GRDadof3

ArtPrize - Grand Rapids

Quick question. Me and wife go to art prize every year but always have trouble finding restrooms open to the public. While walking around looking at all the art sometimes people need to pee. So if someone could name off some public restrooms that would be great. 

1 minute ago, SupercityGR said:

Quick question. Me and wife go to art prize every year but always have trouble finding restrooms open to the public. While walking around looking at all the art sometimes people need to pee. So if someone could name off some public restrooms that would be great. 

Rosa Parks Circle @ Monroe and Louis.  I don't know, but I can't imagine they are closed during art-prize.  The lobby of the Amway Grand also comes to mind.

3 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

As discgrab21 said Rosa Parks Circle has a public restroom building.  As does Ah-Nab-Awen Park and Heartside Park.

If you have the Artprize app the map on it can tell you which venues near you have restrooms open to the public.  Or you can use the map at the Artprize website here. On the map click the gear and then check the box for Public Restrooms.

• Like 2

There's bathrooms in the Monroe entrance of City Hall.  Just go through the doors and to the left.  Also across the street at DeVos Place.

I guess that big tent festival on the riverfront didn't go so well, as they're not back this year.

I did see that there's an ArtPrize street fest going on all day today and tonight in Monroe North by The Garage on Ottawa, called ArtBeat? 

I'm not and cold on ArtPrize every year, but I really thought there was some good work this past year. I obviously like to see the big sensational work along the river, which seemed to be missing this year, but I really enjoyed several of the venues a lot. GRAM particularly I felt was better this year than last. UICA was meh this year. 

Art Prize "Officially" starts in two days.  I was just downtown walking around and noted that there are VERY few pieces set up in public spaces.  What gives?  Is there a more intentional attempt  by AP to spread out the art to various venues outside the Central Business District?

34 minutes ago, KCLBADave said:

Art Prize "Officially" starts in two days.  I was just downtown walking around and noted that there are VERY few pieces set up in public spaces.  What gives?  Is there a more intentional attempt  by AP to spread out the art to various venues outside the Central Business District?

Actually, I think the opposite. I think AP has offered funding for outdoor large spectacle works in the CBD, but the number of artists who do this is pretty limited, and very few of them have made the top 10 in the past. 

I mentioned somewhere else that I wasn't sure if it was just me but that I wasn't feeling the buzz about ArtPrize this year like I have in years past.  Did AP jump the shark with their attempt to expand to Texas and all that hooha?  I suppose the crowds will be the best indication.  Here's hoping all is still well.  I think it's a great event.

It honestly doesn't "feel" the same.  I  do see that the number of entries is down slightly, and big player such as Site Lab are not in it this time. Of course the BOB can no longer host a parking lot of entries either. The competition could be going through an awkward middle period where it has to start a 2nd act because things have become too predictable. I see that the new construction will actually renew things because we will have so many new potential venues to replace some old favorites or ones where they just arent interested in participating.

I'm sure it will still draw people in, but DT is now doing that all on its own all year, so maybe we just can no longer notice the crowds because it's kind of always like this now?

4 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It honestly doesn't "feel" the same.  I  do see that the number of entries is down slightly, and big player such as Site Lab are not in it this time. Of course the BOB can no longer host a parking lot of entries either. The competition could be going through an awkward middle period where it has to start a 2nd act because things have become too predictable. I see that the new construction will actually renew things because we will have so many new potential venues to replace some old favorites or ones where they just arent interested in participating.

I'm sure it will still draw people in, but DT is now doing that all on its own all year, so maybe we just can no longer notice the crowds because it's kind of always like this now?

Whatchu talkin bout? Site.Lab is part of ArtPrize this year. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/280889585727964/

I think it could go from 500,000 to 250,000 visitors and the average layperson or even UrbanPlaneteer wouldn't notice.  In fact, who actually counts all those attendees? The Ford Museum traditionally sees the most visitors every year and they got around 200,000 last year. I think GRAM gets 100 - 150,000 depending on how many finalists they have. 

But seriously, downtown is NOTICEABLY busier when AP is going on, by a long shot. 

• Like 1

Site:Lab isn't a real venue this year. They are throwing a couple of parties but will be back as an official venue next year. 

I saw a lot of setup going on today. With the warm weather forecasted this weekend, I bet it'll be crazy downtown. 

Joe

38 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Site:Lab isn't a real venue this year. They are throwing a couple of parties but will be back as an official venue next year. 

I saw a lot of setup going on today. With the warm weather forecasted this weekend, I bet it'll be crazy downtown. 

Joe

Oh you're right Joe. I kept getting Facebook notices from them so I assumed (incorrectly) that they were a venue again this year. Shame on me for not reading FB event invites. :)

• Like 1

One thing that has changed in the last few years is Mlive's coverage of the event. They used to be a "media partner" and would run non stop articles for weeks before ArtPrize, during ArtPrize, after ArtPrize. One year I counted 48 articles/slideshows/pieces before ArtPrize had even begun! (and I think I called them out on it). 

Now:

http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids/

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

One thing that has changed in the last few years is Mlive's coverage of the event. They used to be a "media partner" and would run non stop articles for weeks before ArtPrize, during ArtPrize, after ArtPrize. One year I counted 48 articles/slideshows/pieces before ArtPrize had even begun! (and I think I called them out on it). 

Now:

http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids/

I did notice the incredible lack of coverage from the  Press, but they still are the "Official Provider of the 2017 ArtPrize Event Guide."   I understand that's not the same as a media sponsor, but they are the local paper.  I personally would prefer over the top coverage that absolutely no coverage.   I'm coming in this weekend, and believe it or not still rely on Mlive for info on whats going on.   

8 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I did notice the incredible lack of coverage from the  Press, but they still are the "Official Provider of the 2017 ArtPrize Event Guide."   I understand that's not the same as a media sponsor, but they are the local paper.  I personally would prefer over the top coverage that absolutely no coverage.   I'm coming in this weekend, and believe it or not still rely on Mlive for info on whats going on.   

There's obviously a fine line. I think their coverage now is fine, but when they were full-blown covering the event ad nauseum, they were essentially acting as  free marketing arm of the event, providing $Millions in free publicity. And at the expense of covering other news and at the expense of not covering other events in the community. Their first role in the community is to be a news and journalism outlet (one of the few left). That used to be their role anyway. 

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

My guide to ArtPrize 2107 just popped up on Mlive 9 minutes  ago.  Thank God!  :lol:

The guide is pretty nice. Just like the guide for Festival every year. 

The old city water building on Monroe and Coldbrook is being curated by Richard App and is also hosting a food truck carnival/rally thingy that looks promising. I wonder with the warm weather, developments and the improvements to the river path if Monroe  North will be bumping.

4 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

The old city water building on Monroe and Coldbrook is being curated by Richard App and is also hosting a food truck carnival/rally thingy that looks promising. I wonder with the warm weather, developments and the improvements to the river path if Monroe  North will be bumping.

MSU has jumped into it already this year. There's a man in a birdcage (sculpture) and a couple of other outdoor installations. 

• Like 1