ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

This just in:

ArtPrize entrant arrested

On a related note, I'm considering an entry for next year's event consisting of a large, epic-style oil painting of artist's brandishing brushes and palettes locked in hand-to-hand mortal combat with brides and flower girls hurling bouquets from medieval catapults to repel the attempted conquest of wedding venues. Sculptors fallen by smartly snapped hosiery garters, shrimp puffs strewn about the field of battle... you get the idea

Edited by Kib

The funny thing about the video is that I was there, and I must have forgot to put on my slow motion glasses because the airplanes didn't look anything like that when they were careening towards Earth. ;)

Joe

The "official" video for 100,000 Planes and Melodies Over Monroe has been posted. It's pretty cool, and I think that song is kind of growing on me.

This just in:

ArtPrize entrant arrested

On a related note, I'm considering an entry for next year's event consisting of a large, epic-style oil painting of artist's brandishing brushes and palettes locked in hand-to-hand mortal combat with brides and flower girls hurling bouquets from medieval catapults to repel the attempted conquest of wedding venues. Sculptors fallen by smartly snapped hosiery garters, shrimp puffs strewn about the field of battle... you get the idea

That'd be awesome Kib. :) It's interesting how this article popped up after I posted something about it here on UP. It was tweeted about quite a bit this weekend as to why the news wasn't covering it.

New video on The Image Mill Facebook page that shows the cinema reel at night. Beautiful stuff. Check it out if you're heading out for a final look at the Top 25.

Artist is Scott Hessels of Grand Rapids/Singapore. Entry is "The Image Mill". It's a zoetrope cinema reel that is powered by the waterfall outside of Ford Museum. Sustainable art! Nothing like seeing natural resources power something so peaceful and beautiful.

If you feel like voting for this, you can text 27061 to 878787.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Hessel...58943898?ref=ts

Enjoy the art tonight!

New video on The Image Mill Facebook page that shows the cinema reel at night. Beautiful stuff. Check it out if you're heading out for a final look at the Top 25.

Artist is Scott Hessels of Grand Rapids/Singapore. Entry is "The Image Mill". It's a zoetrope cinema reel that is powered by the waterfall outside of Ford Museum. Sustainable art! Nothing like seeing natural resources power something so peaceful and beautiful.

If you feel like voting for this, you can text 27061 to 878787.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Hessel...58943898?ref=ts

Enjoy the art tonight!

is not exactly sustainable art, its actually probably less sustainable than if you just plugged the thing into the wall

is not exactly sustainable art, its actually probably less sustainable than if you just plugged the thing into the wall

my thoughts exactly, I hate how words like "sustainable" get tossed around like that. I chastised my co-workers the other day for putting "sustainable" in a marketing piece.

if he would have stuck it in the river and geared right, the slower flow could have gotten the wheel spinning at the right speed for the frames/second that it needed. that would have been something and you might be able to call it "sustainable"

A fellow UPer, blogger and active tweeter writes a pretty pointed review of the Top 10 today:

http://www.mlive.com/artprize/index.ssf/20..._to_top_10.html

GRPress site is apparently having tech difficulties.

Thanks for posting it. The GRPress site was having difficulties with the blogging tool. So I guess it's somewhat related to me crashing the site today. :) I really appreciated hearing your feedback too.

I thought there was going to be a walk around the city to talk about architecture downtown. Turns out I think it was just some walk to keep hearts healthy but the former sounds like it should be added to ArtPrize next year, a talk about buildings as art.

Definitely. I also think it would be pretty neat (probably would need the economy to pick up some) if actual structures get built and architecture entered as an artprize entry, and serve some purpose after the competition.. similar to the Eiffel Tower and the World's Fair. Although.. I'm sure nothing quite of that scale.

BTW, from what I hear, they hope to have Gallery on Fulton/UICA open as ArtPrize HQ for next year. How awesome would that be?

That would be super cool.

Went out today with the huge ArtPrize umbrella that I won in the Flickr contest and was amazed at the number of people walking around downtown with umbrellas this afternoon. This is totally awesome to see for Grand Rapids.

Went to a quiet venue that has some real cool art works. Immanuel Lutheran Church is a great venue. If you haven't been there yet, it is worth the effert to go see. http://artprize.org/venue/id/192

Here is a real cool piece there:

3978100614_74c8db2167.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3978100614/sizes/l/

~John

It'll be interesting to see what the economic impact of Art Prize is on Grand Rapids. So, how much did you spend?

My wife and I decided we'd try to "shop local", we only ate at locally owned establishments, coffee shops, etc. We stayed at the JW, and spent a total of $500 last weekend.

So, $500 (that we wouldn't have spent downtown otherwise).

What was your economic impact on Grand Rapids while attending Art Prize?

Joe

Not much of a dent from moi. My sis bought a coffee. I didn't eat DT any more than usual, slept in my own bed (less than a mile from the closest installation). Souvenirs: I bought the $2.50 totebag and a $1 button (the one with Michigan on it).

I did drop some coin at Kinko's during AP week. While there, I saw/met several artists running off more "vote for me" flyers. It'd be interesting to find out what the artists might have spent on supplies (duct tape, hardware, push-pins).

Heckman, the Tooth Fairy, appears on a billboard out in the townships, I-96 mile 49-ish. (It's pretty cute: a photo of him and Pres Ford, "Fairy and Jerry.") He might have paid for it, or it might have been lagniappe from the billboard company.

That would be super cool.

Went out today with the huge ArtPrize umbrella that I won in the Flickr contest and was amazed at the number of people walking around downtown with umbrellas this afternoon. This is totally awesome to see for Grand Rapids.

Went to a quiet venue that has some real cool art works. Immanuel Lutheran Church is a great venue. If you haven't been there yet, it is worth the effert to go see. http://artprize.org/venue/id/192

Here is a real cool piece there:

3978100614_74c8db2167.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3978100614/sizes/l/

~John

I was actually very afraid that all of the Art Prize venues would have been abandoned when my wife and I went out on Saturday.

They were all still full and very alive. No one cared that the main voting was over! People were still all over the place even with the rain and chilly weather.

We still couldn't get to everything, even though this was far from our first tour, and even though we were there from 2-8pm.

We are already planning a couple of entries for 2010!

It'll be interesting to see what the economic impact of Art Prize is on Grand Rapids. So, how much did you spend?

My wife and I decided we'd try to "shop local", we only ate at locally owned establishments, coffee shops, etc. We stayed at the JW, and spent a total of $500 last weekend.

So, $500 (that we wouldn't have spent downtown otherwise).

What was your economic impact on Grand Rapids while attending Art Prize?

Joe

I was downtown every day and quite a few evenings, and spent quite a bit more than I would have usually.

I just saw on twitter that there are a lot of people downtown today.

My wife and I just spent the afternoon downtown. Sadly, it was the first time we could get a baby sitter since ArtPrize started. We basically hit up the Top Ten. The BOB had quite a few people milling about and the Blue Bridge was very heavily trafficked. From there we went up to the Old Federal Building and there was a line out the door and along Pearl all the way to Division. Luckily, it moved quickly and we got to check out everything inside. Pretty huge crowd of people inside too. The area around Openwater and the Field of Reeds was nearly impossible to move around. People were getting pictures with Ran Ortner(?), the artist for Open Water. We then went up to UICA and found a very healthy crowd there as well.

The crowds are still out in force for ArtPrize!

Worth mentioning another aspect that may have been overlooked for the continued success of this event is the private purchase of the shown art.

I'm currently negotiating for a piece. I have to believe that for many of the artists, while not being in the prize money is a disappointment, making a sale helps defray the costs of their participation and might encourage them to be involved in any future ArtPrize events.

Something to consider...

Kib, I have heard this as well. I know someone that helped set up 3 out of town pieces, and two of them sold w/in the first two days. Nice!

Joe

Worth mentioning another aspect that may have been overlooked for the continued success of this event is the private purchase of the shown art.

I'm currently negotiating for a piece. I have to believe that for many of the artists, while not being in the prize money is a disappointment, making a sale helps defray the costs of their participation and might encourage them to be involved in any future ArtPrize events.

Something to consider...

What a fine demonstration of class from artist Deborah Adams Doering. Two versions of one sculpture even enhances the piece.

Now, forget about rain and traffic - I wonder what the bride is going to do when she sees a Loch Ness monster-replica floating by on the river? :silly:

Since meeting Deb and her dad at the installation, I look her up whenever I'm passing through. Today she tipped me off to a remarkable venue: River House. Not only do you get to check out a penthouse floor, you get a great view of DT *and* some remarkable art. One piece takes a look at breast cancer in a remarkable way. (Um, nudity is a component.) Be sure to go see it.

The new install is a small circle of code near the stage lawn. And the mowing did not remove all the paint; still shaded from the first round. When I asked how things went yesterday (the heralded wedding), Deb said that the happy couple did not show up. No reception, no tent, no wedding party, no guests.

Guessing that, after all the headlines, Stephanie's mom found them a small country club hall in the 'burbs.

Worth mentioning another aspect that may have been overlooked for the continued success of this event is the private purchase of the shown art. ...

One of these is staying in town, with me.

1254696383.jpg

Various prices. Single flowers, < $200

Edited by Veloise