Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

5 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

LOL...thanks for sharing...those are some unattractive structures  that will (unfortunately) be seen for many years.  I like Nashville's expensive building...someone pulled strings to get that elaborate design.

23 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

LOL...thanks for sharing...those are some unattractive structures  that will (unfortunately) be seen for many years.  I like Nashville's expensive building...someone pulled strings to get that elaborate design.

1. Each of those is infinitely better than the last known Greenville design.

2. Even assuming these were bad, the argument would be roughly equivalent to “my car is pretty good, I’ve seen plenty of worse cars”

• 1 month later...

Latest update: 

In Dec. 2018, GSA executed a contract option for construction phase services and issued a limited Notice to proceed. The construction contractor (Brasfield & Gorrie) is currently planned to mobilize in March 2019 with groundbreaking taking place this same month.

The architect/engineer is scheduled to submit the balance of the 100 percent construction documents and specifications by the end of Jan. 2019.

Edited by gman430

Thanks for the update, Gman.

We still haven't seen this go before the DRB.  :dontknow:

Edit: What I found in the GSA guidelines reads as follows. It could have been carried out previously as an informal review that we were not privy to as the public, or the jurisdiction could have waived the opportunity (which I doubt):

Zoning and other considerations relating to urban design issues. The design team should offer local officials an opportunity to informally review and comment on the design concept, for compatibility with local plans, zoning, and design guidelines. Key design milestones, such as at initial concepts and around the project’s peer review sessions, offer logical timeframes for these reviews and can be especially helpful to the designers. If local officials choose to review the concept, the GSA project manager should establish a concise window in which comments can be accepted (e.g., no longer than 30 days), and this should be coordinated with the project design schedule. If local officials choose not to review the design concept, this should be noted in the project file.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...
On January 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM, gman430 said:

Latest update: 

In Dec. 2018, GSA executed a contract option for construction phase services and issued a limited Notice to proceed. The construction contractor (Brasfield & Gorrie) is currently planned to mobilize in March 2019 with groundbreaking taking place this same month.

The architect/engineer is scheduled to submit the balance of the 100 percent construction documents and specifications by the end of Jan. 2019.

Wondering....January  ends tomorrow. :dontknow:

16 hours ago, apaladin said:

Definitely not tall enough!!

Agreed. I was about to say " Come on, let's get something with some height here," but then I remembered where we live and that this fits right in with every other crane we've seen! :silly:

Greenville cranes:

See the source image

Regular city Crane:

See the source image

Real Crane (this is where it's at!)

See the source image

Edited by distortedlogic

https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/regions/welcome-to-the-southeast-sunbelt-region-4/buildings-and-facilities/south-carolina/new-greenville-us-courthouse

This site has a few updates. Says contractor and Groundbreaking ready to go for March. Rendering has not changed on site at least. 

Even though it is short, something like this would be very nice.

https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/regions/welcome-to-the-southeast-sunbelt-region-4/federal-buildings-facilities

Edited by distortedlogic

2 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Was by there last night and several trucks and equipment were on site. May not be related to this site but they were there. 

Yeah, that’s CCS moving electric utilities that are currently under the project site so construction can start. Piedmont Natural Gas is in process of moving their lines also. Moving of the water lines is now complete.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:46 AM, gman430 said:

It doesn’t have to. GSA doesn’t need city approval to build the structure due to it being a federal agency and building. 

I did note in an old Greenville Journal article that "Mayor Knox White said the city is having discussions with the GSA’s Atlanta office in regards to design, parking and landscape compatibility issues." Hopefully it won't be a monstrosity.