this will be a long lasting piece of the first ArtPrize.

Cannot wait to see how this one turns out! :thumbsup:

Hey, I used to work with the DEQ.

Did a little searching...here is the complete application. It was filed by Favorite City on behalf of three art projects.

Fascinating reading; I can just see the applicant trying to not crack up while typing, "taking into consideration the water current and depth of the river at the point of interest, the piece would be anchored to the bed of the river and tethered to the bridge pylon to keep it (the monster) stable and secure." (I am not making this up. See page 12.)

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/lwmpnh-data/09410084pn.pdf ...

ArtPrize hosts artist chats on Facebook. I just inquired about the permit.

Thus spake Nessie: "the permit has been issued. We are waiting from one piece of info from our engineer then we will have it in hand."

Also requested help with the launch (transport to the river is all set). Nessie hopes to find a permanent water-based home somewhere in town; Meijer Gardens and JBP Zoo were referenced.

Wow, totally missed that one John. I need to check that one out in person! Took a picture last night of Daan Hoekstra's mural on the GR Community Foundation. Can't see much yet, but I think this one is going to be very cool:

3858252931_31ef56d197_b.jpg

Joe

Thanks Joe,

It cause me by surprise also. I knew a mural was going up there but didn't notice any work being done yesterday but saw it on my way to the gas station (for some vacation snacks :P) and was amazed at the amount of work that he had done. He said he hopes to have it mostly done on Friday. Will prabably do some tweeking befor Sept. 22nd.

I'll have to keep an eye out with the progress of the GRCF mural as it is also close to me.

This ArtPrize sure is exciting!

~John

This is funny:

Bride-to-be says Grand Rapids officials spoiling picture-perfect wedding by booking ArtPrize venue

I can understand how the city might not have connected the dots that the park as an ArtPrize venue might detract from a wedding. I can understand the bride's frustration with the city, but I don't think there she was "deceived," as she implies.

Anyone want to get married here?

large_artprize-rendering.jpg

Edited by RegalTDP

I talked to the ArtPrize folks - when you register for ArtPrize, you can purchase an upgraded package. You get a guide book and a wristband that will get you into various events/parties throughout the competition. I believe it also gets you free shuttle rides.

This was mentioned on MLive but I'm not seeing anything on the ArtPrize site yet. Still 'Coming Soon!'

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-r..._package_o.html

This is funny:

Bride-to-be says Grand Rapids officials spoiling picture-perfect wedding by booking ArtPrize venue

I can understand how the city might not have connected the dots that the park as an ArtPrize venue might detract from a wedding. I can understand the bride's frustration with the city, but I don't think there she was "deceived," as she implies.

That groom-to-be needs to get out now. Oyyvay, gimme a break.

This is funny:

I'm going to be competing in ArtPrize. It will be Performance Art. I plan on showing up to the park during Stephanie's wedding and screaming as loud as I can that she's a pig for the entire wedding. Maybe I'll win $250,000!!!

^^What Jeff typed. BRIDEZILLA!!!

I guess any place that hosts wedding receptions had better not refresh the decor or clean up between the time the happy couple puts down their deposit and The Big Event. "This is NOT the carpet we expected!"

What if it rains? What if the grass was messed up due to natural mishaps? What if a traffic incident occurs during the party? Oh, and how is Mrs Ford's health these days?

"It's MY wedding and I'll have it MY way!!"

Update: the artist is going to mow the (painted) grass before the wedding, then paint a new artwork on it afterwards. Good grief.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...mo.html#preview

What a fine demonstration of class from artist Deborah Adams Doering. Two versions of one sculpture even enhances the piece.

Now, forget about rain and traffic - I wonder what the bride is going to do when she sees a Loch Ness monster-replica floating by on the river? :silly:

What a fine demonstration of class from artist Deborah Adams Doering. Two versions of one sculpture even enhances the piece.

Now, forget about rain and traffic - I wonder what the bride is going to do when she sees a Loch Ness monster-replica floating by on the river? :silly:

My thoughts exactly...the painted lawn was kinda cool - I would have liked it, it would have enhanced the wedding. It's the wedding shots with Nessie and a HUGE table and chairs on the Blue Bridge (I'm sure others, too) - that would be stranger. Yet, I tend to roll with it. "We got married during the FIRST ArtPrize!"

My thoughts exactly...the painted lawn was kinda cool - I would have liked it, it would have enhanced the wedding. It's the wedding shots with Nessie and a HUGE table and chairs on the Blue Bridge (I'm sure others, too) - that would be stranger. Yet, I tend to roll with it. "We got married during the FIRST ArtPrize!"

Don't forget the Image Mill running in the Ford Museum fountain:

http://vimeo.com/6292038