Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

gman430, those are great pictures (in this thread and others).  Thank you very much for sharing them.

I'm intrigued by seeing that the stone surface on the courthouse is just a thin layer, applied on top of another surface.  That indicates how easy it should be to re-clad buildings with aging exteriors that need upgrades, such as the Daniel Building and the BofA building across from First Presbyterian.  There is hope!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Skyliner said:

I actually like this building.  It has a distinctly formal appearance and fits into the fabric of downtown without screaming for attention.

Same here. The architecture matches up really well with its surroundings and actually looks like a federal courthouse. Reminds me a lot of the size and scale of the federal courthouse in Austin. 

• Like 1

To clarify, I do not consider the design of Greenville's new federal courthouse to be particularly attractive.  Several design elements could have been added or rearranged to create a more spectacular structure.  However, compared with several of the GSA-approved designs in other cities, this building is definitely likable.  The new county courthouse in Spartanburg should be attractive (definitely moreso than the current bland building on Magnolia Street).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...