ArtPrize and Project 1 - Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

On the bridge walk today, we walked around a large fenced off area on the Blue Bridge that appeared to contain a dozen or more piles of lumber and other materials, neatly covered by black tarps.

Also, I've been keeping up with the progress of the Jeff Zimmermann mural on the Pearl St side of KCAD's building and the SteamPig Experiment, via Facebook and Twitter:

http://www.facebook.com/steampig

http://www.facebook....mermannartprize

Edited by fotoman311

There's apparently going to be a sculpture garden installed in the parking lot between WMCAT and Brian's Books. Not sure when that's supposed to go in, but probably not until a few days before (the lot is used for parking).

And yes, the mural on the Grandville building is an ArtPrize entry.

There will be a circus type entry (Cirque Acirca) in the parking lot at the Press building, with a mural painted on the asphalt.

Slightly offtopic :offtopic:

With ArtPrize around the corner, I'm sure the traffic around here will pick-up (it's been slower for a while, seems to me). I 'm thinking some of the traffic here spilled over to a certain microblogging site. If that's the case, I would love to follow fellow planeteers, especially during ArtPrize. Please PM me your userid or follow me @mteddroski.

Thanks.

Hoping that this is a venue.

08-27-10_1357.jpg

There's a mural going up on the wall at Dwelling Place. The artist said he chose that site in part because it's a non-profit, and also because it is a "leave-behind."

Check out the table-&-chairs siting in my shots from the Kroc Center thread. It fits right in.

In my Wall St Journal this morning arrived a copy of WSJ magazine with Art Prize as a featured article, entitled "Critical Mass" It's nice to see that GR is getting a bit more attention outside of the region. There are a couple of statements in there about opening up art competitions brings out lots of bad art. Yep and I've been to enough art museums that had that same bad art.

What's not so nice is the stereotyping by a couple of the art-snob-elite types that think GR is a monolithic entity; 600 churches, no mowing the lawn on Sunday, holier-than-thous. I've lived here my entire life, and perhaps that was the way things were when I was in grade school, but 20+ years later, GR is just like any other city I visit - people are people and have the attitude of do your thing, and I'll do mine.

In my Wall St Journal this morning arrived a copy of WSJ magazine with Art Prize as a featured article, entitled "Critical Mass" It's nice to see that GR is getting a bit more attention outside of the region. There are a couple of statements in there about opening up art competitions brings out lots of bad art. Yep and I've been to enough art museums that had that same bad art.

What's not so nice is the stereotyping by a couple of the art-snob-elite types that think GR is a monolithic entity; 600 churches, no mowing the lawn on Sunday, holier-than-thous. I've lived here my entire life, and perhaps that was the way things were when I was in grade school, but 20+ years later, GR is just like any other city I visit - people are people and have the attitude of do your thing, and I'll do mine.

The article mentions little about Grand Rapids, so I think your statement above is unfair.

Here's a quote:

"The whole populist concept is very foreign to art world cognoscenti, and many prominent insiders declined to comment."

The article does describe the competition as populist (ie. Thomas Kinkade has a shot at winning (shudder)) but the point is is that event is unique and acts as a strong contrast to other high-dollar elite/global art events.

"...a provocative art competition in the unlikely location of Grand Rapids MI has emerged as a model of urban revitalization and public engagement."

The article in a nutshell, basically.

I've been waiting for the WSJ to cover the event. I'm happy with it.

What's not so nice is the stereotyping by a couple of the art-snob-elite types that think GR is a monolithic entity; 600 churches, no mowing the lawn on Sunday, holier-than-thous. I've lived here my entire life, and perhaps that was the way things were when I was in grade school, but 20+ years later, GR is just like any other city I visit...

.... in West Michigan.

Don't want to get off-topic, but this is precisely the opinion I've formed of most Grand Rapidians in the four years I've lived here. Obviously there are pockets of exception, such as Eastown.

What I found irritating about Art Prize last year was the Art Snobs who assumed the event was for them. Their constant wittering and complaining about what is/isn't art is no doubt the reason there's a special prize chosen by "artists" this year, negating the need for a last-miinute pity prize for the likes of Young Kim. IMO, the event is for the populace and the winner is (or at least should be) decided by the populace. Artists may produce art, but are only a small fraction of those people who buy it. It's hard to argue what the consumer considers art is wrong, when the consumer is defying that by the exhibits they visit and the pieces they buy. Despite the protestations regarding the Table & Chairs on the blue bridge, and Nessie in the Grand, etc., just count how many times their image is used to promote and attract visitors to this year's event compared to a 2d copy of a wave photo.

.... in West Michigan.

Don't want to get off-topic, but this is precisely the opinion I've formed of most Grand Rapidians in the four years I've lived here. Obviously there are pockets of exception, such as Eastown.

What I found irritating about Art Prize last year was the Art Snobs who assumed the event was for them. Their constant wittering and complaining about what is/isn't art is no doubt the reason there's a special prize chosen by "artists" this year, negating the need for a last-miinute pity prize for the likes of Young Kim. IMO, the event is for the populace and the winner is (or at least should be) decided by the populace. Artists may produce art, but are only a small fraction of those people who buy it. It's hard to argue what the consumer considers art is wrong, when the consumer is defying that by the exhibits they visit and the pieces they buy. Despite the protestations regarding the Table & Chairs on the blue bridge, and Nessie in the Grand, etc., just count how many times their image is used to promote and attract visitors to this year's event compared to a 2d copy of a wave photo.

I cringe every time I see those photos. :unsure:

Love 'em or hate 'em, they were the main reason Art Prize received so much publicity last year, and therefore why it drew so many people.

I fully agree.... big displays in public places were the engine of ArtPrize attendance.

I suspect they will be again this year.

Also, pre-party tonight at The Factory, 7pm. Details on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=139651806078017

Please post lots of pictures!!!! I live in South Korea and cannot see anything :(

I don't know how many planeteers are going to have time to post pics this year, but you should follow the AP flickr groups:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/artprizegr/pool/with/4970064856/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1509877@N23/pool/with/4970064856/

One thing I was hoping for was to have many of the vacant storefront in DT area be turned into temporary galleries. Last year, Progressive AE used an empty space in the Peacock building (Corner of Jefferson and Fulton) as one.

From the looks of it, that same space is being used again, but that building now has, I think, five empty fronts with nothing going on. The building across from it also has some empty space, and the former "Eyekon" gallery is also empty.

One thing I was hoping for was to have many of the vacant storefront in DT area be turned into temporary galleries. Last year, Progressive AE used an empty space in the Peacock building (Corner of Jefferson and Fulton) as one.

From the looks of it, that same space is being used again, but that building now has, I think, five empty fronts with nothing going on. The building across from it also has some empty space, and the former "Eyekon" gallery is also empty.

Dog Story Theater just moved into space in the Peacock building:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/09162010DogStory.aspx

And I did hear the Eyekons has had several parties looking at it. Haven't heard any updates yet though.

Please post lots of pictures!!!! I live in South Korea and cannot see anything :(

Check the GRPress site, as they are doing a great job with daily updates and loads of photos.

Yesterday was really hopping DT. There weren't 100k extra people walking around, but several hundred visitors with cameras in each location I visited. Major artist install day, with lots of activity along the Pearl and Fulton areas. Highlights:

--The metal flower folks (2009 WOOD-TV hedge) have moved to the grassy area out front of the Holiday Inn. Closer to the building are at least two other artists. And it looks like the inn has added bike rental.

--Public Museum/GVSU have a ton of art. The stolen globe driftwood piece is in a remote location along the riverwalk. (I would guess that the globe was immediately tossed into the river, and the partier perp is keeping shut about it, if he even remembers.) No large-scale river-based installations this year, but lots of stuff long the banks.

--The Y will have a large indoor expo (and it is not open until Weds, so don't even bother trying to catch a sneak peek through the windows even if you are a member). And there's a very large piece out front; more are coming.

--Ford Museum is an expo center. (I don't care for the "restrooms are for museum patrons only" signage on the front door. How unfriendly. Would make more sense to add a banner to the public restroom building.) There's a huge bouquet of metal butterflies out front (similar themes to the messages conveyed by Table & Chairs) and lots of installs near the fountain and on the park.

--The construction folks were working on Sunday to get the ampitheatre and riverwalk upgrades done.

--Ped bridge features two artists. One is inadvertently channeling the "tooth fairy" with her banners of smiling pearly-whites. (Being from California, she had no idea; I referred her to Mark Heckman's FB page.)

The other features a dumpster with live trees planted in it along with "trash bags." He's added signage explaining that this is for A/P and not a collection receptacle. The trees are on loan from a local nursery, wearing those "gator" bags, and he expressed concern about how much they would drink and how he could make sure the bags stayed full. I said I wonder where you could get some water, and after we stopped laughing, offered some ideas.

--WMCAT parking lot has a garden and a couple of sculptures. GRCM has three life-sized metal elephants with moving heads. (The baby one has been immobilized, probably due to its height matching that of youngsters with soft skulls.)

--Lots of folks riding bikes around town. Yes, The Rapid has expanded its A/P shuttle (park & ride from any Meijer); it looks like the word has gotten out.

Was biking around downtown yesterday and came across one of the pianos for the ArtPrize entry "Play Me, I'm Yours" by Luke Jerram.

I sat down and started playing. A couple people gathered around and watched me play. The owner of El Sombrero came up and offered me free chips and pop.

It was a wonderful experience playing a piano on a sidewalk with people watching and cars zooming by.

Speaking of ArtPrize are there any open pre-parties other than the one I list/link below?

Art Prize Pre-Party at The Factory

Sep 15th, 7pm-9pm

(please RSVP)

http://www.facebook....06078017&ref=ts

Suydam- Here are some of the other parties and events (got this from the ArtPrize website; there are more listed there, too):

Thursday, September 23

Westside Neighborhood Party

8 – 10:30pm

Corner of Seward Ave and 5th St

Details:

Westside residents and ArtPrize fans are invited to gather together for a night at the movies... in an untraditional way. Bring your chair and blanket and escape to mid-1950’s Manhattan for a special outdoor screening of West Side Story. The concessions are on the house! Brought to you by Celebration! Cinema.

Friday, September 24

Hillside Neighborhood Party

5 – 7pm

Gay Ave, between Washington and Fulton

Grand Rapids, MI

Details:

This neighborhood street party will spotlight the talent of Grand Rapids' theatre district for a beer-tasting happy hour with some of Michigan’s best-loved brews. ArtPrize is all about exploration and conversation, and so is this unique event! Brought to you by Founders Brewing Company.

Saturday, September 25

Center City Neighborhood Party/ArtPrize Concert: SURFER BLOOD Series

7 – 10pm

Rosa Parks Circle

Corner of Monroe Ave and Monroe Center

Grand Rapids, MI

Details:

Center City will be bustling with art fans and music lovers alike for the first of three concerts during ArtPrize 2010.

Headlining: SURFER BLOOD

Taking the stage will be Surfer Blood, an indie-rock band from West Palm Beach, Florida, who released their debut album in early 2010 to favorable reviews.

Brought to you by Stella Artois.

Monday, September 27

Monroe North Belknap Neighborhood Party

8 – 10pm

Cambridge House

600 Monroe Ave NW

Grand Rapids, MI

Details:

It’s game night! Artists and public are invited to square off in competition while enjoying snacks and draft specials. Come on over after an evening of enjoying the venues in the Monroe North/Belknap area. Brought to you by Cambridge House.

Thursday, September 30

Westside Neighborhood Day

All Day

Westside

Details:

Westside Neighborhood Day is a day for local businesses, associations, communities, and ArtPrize venues to draw ArtPrize participants to the Westside through events, programming, specials, and more. What to do? It’s up to you!

Friday October 1

Hillside Neighborhood Day

All Day

Hillside

Details:

Hillside Neighborhood Day is a day for local businesses, associations, communities, and ArtPrize venues to draw ArtPrize participants to the Hillside through events, programming, specials, and more. What to do? It’s up to you!

Here are some pics from my first hour tonight (more to follow).

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/ArtPrize2010

I am lovin' those pianos.

file0008.jpg

Hey! I know! What if there were tubas strolling the streets of GR? THAT would be BIG fun!!!

(seriously)

Hey! I know! What if there were tubas strolling the streets of GR? THAT would be BIG fun!!!

(seriously)

There are enough folks standing in line to play at the pianos that I could haul my heavy metal DT and jump into an ensemble. Perhaps later in the week.

Go see the Gateway building, State St (brick) across from GRPizza Delivery. Fourteen artists, free parking, spacious, free parking, incredible work done by the two showroom window artists to make it into a lovely gallery space. And did I mention free parking? (The Womens City Club is, inexplicably, using Ellis to control their two lots, at $7/throw.)

Full disclaimer: I've known Nancy Swearingen some 20 years, had no idea she was doing ArtPrize.

I kept expecting things to be less busy on Sunday. I was thinking that some places that seemed a little too packed would be more easily navigable today. After seeing today's crowds, I think ArtPrize should really throw out the age-old (and imho incredibly annoying) close-early-on-Sundays concept. I think this was the busiest day yet.

It was totally packed!

I've never remembered there being a line to get into the art museum last year, even during the paper airplanes event!

Art Prize is the only thing to make a Sunday into a Saturday in GR.

And this is only weekend 1!