gman430

Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

31 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I am baffled how they figure it’s gonna take 13 months to build four floors. :dontknow: It doesn’t take more than 2-3 weeks to build a floor. :huh: 

I think you’re confusing the year..? It will be topped out by January, right?

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

I think you’re confusing the year..? It will be topped out by January, right?

Whoops...you’re right. Read it wrong. Lol.

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Each floor looks to be at least 20 feet tall. Seven floors puts that at 140 feet.

140 feet from the basement floor. Somewhat less above grade. More like 120? A massive mid-rise?

1 hour ago, Exile said:

140 feet from the basement floor. Somewhat less above grade. More like 120? A massive mid-rise?

Going off the shorter tower crane height, the building looks like it will top out at 150 feet from the basement floor so probably at 130 feet or so above grade. The site does sit on one of the higher elevation spots downtown so that helps. 

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Going off the shorter tower crane height, the building looks like it will top out at 150 feet from the basement floor so probably at 130 feet or so above grade. The site does sit on one of the higher elevation spots downtown so that helps. 

Meh, another low rise, just above tree line. Maybe one day we'll get a highrise. 

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Meh, another low rise, just above tree line. Maybe one day we'll get a highrise. 

Don’t count on it with the new city council. They’ll probably pass some stupid law where nothing can be over 50 feet tall. 

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Personally I'd rather the entirety of downtown gets filled in with midrise, I just don't want to see any vacant lots or surface parking lots. High rise can wait until we get to that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, gman430 said:

According to Emporis it's 128 feet.

The conventional wisdom expressed on UP is that the floors--all of them--in the Courthouse building will be a good bit taller than the floors in a typical office building. Are we talking floor heights comparable to the first and third floors of the Falls Tower? If so, then the current height of the FT is probably roughly the same height as, or maybe a few feet shorter, than the finished height of the Courthouse. From Japanese Dogwood Lane.

Is this accurate?

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 10.50.24 AM.png

I would say the Camperdown building is right around 135-140 feet tall right now with the newest floor that just started going up if I had to guess. That is pretty much right around the same height the federal courthouse is going to be. 

You get a really good sense just how tall the floors are going to be just off the construction workers hanging off the side of the vertical rebar walls in the below pic. These next few floors look to be at least 20-25 feet tall each.

FFFF26-FA-48-EF-4649-8509-4-E81545-CCB67

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

You get a really good sense just how tall the floors are going off the construction workers hanging off the side of the vertical rebar walls in the below pic. These next few floors look to be at least 20-25 feet tall each.

This will be an impressive structure in the city....

I still believe this building is going to be taller than people think due to the height of the tower cranes. Why make the cranes that high if the building is going to be short? 

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

6-FE7-AF0-B-1-EC1-45-E0-A3-DB-AEAAE308-B

I always liked that Former Palmetto Bank building.  A good example of how a modern building can mimic an antique building with classical architecture and look good. This new courthouse will complement that building quite well. Next we'll need a building in it's parking lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Two more floors for 6 total? 

Technically. The height of the tower cranes though tells me there is going to be more on top of that. Why make the cranes that tall if the building isn't going to be that tall? There are no current tall buildings next door that the cranes have to overlap so that can't be the reason for the height of them. 

Edited by gman430

World’s slowest construction project. Been stuck on the same floor for two months now. So much for topping out in December. :ermm:

Edited by gman430