Westin Peachtree Plaza Renovation

dmccall

A year after the tornado hit, the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel still stands with well over 100 glass panels missing. The glass is not made any more and it doesn't meet code. Therefore custom glass panels made to match the rest of the building wouldn't be up to code, so there is no way to match the existing panels.

Every single panel of glass is being replaced. The new panels will have a bronze cast, so the building will be more reflective. Construction starts in May, and they are starting from the top proceeding downward.

During this entire year rooms with missing panels have been unavailable for sale, and the dramatic exterior glass elevators that take people up to the Sundial have been blacked in, so there is absolutely no view for now on this normally fantastic downtown feature. The Sundial is open, but diners get about 4 plywood windows in their rotation.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year after the tornado hit, the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel still stands with well over 100 glass panels missing. The glass is not made any more and it doesn't meet code. Therefore custom glass panels made to match the rest of the building wouldn't be up to code, so there is no way to match the existing panels.

Every single panel of glass is being replaced. The new panels will have a bronze cast, so the building will be more reflective. Construction starts in May, and they are starting from the top proceeding downward.

During this entire year rooms with missing panels have been unavailable for sale, and the dramatic exterior glass elevators that take people up to the Sundial have been blacked in, so there is absolutely no view for now on this normally fantastic downtown feature. The Sundial is open, but diners get about 4 plywood windows in their rotation.

Bronze glass? Wow, how...80s

Good to hear this news. I hope they got it done soon. I'm getting tired of those broken windows.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, LOL.

It really must damage the Sundial experience having to look at plywood panels instead of glass windows.

They are redoing the Peachtree Plaza Hotel's exterior in bronze? But several people liked the hotel in its blue colour. Should the new bronze-coloured glass be repainted blue? And can glass even be repainted a different colour? Should have thought of bronze-coloured glass facade when the hotel was originally built in the mid-70s. Also is the hotel gonna be closed during the facade replacement?

• 3 months later...

Well its been way past May and the latest was that repair date was moved to mid July... Now im hearing repair dates have been moved to sometime in mid to late September.... Please some body stop the madness... This is ATLANTA'S signture Skyscraper and not enough heat or media coverage has been put on the issue... In my opinon Atlanta's ego has been brused for well over a year with no help to heal the wounds.... No point intended... :dontknow:

• 1 year later...

Ok, it's November of 2010 and the entire tower including all of the atrium glass has been completed on time, within budget, and ahead of schedule. The scenic elevators have also been renovated and instead of round light bulbs on the exterior of the cabs, now features blue neon, how cool.

As far as the bronze tint, it is slight. You can hardly tell the difference between this glass and the old glass.

The interior panels that hold the glass as well as the railing that wraps around the glass has been painted a off white rather than that 70's brown.

When I spoke to Mr. Ed Walls, the hotel's General Manager, he told me after the glass refurbishment, a total interior renovation would be done on the hotel including the lobby and work should start in early 2011.

Archived