Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

Tower crane base arriving on site as we speak. Same style as the one at office/condo site at Camperdown. :) Oh and somebody check on Apaladin. I think he just fainted again. :lol: 

E700A524-9FF4-44AD-8BDB-13DE817C797C.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Tower crane base arriving on site as we speak. Same style as the one at office/condo site at Camperdown. :) Oh and somebody check on Apaladin. I think he just fainted again. :lol: 

apaladin will be there making sure it's erected correctly in the right location.   :D

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

I did when I saw this but I am OK now. Was just thinking today it was about time for it. I'll have to check on it tomorrow.  :yahoo:

On 4/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, SVL said:

This is the rendering at the jobsite:

enhance

I mostly like this building. I love art deco architecture, and I feel like the details will be high quality. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of one extra window column on either side from the front.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I mostly like this building. I love art deco architecture, and I feel like the details will be high quality. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of one extra window column on either side from the front.

I generally love art deco architecture as well.  Something similar to the Dominion Public Building (1936) in Halifax, Nova Scotia, would be nice, per your recommendation for an additional window column on either side.  I also love the detail of the "pinnacle" element on that building.

Edited by Skyliner

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

I really don’t like any aspect of this building.  

2 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I really don’t like any aspect of this building.  

We can relax...CLT has rendered his opinion for the new federal courthouse. Apparently, we can assume 'any aspect' includes the site/location downtown.  He would likely be happy if it was being built in Charlotte...where he's located.      

18 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

We can relax...CLT has rendered his opinion for the new federal courthouse. Apparently, we can assume 'any aspect' includes the site/location downtown.  He would likely be happy if it was being built in Charlotte...where he's located.      

I don’t think he’s in Charlotte. Just a hunch. Lol. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, Spartan said:

Looks very Citadel like :-)

On 5/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, Skyliner said:

I generally love art deco architecture as well.  Something similar to the Dominion Public Building (1936) in Halifax, Nova Scotia, would be nice, per your recommendation for an additional window column on either side.  I also love the detail of the "pinnacle" element on that building.

Click here to see another angle of the Dominion Public Building in Halifax, which I believe is somewhat similar to the original rendering of our new federal courthouse, but a much better design overall, albeit with less floors.  It is not perfect, but is closer to my idea of a clean and attractive design.

Edited by Skyliner

11 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

Click here to see another angle of the Dominion Public Building in Halifax, which I believe is somewhat similar to the original rendering of our new federal courthouse, but a much better design overall, albeit with less floors.  It is not perfect, but is closer to my idea of a clean and attractive design.

I could go with that. I love that it doesn't look sawed off on top, but we only do flat roofs 'round here. 

• Like 1

Anybody know the height in feet of this building? I was recently in St. Louis and noticed that the Mel Carnahan Courthouse was not unlike this one in many ways--only much larger of course and much better looking. According to Emporis, it's 10 stories and 161 ft. If the Greenville courthouse is, in fact, going to be 10 stories, then I suppose we're looking at 150 ft or more.

But I would have preferred a smaller version of St. Louis's Civil Courts Building!

And a plug for St. Louis: in addition to the Arch and the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, there's a boatload of beautiful old buildings of all types, both DT and distributed along the big east-west blvds all the way around and past Forest Park (50% bigger than Central Park) to Clayton, which is a second DT comparable in size to DT Birmingham or Richmond. And the cityscape is almost European: it's rolling terrain with "monumental" buildings sitting on many of the city's high points. Lots of free stuff to do and outstanding restaurants.

Whatever might account for the city's precipitous decline in population over the last half-century (well over 50%), it's still a beautiful city.