ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

I love source code containing hidden messages ;)

Haha! I read that. :)

^What about that Lyon Square development?

I think we might all go "ohhhh" after Thursday. I mean, I think the Lyon Square project is to make the River City Bldg more attractive as part of a "corporate HQ."

OK, I took the bait. Googled "pomegranate studios michigan" and got Bill Holsinger-Robinson, President at Pomegranate Studios (Internet industry), Greater Grand Rapids from the LinkedIn site. Also, COO, Spout, (Marketing and Advertising industry). Bill's specialties include film distribution, marketing, design. Spout was nominated for a Webby award, Podcast category in 2007.

Not much more than the Press article. Other LinkedIn listings for Pomegranate are internet and marketing related so that's where I'll put my money.

Major initiative that will affect the city of Grand Rapids for years to come:

According to the Grand Rapids Press something is going to happen this Thursday. Furthermore people were passing out postcards (see below) on Saturday during the Chalk Flood confirming that there was indeed going to be some sort of event on Thursday at 9 a.m. I haven't been able to find anything else out beyond what appears to be a link to a UStream account called "event-4-23-09 at 9am." The logo on the post card matches the Ustream profile setup so I'm assuming that this event is going to be streamed live. Anybody have any other information regarding this?

Grand Rapids Press Story:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...nders_gran.html

Ustream account:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/event-4-23-09-9am

up1.pngup2.png

Please come in person to this announcement if you can, I would strongly suggest it's going to be worth your time/effort to be there... :shades:

I'm trying to figure out who knows what on here. I'm pretty sure PR-15 and Yankeefan know what it is (even though I don't think they know each other). GRBrit, are you involved with this somehow?

I can't confirm...(or deny, ahem :ph34r: ) . I'm just saying I can't WAIT for Thursday's announcement. I will be there w/bells on...and let's just say if you love this city you might want to take an hour out of your day and soak it in. :good:

I can't confirm...(or deny, ahem :ph34r: ) . I'm just saying I can't WAIT for Thursday's announcement. I will be there w/bells on...and let's just say if you love this city you might want to take an hour out of your day and soak it in. :good:

Will there be clowns on stilts? :camera:

Now I hope the people behind this are keeping things in perspective, because "Major initiative that will affect the city of Grand Rapids for years to come" is codewords to some for:

"Something that's interesting, but outside of a few interested/connected folks, it will be forgotten by the end of the week and will fizzle with no impact on anything by September."

Building projects that cost hundreds of millions took years to have a major impact on Grand Rapids, and by major I mean uneven and many time none at all. So something like this, while I'm all ears, is starting to reek of over hyped buzz marketing.

:D I remember that (but can't remember who said it).

I'm going to try and be there Thursday morn.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...t&p=1021139

Whoops, it was a fairy palace, and a stairway to the moon. Mea culpa.

Er, this is not to make light of the pending announcement or its long-term impact on GR or anything like that. (Did that a couple weeks back with GM's new two-seater wheelchair car...)

Now I hope the people behind this are keeping things in perspective, because "Major initiative that will affect the city of Grand Rapids for years to come" is codewords to some for:

"Something that's interesting, but outside of a few interested/connected folks, it will be forgotten by the end of the week and will fizzle with no impact on anything by September."

Building projects that cost hundreds of millions took years to have a major impact on Grand Rapids, and by major I mean uneven and many time none at all. So something like this, while I'm all ears, is starting to reek of over hyped buzz marketing.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see what it is. The buzz is more word-of-mouth right now, and the major media outlets haven't covered any of it yet (except Chris' blog).

I have a feeling it's not so much a building project announcement, but more of a jobs and economic announcement (which I think is better). You can't build a building unless you plan to fill it with people.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see what it is. The buzz is more word-of-mouth right now, and the major media outlets haven't covered any of it yet (except Chris' blog).

I have a feeling it's not so much a building project announcement, but more of a jobs and economic announcement (which I think is better). You can't build a building unless you plan to fill it with people.

WoodTV just covered it. Nothing new though.

Edited by Rizzo

You've just made this potshot too easy. :whistling::whistling:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source....50000000000002

Exactly. You can't put the cart before the horse. :)

I hear this won't be an announcement in the Duane Faustian sort of way. Create jobs and retain/attract young people. That to me spells some kind of film school/entertainment company. Maybe like Kendall College or Cooley back in their founding days.

Exactly. You can't put the cart before the horse. :)

I hear this won't be an announcement in the Duane Faustian sort of way. Create jobs and retain or attract young people. That to me spells some kind of film school/entertainment company. Maybe like Kendall College or Cooley back in their founding days.

They're using you for viral marketing! :lol: So this is going to be an announcement proposing framework that will change Grand Rapids?

Edited by Rizzo

They're using you for viral marketing! :lol: So this is going to be an announcement proposing framework that will change Grand Rapids?

Actually, everyone's been very good on this one in keeping me out of the loop. I just like to connect seemingly insignificant dots. But now that you say that, maybe they are. I feel so dirty. :)

Yeah, Rizzo. WOODTV got a formal invitation in the mail. That's their breaking story. :lol: